Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Read on an reddit thread that foreigners with foreign issued Costco memberships were allowed to use VISA for payment. Have anyone tried?
Update that thread and ask Reddit. See you there haha. Personally don't have any experience with that, but I would not expect it to be possible. Just my pure guess.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Read on an reddit thread that foreigners with foreign issued Costco memberships were allowed to use VISA for payment. Have anyone tried?
I've done it in Japan and Canada this year, so I think it's an "unpublished" benefit ^
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Update that thread and ask Reddit. See you there haha. Personally don't have any experience with that, but I would not expect it to be possible. Just my pure guess.
I don't use Reddit, just came up on a Google search.

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've done it in Japan and Canada this year, so I think it's an "unpublished" benefit ^
Awesome. I wonder if I can use a Mastercard in USA with my Canadian Costco membership?
I always bring a VISA with me down, but would be awesome if I can just use my main MC.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I had to use a MC at a Canadian Costco (I'm american) but just realized it was 2018, not 2019, so maybe that change is more recent....
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
To be more specific, I used my Citi Costco Visa card. I would not expect another Visa card to work in a different country.

Awesome. I wonder if I can use a Mastercard in USA with my Canadian Costco membership?
I always bring a VISA with me down, but would be awesome if I can just use my main MC.
Maybe if it was a Costco cobranded Mastercard?

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I had to use a MC at a Canadian Costco (I'm american) but just realized it was 2018, not 2019, so maybe that change is more recent....
Did you try a Citi Costco Cobranded Visa?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Did you try a Citi Costco Cobranded Visa?
Yes. They said I must use a master card or cash. Fortunately my husband's main CC is a mastercard (I was unaware of the card difference between countries - I used my Costco Visa for access to the store, but couldn't use it for payment)
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

No more Costco Kimchi.

mikesaidyes and SightseeMC like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Are you referring to the condiment stand where people make their own kimchi out of diced onions and various sauces? Or has Costco stopped selling kimchi in their stores?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nme7
Are you referring to the condiment stand where people make their own kimchi out of diced onions and various sauces? Or has Costco stopped selling kimchi in their stores?
The former.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I just spent 20 minutes each way on the metro to go to Costco in Seoul. Found out that they are closed every 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Yes, this is a government initiative to "support small businesses." All major supermarts like emart, Home Plus, emart everyday and HomePlus express grocery stores are closed then. Sorry no one told you before!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Went to Costco in Busan today. Asked at the customer service counter about using my USA Visa card. They said it’s hit or miss, but they work about 80% of the time. My Chase Saphire Reserve VISA worked at the main registers and at the food court to get my Bulgogi Bake fix.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Went to Costco in Busan today. Asked at the customer service counter about using my USA Visa card. They said it’s hit or miss, but they work about 80% of the time. My Chase Saphire Reserve VISA worked at the main registers and at the food court to get my Bulgogi Bake fix.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. So it seems like any Visa card could work for US members but the Costco Visa has been tested by the most people and seems to work the most consistently. I'll probably try with my Chase Visa on Christmas today and carry the Citi Costco as a backup.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Skyteam
Yum, I could use some abalone porridge in this chilly weather.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raycosm
Thanks for the info, very helpful. So it seems like any Visa card could work for US members but the Costco Visa has been tested by the most people and seems to work the most consistently. I'll probably try with my Chase Visa on Christmas today and carry the Citi Costco as a backup.
My wife uses her CSR as the only CC she carries here in Seoul, though I believe we used cash on our first few trips to Costco. I read Costco Korea's web page as saying that Hyundai cards are the only option for online payment, not necessarily in-store. And I'd imagine that if your CC worked at the food mart, it would work at the other registers (I cannot see them running dual payment rails, though I could possibly be wrong).

We've used our American membership for entry with no issues. They may just assume we are here for a short trip and not actually living in Seoul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.