Community
Wiki Posts
Search

S. Korea - Prepaid 3G data+voice SIM?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

S. Korea - Prepaid 3G data+voice SIM?

So, I'll be traveling outside of the US for the first time on the 19th to South Korea. I have an iPhone 4 (unlocked, still using it on AT&T).

My #1 concern for this trip is whether or not I'll be able to get enough 3G data in S. Korea. In the states, I can easily chow through 10-25GB of 3G data per month. I'll only be in Korea for 2 weeks, so I'm looking for a prepaid plan that can give me at least 2GB of 3G, possibly 5GB. Having the ability to make cheap calls to Korean + US number (as well as receiving calls from Korean + US numbers) would be great as well.

Are there any prepaid SIM cards that offer such a thing? Sounds like a lot, but I REALLY need data for various things. I heard that I'll have a good chance once I get to the airport, or at the big electronics market?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:01 pm

Korea has nothing of the sort.

The only prepaid service is on the old CMDA phones (which are unique to Korea).

Everything else, and especially service with data, is on contract (which most foreigners cannot sign)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
Korea has nothing of the sort.

The only prepaid service is on the old CMDA phones (which are unique to Korea).

Everything else, and especially service with data, is on contract (which most foreigners cannot sign)
And you're absolutely sure about that? I must be receiving conflicting reports, then. At least 5 people have told me that I can get a prepaid SIM card from the airport or somewhere. I've never heard of a developed country NOT offering them, either.

I guess I'll find out in a week.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:52 am

You can find wifi everywhere. I've heard there's a list somewhere of all the common/default passwords to Korean wifi networks. You might have to Google around. Also, try using PC bangs. Extremely cheap high speed Internet, available literally on every corner.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by besweeet
And you're absolutely sure about that? I must be receiving conflicting reports, then. At least 5 people have told me that I can get a prepaid SIM card from the airport or somewhere. I've never heard of a developed country NOT offering them, either.

I guess I'll find out in a week.
You can rent a phone at the airport.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by SirJman
You can rent a phone at the airport.
http://www.sroaming.com/eng/Guide/Guide_Center.asp
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:05 am

Prepaid mobiles are not usual in S korea and Jpan..
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by letzgo
Prepaid mobiles are not usual in S korea and Jpan..
You can get them, but it requires a residence ID number. If you know of any Korean friends and have a phone with a removable SIM card it is possible. Keep in mind that this is a fairly gray area when it comes to the rules.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:51 am
DH

Evergreen Mobile (KT MVNO) is rare prepaid SIM card

Both S-Roaming and SK Roaming rents SIM cards for voice and data -
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I do not recommend sroaming.com I reserved an sroaming sim from sroaming.com for pickup on September 28 at ICN. The website said they were at door 8 of arrivals. They were not. The airport map of shops said they were between door 13&14. They were not. The traveler assistance desk said they had closed their stand at ICN. Thee was a Flower shop in the picture on their website. The nice man there called them and got no answer. He called the bookstore across the hall but they did not sell sims with data.

I wound up just using the WiFi at the JW Marriott and at the meeting venue I was at.

Originally Posted by DH
Evergreen Mobile (KT MVNO) is rare prepaid SIM card

Both S-Roaming and SK Roaming rents SIM cards for voice and data -
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
You can get prepaid SIM from KT.
I'm sure you could get them from SKT as well, but to my knowledge they don't really have good prepaid data.
I doubt you could get it from normal phone shops that's everywhere.
Technically you could, but it would be a lot easier to just go to one of KT operated called Olleh Plaza IMHO.
You can purchase prepaid sim for KRW5,500 (about US$5 + VAT; they are currently running a promo for free SIM card with KRW10,000 charge) and also select SIMPLE 충전(Charge) DataPlus.
The price runs from KRW5,000 for 100MB to KRW35,000 for 4GB of data.

One thing to note is that you cannot buy a pre-paid sim on Sundays.
I found that the hard way, tracked all the way to Olleh Plaza and they told me the system is closed on Sundays.

I don't recall you would need residency number to purchase the prepaid SIM.
I had to show my passport though.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Get an Olleh (KT) WiFi Egg for like 5$ a day (150$ credit card hold for damage deposit, fully refunded). Then, use Skype or another calling app to make calls to the numbers you need.

Download Kakao Talk. Koreans don't actually talk on the phone anymore, they just message each other on KakaoTalk. EVERYONE has it, even, let's say, your friend's 68 year old grandmother.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
-OR-

Rent an iPhone from SK or KT. You can call, use data, whatever you need. IF you need to call an American phone number, there's a local number I use here. It's 02-1688-5959. An automated voice says four seconds then it's quiet. Just put in 1-NUM-BER-HERE and it will connect (no need to press pound). You only use your phone's minutes like it's a local call.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
EG Prepaid SIM

On my last trip to Seoul, I pre-purchased a SIM through EG's website for pickup at K-Books on the arrival level (next to McDonald's) for use in an unlocked iPhone 4S.

Pickup at the bookstore was easy. Show your receipt and they have your SIM ready for use. This was because I bought the SIM in advance on the website.

Part of the regulations over there is that the telco needs your IMEI as well as your MAC address for wi-fi, which is included. By purchasing it through the website, you provide that information as well as provisioning part of your prepaid value for 3G data in advance. Meaning you pick up your SIM and start using it immediately.

My friend who came in from Tokyo, purchased the SIM from the convenience store and had an adventure activating it, in addition to the paperwork that needed to be filled out. Short version: purchase in advance.

EG SIMs use the olleh network. Very fast 3G (8Mbps down) and excellent coverage in Seoul up to the DMZ.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by abraxis
On my last trip to Seoul, I pre-purchased a SIM through EG's website for pickup at K-Books on the arrival level (next to McDonald's) for use in an unlocked iPhone 4S.

Pickup at the bookstore was easy. Show your receipt and they have your SIM ready for use. This was because I bought the SIM in advance on the website.

Part of the regulations over there is that the telco needs your IMEI as well as your MAC address for wi-fi, which is included. By purchasing it through the website, you provide that information as well as provisioning part of your prepaid value for 3G data in advance. Meaning you pick up your SIM and start using it immediately.

My friend who came in from Tokyo, purchased the SIM from the convenience store and had an adventure activating it, in addition to the paperwork that needed to be filled out. Short version: purchase in advance.

EG SIMs use the olleh network. Very fast 3G (8Mbps down) and excellent coverage in Seoul up to the DMZ.
This looks like exactly what I am looking for!

I went to the website and it doesn't look like the price changed when selecting the various data levels for a nano sim. Am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.