Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
yes, pax need to collect bags at LIM even though tagged LIM-CUZ (first arrival international port rule)

yes, had the dogs sniffin my bag too... no problem unless they decide they need to pee

yes, they are becoming a bit silly at customs gate now that they have the two sides open

(FT trick: catch the eye of the bored funcionario pretending to look at the scanner screen... I find when he sees a bleary eyed gringo (s)he goes more bleary eyed.)

Remember at other places i.e. BOG, GYE, all bags are screened, no green light lotto.

To the poster, not to worry, a 04:30-05:00 there will be few there and as sleepy as you.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Originally Posted by Villavic
About the dog, I don't see your point, or maybe I'm missing something. Yes, dogs usually are there for detecting drugs, as in Miami i've seen Beagle dogs at the carrousel sniffing for fruits (or drugs, too?) and I always thought it's business as usual, cause I've seen that US airport lot of times.
What bothers me is that the idea of drugs ENTERING Peru would be something like bringing snow to Eskimos. So if they are drug sniffing dogs, someone got a sweetheart contract from the govt. for a service which is absolutely useless.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:17 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by david_33
What bothers me is that the idea of drugs ENTERING Peru would be something like bringing snow to Eskimos. .
Though cocaine is a peruvian (actually andean) product, it's not the only drug in the world. The point I would agree is that I doubt dogs are trained to detect foreign drugs.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
I'm doing CUZ-LIM on LAN and LIM-SAL-LAX on Taca with 1 hour and 50 minutes to transfer in Lima. Can anyone comment on whether or not this would be okay?

I'm leaving early in the morning, leaving Cuzco at 7:15am and Lima at 10:40am

Is there usually a lot of fog in Cuzco during October?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:18 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by lrluis
I'm doing CUZ-LIM on LAN and LIM-SAL-LAX on Taca with 1 hour and 50 minutes to transfer in Lima. Can anyone comment on whether or not this would be okay?

October is still not full rainy season but maybe the transition period. However rains in the mountains are usually after noon, but in these days of global climate changes you never know. Let's say you will pick your bagagge 30 minutes after arriving, then you will walk to the Taca counter(not far), you'll be there 1h 20minutes before your depart. That's still within the allowed time, but a bit tight.

It is risky anyway. If there is any delay on your CUZ-LIM flight you'll be in trouble, especially because you can't check your bagagge for both flights.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
It would be nice if this was still true. I got a green light but because I had three bags plus my carry on the girl at the light sent me to the x-ray machine. When I complained she said "too many bags". There I was subjected to mistreatment by some idiot who works for customs. Things keep going downhill, they even had sniffer dogs at the baggage carousels. When I asked why, I was told they are checking for drugs ¿¿¿???¿¿¿??? I hope that this isn´t true and they were instead sniffing for cash. If true it will be just another example of govt. corruption.
The "too many bags" issue is a real concern at customs.
It is VERY COMMON for people to fly to Miami, go to the outlet mall or discount store and return loaded with brand name clothing, cosmetics, etc. in such large quantities that they can't be considered items for personal use or gifts. In reality, it is merchandise brought in to be sold, to make a profit.
Most people don't declare it. It is called "tax evasion".
Not saying that that was your case, or that they had the right to make you go for further inspection in spite of the green light. But I see why "too many bags" is an issue for customs agents at LIM airport.

I wonder what the dogs are sniffing for for INBOUND pax.
In any case, if there are dogs, I'd bet dogs are very busy sniffing bags of OUTBOUND passengers. Given the time of the day, maybe they found something to do for "Lassie" and sniff your bags while she was on a break
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by lrluis

A question of probability versus consequence. Measure the consequence, only you can decide if the risk is worth it. My rule of thumb is to be in the city of my international flight the day before. You are talking 2 hours! We are wavelengths apart my friend... but if all flights on time, I concur, you should be OK.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
In an effort to lower prices and offer an alternative to LIM for arriving passengers flying on to other Peru destinations, the airport in Pisco remodeling began yesterday. They will be charging airlines 40% less than LIM tariffs.

http://peru21.pe/economia/nvertiran-...-pisco-2040628

http://elcomercio.pe/economia/146496...ra153-millones
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:19 am

In an effort to lower prices and offer an alternative to LIM for arriving passengers flying on to other Peru destinations, the airport in Pisco remodeling began yesterday. They will be charging airlines 40% less than LIM tariffs.

http://peru21.pe/economia/nvertiran-...-pisco-2040628

http://elcomercio.pe/economia/146496...ra153-millones
Good catch. Probably using the money from cancelling a new international airport in Junin region, away from protesters from Jauja

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:30 am
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:40 pm

there is *NO* baggage transfer from a domestic flight to international. All bags coming from a domestic (national) flight has to be collected regardless which international destination someone takes. Bags have to be rechecked in the international carrier. Even though there is an interline agreement, mostly domestic and international flights do not mix. This has been and always been in Lima.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by chinoyon
there is *NO* baggage transfer from a domestic flight to international.
Of-course there is. I did such transfer in September and didn't collect my bags in LIM, and I still got them at EZE (my journey was CUZ-LIM-EZE)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by chinoyon
there is *NO* baggage transfer from a domestic flight to international. All bags coming from a domestic (national) flight has to be collected regardless which international destination someone takes. Bags have to be rechecked in the international carrier. Even though there is an interline agreement, mostly domestic and international flights do not mix. This has been and always been in Lima.
Hey, welcome to FT chinoyon! Thanks for the post.

Lets be careful because there are now differences between international arrival to domestic connection vs domestic arrival to international connection.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Lets be careful because there are now differences between international arrival to domestic connection vs domestic arrival to international connection.
What differences?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What differences?
Hi! International arrivals require you to pick up your luggage to transefer to domestic flight (though can be tagged through) while domestic flight can be tagged and transferred to international flight without your handling.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Resurfacing thread...

I will be flying CUZ-LIM-PTY (Panama City) later this week. I have a two hour Lima connection, and am on two different tickets (domestic on Avianca and International on Copa). Both flights in business.

Any updates on:

1) ability to through check bags
2) necessity of picking up bags in Lima.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.