Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG

A series of agents was unable to locate any examples of availability which they claim is in "C" class or is it "R"?. Any pointers how to have better odds of upgrading using kms from Y to W? I do have an Expert Flyer subscription.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
What, no coupons left, plashba?

Interesting question, what fares class does an upgrade into Premium Economy book into? Don't know.

ExpertFlyer does not give award tix information for LAN (except for Lan Ecuador by mistake) but is does give W information...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Interesting question, what fares class does an upgrade into Premium Economy book into? Don't know.
Well, I didn't know, but now I know, I now know that upgrades into Premium Economy book into...

drum roll...

"C".
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Well, I didn't know, but now I know, I now know that upgrades into Premium Economy book into...

drum roll...

"C".
Thanks Bingo. Yes, I have confirmed that with several agents. The problem for me is that "C" inventory for W is like "U" inventory for J --- hidden from view in Expert Flyer. I am assuming only LAN agents can see it which means I have to keep calling instead of searching myself which is always my preference. One agent yesterday did suggest that it was possible LAN would release the inventory to me at 48 hours if it had still not become available (assuming there are still seats). I guess we'll see. WHat I am wondering is if if anyone has been successful in booking into "C" well in advance.

On an related note: I still don't know what "R" class is for but is loaded into the visible inventory of all those flights with W (always R0 though -- e.g. on most flights you see W7 P7 R0 and then all the Economy classes The same seems to hold true for flights equipped with J which routinely show as J7 D7 I7 R0 which makes me wonder if "R" is really "U" and "C" incognito!).

Last edited by phlashba; Mar 28, 2013 at 11:40 pm
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:43 am

I'll ask about R.

I have been told that statement "that it is possible LAN would release the award inventory at 48 hours" by a couple of agents and found it to be quite true for U. So much so that I have factored it into a fall back option. Many non-FT people do not know this so it should be easy to snap it up. In fact, on one occasion I have done so successfully. Likely it is equally true for C.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by phlashba
Thanks Bingo. Yes, I have confirmed that with several agents. The problem for me is that "C" inventory for W is like "U" inventory for J --- hidden from view in Expert Flyer. I am assuming only LAN agents can see it which means I have to keep calling instead of searching myself which is always my preference. One agent yesterday did suggest that it was possible LAN would release the inventory to me at 48 hours if it had still not become available (assuming there are still seats). I guess we'll see. WHat I am wondering is if if anyone has been successful in booking into "C" well in advance.

On an related note: I still don't know what "R" class is for but is loaded into the visible inventory of all those flights with W (always R0 though -- e.g. on most flights you see W7 P7 R0 and then all the Economy classes The same seems to hold true for flights equipped with J which routinely show as J7 D7 I7 R0 which makes me wonder if "R" is really "U" and "C" incognito!).
Me too, I like to search for myself first. Here is my method:

Using Canje de kms, select cabina economy at the bottom, to search your route with sample dates and route to get the availability grid
Look for the dates that show up as available. Since the grid is weekly, not so hard to cycle through time.
Select an available date, at the top got back to fechas using an available date and change to cabina Premium Economy and voila it gives you C fares.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Me too, I like to search for myself first. Here is my method:

Using Canje de kms, select cabina economy at the bottom, to search your route with sample dates and route to get the availability grid
Look for the dates that show up as available. Since the grid is weekly, not so hard to cycle through time.
Select an available date, at the top got back to fechas using an available date and change to cabina Premium Economy and voila it gives you C fares.
Sorry Bingo but you lost me. Not sure I understand your method.

On top of that I have the additional challenge that if they do agree to release inventory at 48 hours it is only for a one way upgrade ---- so how will that work since all kms upgrades are priced as roundtrip? To be clear: this is for EZE-UIO only.

In any case I am delighted to hear a real world example of LANPASS releasing inventory on request!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by phlashba
Sorry Bingo but you lost me. Not sure I understand your method.

On top of that I have the additional challenge that if they do agree to release inventory at 48 hours it is only for a one way upgrade ---- so how will that work since all kms upgrades are priced as roundtrip? To be clear: this is for EZE-UIO only.

In any case I am delighted to hear a real world example of LANPASS releasing inventory on request!
No, KM upgrades are per direction. You would get the one direction at 48 hours and have to do same for return later.

So you want EZE-UIO, what dates, I'll look too edit: later

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:43 am Reason: gotta go
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

no, km upgrades are per direction. You would get the one direction at 48 hours and have to do same for return later.

So you want eze-uio, what dates, i'll look too edit: Later
thanks! YHPM
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: LATAM Black Signature, SPG Ambassador LT Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'll ask about R.

I have been told that statement "that it is possible LAN would release the award inventory at 48 hours" by a couple of agents and found it to be quite true for U. So much so that I have factored it into a fall back option. Many non-FT people do not know this so it should be easy to snap it up. In fact, on one occasion I have done so successfully. Likely it is equally true for C.
I can also vouch for that. This info is also only known by elite callcenter agents (for I once asked in an agency and got the "..."? kind of look ). If 48 hrs before departure there's still seats in I, they will let you grab one of those by moving it to the U inventory. I just did this for a SCL-SYD roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.