Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Wifi Egg experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Mobile Wifi Egg experiences

SK Telecom, KT olleh, LG U+, Wifi Korea, etc.

What's the best? Looking for best speed and best coverage throughout Korea.

Any experiences recently?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
SK and KT are #1 and 2, respectively. 99.999% identical coverage. Zero difference honestly. It will work literally everywhere. Korea's Internet and connectivity is a beauty.

LG is #3 and Isn't bad, it just gets the butt of all the jokes haha. The last I've never heard of.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:49 am

I used the KT egg twice last year (spring and fall). Small, light, pocketable device. Speed was fast enough for me for basic activities like maps, google searches, etc but I don't think I did anything really data intensive like video. Good coverage in Seoul and Busan but did lose signal inside of some buildings. A fully charged device didn't last me the entire day but a recharge mid-afternoon did the trick.
I'd get it again the next time in Korea.

If you get the KT egg, make sure you reserve ahead which saves you a few won.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Differences between SK devices

Thanks, Looks like SK has three options for devices (eggs)
https://www.skroaming.com/modem/modem_rental.asp

CLR-1000KS, AMR510L, and SKL321RM

There's no info on the differences. It seems some may be bigger than the others. Perhaps (guessing) the bigger ones have a longer battery. They might also have a larger coverage area (One person in one room and another person on the other side of the house kind of thing)

Any one have any idea?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

i found this site (Used chrome to translate into English)
http://cn.konest.com/tour/tour_detai...?t_id=sk_modem

"Upload speed: 37.5Mbps
download speed: 75Mbps ※ connect more than one number, the speed may be slower."

T mifi (LTE Wi-Fi router): CLR-1000KS

※ data unlimited (traffic exceeding 1GB / day, the speed may be limited)

So the fact that they may limit the data speed when you go over 1GB in a day doesn't sound too good.

Who knows if they actually do that...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:54 pm

Travelled to Seoul last year (March, April 2015) and rented an Olleh Egg at ICN from KT.

We're a family of four and all of us were using the Egg for the duration. No complaints that I can recall; it was worth every penny, in my estimation. Just be sure to keep it charged.

http://roaming.kt.com/rental/eng/product/wibro.asp

Pick up and return at ICN. I arrived around 4:30-5:00 a.m. and had no problem renting it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

how to keep it charged

if you are mobile on the go driving or taking public transport. what's the best way to keep it charged?

I assume it works while also being charged...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:56 am

You can stop at 99.9% of convenience stores and charge it for 30 mins - 1 hour for 1,000-1,500W. Don't quote me on this, but I presume if you're renting a car, it's going to have a USB jack and you can charge it that way.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

What speeds did you get?

Anyone ever do a speed test with these or know anything about the speed? I emailed KT and got the below resposne. I was surprised for them to say it's "about 1 Mbps."

Dear Customer
It reply to your recent letter.
Thank you for the interest in Olleh KT Service.
Does it use LTE?
-> Yes it does
What is the Speed?
-> It is about 1Mbps
Is the speed ever throttled (reduced) after going over a certain amount of usage?
-> No, we do not speed control

Best regards,
Olleh KT
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
You can stop at 99.9% of convenience stores and charge it for 30 mins - 1 hour for 1,000-1,500W. Don't quote me on this, but I presume if you're renting a car, it's going to have a USB jack and you can charge it that way.
If you're traveling you should buy an external battery, like an Anker battery (no endorsement). They'll charge anything if you're running low and you can charge up in hotel or elsewhere if you need to.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:29 pm

I don't know their exact speed, nor am I a numbers guy, but 1 Mbps is terribly slow, correct? I think they might have made a mistake hahah. When my father came to visit, I used his. It worked just as fast as my Korean friends wifi eggs...which, to say, is way faster than any 4G in the US haha.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:30 pm

and yes, I second the extra battery. But wait until you get here to Seoul and buy the Xiaomi brand. They're dirt cheap at like 10-15 USD and available everywhere.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I am traveling to Seoul arriving at ICN in early morning next month. I will be departing the same airport. Are there any updated recommendations towards which vendor to go to for a Mifi? I am good at pointing but an English speaking staff is preferred. Are reservations really needed? I'd rather not reserve in advance as I prefer the flexibility to choose the shortest line or the easiest place to find.

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:50 am

KT Roaming is still the main go to. Pre-reserve online and pay just 4,000W per day vs 8,000W when you show up. It’s really easy, just a form, pay on arrival. Fully fluent English staff and support.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: most of them
The Airbnb I stayed at in Seoul provided one for free. It was very convenient. I believe most of the other places I looked at there also had them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.