Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

February worth a visit?

February worth a visit?

Old Mar 21, 16, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
February worth a visit?

Thanks to the Great AA Devaluation of 2016 I spent most of the rest of my miles to get to BKK next February. Now I need to figure out what to do about a return trip to get home.

I had been considering a return to Singapore which I like a lot, but I've been there twice already. In poking around a bit I thought Seoul might be a decent choice. I have about 43K KE miles thanks to their US Bank credit card. And could source plenty more via a potential SPG transfer and/or UR transfer. Since KE allows one ways and stopovers it would cost me 95K miles in F class from BKK to IAD with a stopover in Seoul. This seems like a good value to me.

So, after that long intro, my question is whether the consensus would be that it's a good time to be in Seoul (mid-late February). According to the weather site I consulted it will be cold of course. This wouldn't be a huge issue except for the fact that I will be in the tropics of Bangkok immediately before which could complicate packing.

I've never been to Korea, but it's been on my list for a while. And I really dig Korean Indie music and CNBLUE. I'd probably spend about a week there. Worth doing, or just pick some place else tropical instead?
Old Mar 21, 16, 7:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I just spent 4 days in Seoul at the very beginning of March.
Yes, the weather was a little nippy compared to the Australian summer I had just left, but not freezing (highs of 10c/50f).
Personally I thought Seoul itself was basically just another city - not up to the excitement levels of say, Tokyo or Hong Kong - although many would say a more "real" experience.
The highlight for me was a visit to the DMZ at Panmunjeom, which I found fascinating, although you do need to be at least a little bit into politics and/or history.
Overall, I would say it is worth a few days as a stopover.
Old Mar 25, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Seoul is a perfect city for a few days stopover. I absolutely love living here, but I can say as a tourist, a long weekend like Thursday to Monday, or a few days during the week is ample. Day trip to the DMZ, spend a day in Myeongdong/Jongno/palaces, a day in Gangnam, go out at night. Seoul ABSOLUTELY shines in the food and nightlife department. I can honestly say it's the best nightlife in Asia. Nowhere else has come close for me yet!
Old Mar 25, 16, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Just waiting for my SPG transfer to show up in my KE account.

Personally I prefer spending a little too long in a place and not feeling like I have to jam too much into a day. Current idea is to arrive Saturday early afternoon and depart the following Saturday morning. KTO has a very extensive and detailed website. I'm guessing I will find plenty of stuff to do, maybe a day trip or two if they make sense.

As for nightlife, I'm not a drinker (or especially social, frankly). I understand that S.Korea has a pretty big alcohol problem. Hopefully some of my favorite bands will be playing while I'm there.
Old Mar 26, 16, 1:31 am

How's the weather in mid May?
Old Mar 26, 16, 9:01 am
Original Poster

https://weatherspark.com/

http://seoulistic.com/travel-to-kore...o-visit-korea/
Old Mar 29, 16, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Cherry blossoms should be starting to come out now, meaning getting warm enough for flowers. Maybe warm enough for us.
Old Apr 5, 16, 4:15 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Come on out to Seoul! Late Feb shouldn't be all that bad. March 1st is Korea's Independence Day. So you might see lots of flags out. Anything I can do to help with your trip, please let me know.
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I may take you up on that. At the moment I'm waiting to see if I can move it a month later to March. So I have to wait until AA's award booking window opens.
Old Apr 29, 16, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Ended up moving my trip. Managed to switch my dates for the outbound to Bangkok from mid-Feb to late March (which is probably less than ideal for that part of the trip) and then I'll spend a week in Korea April 1-8. Gotta love KE's free stopover on awards.
Old May 1, 16, 1:18 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Early April is a good time. Usually not too hot or cold. Also yellow dust starts to kick in towards the second half of April.
Old May 8, 16, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did a week in Seoul and Busan in mid-March (15th-21st). It was cold at night, about 35F when I was out, but the sunny and 60F temperatures during the day were very pleasant. I didn't wear my jacket once during the days.

That said, I think Seoul is the kind of city I'd enjoy even if it were really cold, I wouldn't hesitate to visit in February.

Search this Thread