Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Wing Lei at the Wynn for next Wynn restaurant trial?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wing Lei at the Wynn for next Wynn restaurant trial?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:57 am
Original Member

I just had the Peking Duck tasting menu again at Wing Lei last weekend. It's very nice, but for me the main attraction of Chinese food is a variety of flavors and large quantities for cheap. Wing Lei is not cheap, the food is delicious, the service is attentive but not terribly competent, and ultimately to me it's just Chinese food. I would certainly not choose it as a special-occasion restaurant.

I'm not sure if gengar meant Alex when he mentioned "Stratta's." Alex Stratta recently took over Corsa Cuccina, also at Wynn, and vastly improved the menu. That place is now called Stratta. It's much more casual than Alex.

If you're open to Japanese food rather than Chinese, I think Okada is a much better experience than Wing Lei.

QL
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by QuietLion
...and ultimately to me it's just Chinese food. I would certainly not choose it as a special-occasion restaurant.
Spot on ^. If you're going to order authentic chinese then a simple Chinese restaurant such as Joyful House will suffice and a lot less expensive. No need to go to Wing Lei, Jasmine, and definitely not PF Changs .
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kingalien
definitely not PF Changs .
That's not even Chinese food, and a stretch calling it food (although it does provide the four basic food groups of fat, cholesterol, grease, and lard). My mother, however, loooves it. And this is from a woman whose first of many visits to the mainland was in 1964. Go figure.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by QuietLion
I'm not sure if gengar meant Alex when he mentioned "Stratta's." Alex Stratta recently took over Corsa Cuccina, also at Wynn, and vastly improved the menu. That place is now called Stratta. It's much more casual than Alex.
Ack, I knew that Alex Stratta took over Corsa Cucina, but didn't know it was renamed. Thanks for letting me know. I did of course mean the full-fledged Alex in my post.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
two point regarding Chinese

--

Again...Noodles is pretty darn good. Its weird though, kinda of like PF Changs in the sense that the ingredient quality is very high.

For example their pot stickers. Even if they are cold 8 hours later, there is no grease that hardens around the pot stickers. Its kinda of weird when it is almost not like chinese food when there isn't that grease.

Seriously try the post stickers at Noodles.

--

I looked at the 2008 Foders Vegas guide. Lots of restaurant recommendations for Italian , French, Japanese, etc. Just one listing for Chinese.

If it must be the Wynn, then I would go for Corsa (of Stratta) don't know the name now.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by chichow
two point regarding Chinese

--

Again...Noodles is pretty darn good.

I think Noodles is useless, I don't find the food particularly tasty, and it takes a little while to come. I find the noodle bar at Venetian better by a factor of 10.

Found the peking duck at Wing Lei to be decent, but wasn't blown away overall.

I found Corsa terrible when it was Corsa (oily crap, didnt bother finishing it) but haven't tried it under new management...
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
enjoyed a $2500 meal for 5 there a year or so ago. yes someone else was paying
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Wing Lei is a mainstay of Vegas for us. We always have the same dishes and they are tasty. You don't need to order the tasting menu for Peking Duck. The appetizer is only $88 I would also highly recommend the beef tenderloin and the steamed sea bass.

It may not be THE best Chinese restaurant at which we've eaten but it is one of the best. We're heading to HKG in September so I will see if the rankings change. Apparently, many of the top HK chefs left for North America which may explain why Vancouver is one of the top Chinese dining cities.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Had dinner there last Summer.

Most of us at the table had the duck tasting menu. I thought it was very good. A few of us went with the wine pairings. Very generous pours. A lot more than I usually see when getting wine pairings for a tasting menu. It was a pretty good amount if wine.

Other people at the table ordered a la carte. The stuff was good, but nothing special (but they didn't order anything really exotic )

I'd go back and have the regular tasting menu, maybe even see if they would make it a bit more interesting. I understand that it's been "dumbed down" since the place first opened.

Was back in Las Vegas a month ago. Went to Red 8 this time. We were dissapointed. We were hoping for something a little better. It was BAD, just not really as good as we were expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.