Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm also curious to know what my situation will involve...I'm flying:

11 April: CUZ-LIM 09:55-11:20 (LAN 2022)
12 April: LIM-MIA 01:05-07:50 (LAN 2514)

So I have a ~14 hour layover in LIM and am planning to go into the city for the day, so I'm hoping that I can check my bag in CUZ all the way through to MIA and not have to re-claim it in LIM. Has anyone had a recent experience with a similar connection?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
tmm1012

Big question is are the flights on the same ticket? If so you should be OK on checking them through. Different tickets will likely cause issues with LAN just because you'll be dealing with LIM and I'm not sure how well CUZ handles situations like that. The OW rule about checking through OW-OW should apply but there might be an issue with the layover. Just be ready if you get the bags checked through to ask the GA if your bags are on the flight, had a 14hr layover connecting from EZE a couple of years back and my bags were about 2 day behind me after they missed the next two flights to LAX from LIM.

Of course with LAN YMMV! Especially dealing with LP!!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I am thinking they will tag it all the way through. Problematic is the 14 hour wait. Problematic in that it relies on good baggage handling, they will put it aside and need to remember to fetch it. Plan B would be to use the left baggage office just outside domestics arrivals. But that would require you insist at CUZ they check the baggie to LIM only, pretty sure if they know you have a LAN LIM-MIA they will tag it that way.

Please, let us know because similar Qs has been asked before.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Big question is are the flights on the same ticket?
Should have clarified this - yes, it is all one ticket. In a perfect world, it would be nice to check the bags all the way through and have everything go smoothly. But in a way, if the bags sitting during a 14 hour layover in LIM is iffy, then maybe I'd prefer getting them back in LIM and putting it in the left baggage office (or if I just get a hotel for the day, I'll know that they'll be safe).

Thanks for the info, and I'll post an update after the trip with how it goes. If anyone sees this after mid-April, feel free to ping me to remind me to post the update!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:11 pm

Similar question here as OP. Flying CUZ-LIM on Lan, connecting to LIM-EWR on UA in early May. Choosing between a CUZ-LIM flight that will give me either 3 hours or 4.5 hours to connect in LIM. The above indicates 3 hours should be sufficient - even with a 1 hour delay. Is this generally the consensus? I've head CUZ is a great city so would like to maximize our time there, though 1.5 hours isn't worth the pain of having to miss the one flight of the day.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm flying CUZ-LIM on LAN, arriving at 6:55am. On a separate ticket, I'm flying AA LIM-MIA, departing at 8:10am (1hr 15min connection). I know this is reckless, but it was my only option with award availability. For what it's worth, I'll have the AA boarding pass sent to my phone the previous day.

Is it possible to make this connection if I carry-on my luggage instead of checking it? Do I have to clear security/customs at all during this connection?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Should be able to get LAN to check your bags through, just make sure that the agent in CUZ checks them through. You'll need to remind them it's a Oneworld to Oneworld connection if they have a problem. You might be a tight if the LAN flight gets very much of a delay since you'll need to clear immigration and sometimes it can be a zoo but I don't remember to much of a delay at that time in the morning. Just make sure you've got a BP, it might be best to try to print out a hard copy for immigration since I haven't used a mobile BP in Lima. It's definitely closer than I'd do especially in LIM. Good Luck!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
I'm flying CUZ-LIM on LAN, arriving at 6:55am. On a separate ticket, I'm flying AA LIM-MIA, departing at 8:10am (1hr 15min connection). I know this is reckless, but it was my only option with award availability. For what it's worth, I'll have the AA boarding pass sent to my phone the previous day.

Is it possible to make this connection if I carry-on my luggage instead of checking it? Do I have to clear security/customs at all during this connection?
This connection is not within the MCT in Lima for domestic to international connections - it is 90 minutes. This itinerary is also not listed as a legal connection. So no chance of checking any bags through, because the flights don't meet the MCT.

You might make it, but you will need to go through security and passport control. Queues can be long in Lima - hard to tell whether you will make it
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:25 am

Hi! I am flying from Lima to Cusco and debating which flight to take. I plan to leave downtown Miraflores around 130pm, would a 320pm flight on LAN be doable? Not sure how domestic flights work in SA. Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Smile Lima to Cusco flight

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I am thinking they will tag it all the way through. Problematic is the 14 hour wait. Problematic in that it relies on good baggage handling, they will put it aside and need to remember to fetch it. Plan B would be to use the left baggage office just outside domestics arrivals. But that would require you insist at CUZ they check the baggie to LIM only, pretty sure if they know you have a LAN LIM-MIA they will tag it that way.

Please, let us know because similar Qs has been asked before.
Hi! I am flying from Lima to Cusco and debating which flight to take. I plan to leave downtown Miraflores around 130pm, would a 320pm flight on LAN be doable? Not sure how domestic flights work in SA. Thank you!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:40 am

What about an int'l to int'l connection? I'm condsidering a paid ticket to Lima on LAN, then a separate award ticket to MVD also on LAN. The scheduled times indicate a 2 hour transit. The big question is whether I can do an airside connection and avoid customs since they are separate tickets. Thanks...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
You can do an intl to intl connection in Lima - you do have reclear security but not immigration and customs. There is a LAN transfer desk.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I have a similar situation. I have one ticket CUZ-LIM-PTY, first segment avianca second segment Copa. I'm thinking bags would be checked through. Leaving Cuzco 715 am then leaving Lima 152 pm. Should I hang around in the airport or go to la punta for a bit and then come back around 12? I don't think security and immigration lines would be long midday since most international departures are in the late evenings.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: LANPASS
Yo have more than enough time to get your checked bags, have them stored in case they don't get checked all the way (there's a -cheap- paid service right next to the domestic baggage claim exit) and go have a look at Lima. Keep in mind, though, that traffic is a pain both ways, so the amount of time you'll effectively get to do some sightseeing is quite limited

plan leaving for the airport at 11 if you intend to be there at 12

at noon, you should be able to go through security and passport control quite quickly. I've been able to go through in about 10 minutes total at that time of day.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I had to recheck bags in LIM. Apparently a restriction of Lima airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.