Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Wing Lei at the Wynn for next Wynn restaurant trial?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT

Has anybody eaten at Wing Lei? How is it? It has some amazing honors, but is it the best Chinese food in North America? It says it is the recipient of the only Michelin star in North America for a Chinese restaurant. How does it compare to San Francisco or Vancouver Chinese food? The menu looks great. I am debating trying it on my next trip. Do you have other must try Chinese restaurants in Las Vegas?

On a totally different scale, how is Red 8?

I am spending some time at the Wynn in a few weeks and I would like to try another of their restaurants. I have done Alex so far. Recommendations for my next trial?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:04 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
It was a few years ago (December 2006, IIRC)
But I really enjoyed the Wing Lei Peking Duck Tasting menu.

Based on that one experience, I'm looking forward to returning some time in the near future.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I thought Wing Lei was the best Chinese food I've had in NA. And once inside, I couldn't tell that I wasn't in HK, which is saying something. So yes, I liked it a lot.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
A number here on this board really like Wing Lei. I have not yet had the chance to try. I've tried Jasmine in Bellagio and thought it was very good but friends have said Wing Lei is even better. My two cents.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Wing Lei is a solid restaurant although certainly on the pricy side. Also, I have not been impressed with the service on recent visits. I honestly think Stratta's - even at what is essentially 2x+ the price/head - is a better value. That said, the food is very good. I wouldn't say it's the best Chinese restaurant in North America, as I can think of a couple I'd rather go to (especially since I'd avoid Wynn's general pretentiousness), but it's up there.

For diners who love Peking Duck, their duck tasting menu is a must-experience even if it comes out to a whopping $150+ per duck. It's just that interesting and that good.

Originally Posted by kingalien
I've tried Jasmine in Bellagio and thought it was very good but friends have said Wing Lei is even better.
Wing Lei is definitely better, IMO, although I suppose I should preface that by saying I've never been impressed by Jasmine.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Can't speak to Wing Lei but I've eaten at Red 8 twice. It was a solid meal but nothing spectacular. I can think of places in SFO and DFW that have comparable food. It's definitely your run of the mill upscale Chinese but not what I would consider a fine dining experience.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I really really like Alex. The food is good, but I really like the service and environment. I like it better than Robuchon at MGM.

Not to say I haven't had incredible Chinese food, but somehow Tokyo, Vancouver, NYC heck even Las Vegas Chinatown appeal to me more.

--

Let's ask this question. Are you talking about Wing Lei in terms of a comp or spending your hard earned dollars on it?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I'd rather eat at Noodles at Bellagio than Red 8
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chichow

Let's ask this question. Are you talking about Wing Lei in terms of a comp or spending your hard earned dollars on it?
Good question. I am spending my dollars. However, I love food and I am not above splurging on one expensive meal per visit to Vegas. I know that Vegas has lots of inexpensive great food, but I was curious about Wing Lei. I have eaten at Alex and I loved it. Especially the flight of wine pairing with the set menu was especially thoughtful and the service was fantastic. The Peking Duck menu does sound nice at Wing Lei, and yes, I did laugh when I realized that amounted to about $160 a duck. But for a one time meal, certainly a possibility.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Second that. Had to be the best Chinese meal I've had outside of China. Very very good.
has that judgement changed Pickles?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
has that judgement changed Pickles?
Nope, still stands. I've had better Chinese meals in the mainland, Taiwan, and in Hong Kong, and a couple of nice ones in Japan, but not better than Wing Lei, so my answer still applies.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
**wonders when Taiwan became part of China**

As good as a lot of Wing Lei's dishes are, I've definitely had better meals at Chinese restaurants throughout the US, though - and for cheaper, too. In some cases it can be tougher to generalize Chinese food as there is significant difference in cuisines and often many restaurants specialize only in a particular type, but there's definitely some real gems out there with better food.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 22, 2008 at 4:10 am
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Nope, still stands. I've had better Chinese meals in the mainland, Taiwan, and in Hong Kong, and a couple of nice ones in Japan, but not better than Wing Lei, so my answer still applies.
Funny, because during my brief stint in mainland China, I had some of the worst Chinese food I have had. My best experiences have been, Hong Kong (Pre and Post SAR), Vancouver and San Francisco. If Wing Lei approaches those, I will be sure to give it a shot. I like the idea of the Peking Duck menu despite the crazy premium.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
**wonders when Taiwan became part of China**
Depends who you ask, I guess.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paolo01
Funny, because during my brief stint in mainland China, I had some of the worst Chinese food I have had.
I guess your stay was too brief, then. Indeed, some atrocious Chinese food in China, but also some of the best. Sorry you missed it, maybe next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.