Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by kamaaina
I have an 11 hour INC layover and know I have to clear K-ETA and the Q-Code entry requirements.

Since I won't have a hotel booking is it problem if I use a Korean hostel address as a place holder for both documents? Would there be a problem with immigration/public health entering INC that same day?
You just need SOME address or phone number of accommodation. They don't dig and check deeply like paid or call them, but just have it entered into their system.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by vicmag76
I am traveling LAX-HND and then HND-GMP on two separate tickets on JL with an overnight transit in HND. South Korea requires a COVID test either 1 or 2 days before departure date. Does anyone what day they would consider the departure date? Would it be the departure date for the first ticket (LAX-HND) or would they use the departure date for the HND-GMP since it is two separate tickets? Thanks.
Two separate tickets, the airline will presumably want the test before the second flight. Only JL can answer that, though. And, you can't enter Japan without a visa or residence, so you can't exactly go get tested anywhere in Japan.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Two separate tickets, the airline will presumably want the test before the second flight. Only JL can answer that, though. And, you can't enter Japan without a visa or residence, so you can't exactly go get tested anywhere in Japan.
I'm pretty sure the language is two day prior to initial international departure as in if you have a layover in another country but don't enter that country it's from your initial departure. Check me on that. But at the same time be sure JAL is good with it.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Also not sure you can overnight airside in Haneda, how to check in ? Any luggage ? This sounds likely to fail
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:33 am

Warning: The PCR Test on arrival is now required WITHIN ONE DAY - meaning the day you arrive OR the day after.

Also, many district health offices are turning away tourists. Do your PCR arrival test at the airport, safe2gopass.com to schedule a reservation. If you get turned away for the free district health office test (it's supposed to be residents only, but no one cared for years), you'll be paying 100-130,000W anywhere in the city. Seegene is the cheapest at like 65,000W but kind of far for most people AND they have a kind of intense, strict reservation system (if you're late you can't just walk in and be seen, you have to re-register, etc.)
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:33 am

Officially, Korea does not recognize overseas recovery certificates and you should expect to be sent away to a facility (a converted hotel) for 7 nights as a visitor. HOWEVER, some health offices (that operate the rules for each district in Seoul/various cities) - they will accept it and will let you stay at your house OR not quarantine at all. There is no guarantee and you don'r really know what happens until you test positive and they get in touch with you. SO, to be safe, expect to have to go to a government facility for 7 nights if you test positive on arrival.
Thanks,
We asked at the testing center about what if the test is positive. Same official line. Fortunately all was negative so will never know if we'd be able to wiggle out of that. I'm sure speaking Korean would make a major difference.
Also,, less touristy places (ie NOT GangNam) are more likely to do the test for foreigners (no fee). Seems it helps if you can find a way to show up with the app already filled out and just jump to that spot in the process. Again, speaking and looking Korean helps. Of course last step before the test you give your passport.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Flying YYZ-ICN-MNL. Do I need to test as I will be in transit and not leaving the airport. I've checked the ICN and Korean gov't websites and it's not very clear. HELP !!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Warning: The PCR Test on arrival is now required WITHIN ONE DAY - meaning the day you arrive OR the day after.

Also, many district health offices are turning away tourists. Do your PCR arrival test at the airport, safe2gopass.com to schedule a reservation. If you get turned away for the free district health office test (it's supposed to be residents only, but no one cared for years), you'll be paying 100-130,000W anywhere in the city. Seegene is the cheapest at like 65,000W but kind of far for most people AND they have a kind of intense, strict reservation system (if you're late you can't just walk in and be seen, you have to re-register, etc.)
One additional note, for the free district health office test an e-ticket or the boarding pass is required.

It's been 4 days since I entered Korea and my local district health office seems to have forgot all about me. Last time they were constantly badgering me, asking for my test results.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by corbomite
One additional note, for the free district health office test an e-ticket or the boarding pass is required.

It's been 4 days since I entered Korea and my local district health office seems to have forgot all about me. Last time they were constantly badgering me, asking for my test results.
Did you not get tested at the local health office?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Braswch
Did you not get tested at the local health office?
I got tested at a office near my workplace because I couldn't be bothered to go to my local office during their hours. And I seriously doubt that they've managed to get all of the offices to share their data in the last 4 months. 4 months ago they were also badgering me to get tested at their office, not someplace else because they didn't want to manually input my PCR results.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
11 layover require PCR test on arrival?

If I want to leave the airport during my layover, besides the K-ETA and Q-Code would I now have to do the PCR test on arrival?

That looks to be 80,000 Won through Safe2go. This plus the PCR test 1-2 days before arrival adds up to nearly $80 for a layover visit.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by corbomite

When I re-entered in June, Gangnam Health Office didn't send me a single text, not even a reminder to get tested (that's all I got in April). And, you'd be surprised - those tests at the offices are communicated with the health office - that's how "regular people" get "on their list' if they're positive, too.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:43 pm

Anyone successfully use the eMed BinaxNOW monitored RAT to satisfy your pre departure test for arrival in Korea?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Anyone successfully use the eMed BinaxNOW monitored RAT to satisfy your pre departure test for arrival in Korea?
I'd be curious of this as well. But if you are in the US do walgreens free RAT NAAT
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Braswch
I'd be curious of this as well. But if you are in the US do walgreens free RAT NAAT
Walgreens online says the RAT NAAT has a 48 hour turnaround. Isn’t that’s too long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.