Costco Shopping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Been busy, meaning to post these photos, finally getting around to it. These were shot at the Ilsan Costco in June 2018. Just random stuff that caught my eye. We took the bus out there from Yeonsinnae/연신내 and got the kids their fast food fix in the food court, then shopped around here and there. The wine prices are about 200% of what I'd expect to pay here.

Food Court prices...

I expected everything to cost much more.

But it was just like at home.

I didn't take any pictures of people eating "Costco Kimchi" (diced onions with ketchup and mustard) but we were interested to see many consuming good amounts of it.

Looks and tastes like the Costco Pizza we get at home.

Kids loved it, ate all of it.

And then some shopping. I do like the way that Costco stores localize and carry items you don't find at every Costco.

Roasted sweet potatoes.

Only about U$D 12 for a container. We roast these at home, so we got some. Very nice. Can't recall seeing these here in the US.

Korean sausage. I don't think we tried this, because we had a long way back to where we were staying and no way to keep it cool.

Twice what I pay here.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
But did you make an onion mustard ketchup salad at the snack bar? Not to put on anything, JUST eat it! That's the true local way!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:05 am
Original Poster

We saw many enjoying their “Costco kimchi” but did not partake. This habit of Koreans mixing onions with ketchup and mustard has gotten some press here.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Oct 27, 2018 at 9:35 am Reason: Added link
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Christmas tree markups are nuts.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Citi Costco Card as Membership

I have a layover in ICN for about 13 hours and very interested in visiting Costco in South Korea (I know...very bizzare)
1) I see from this thread that Ilsan is the closest Costco and there’s some pretty detailed directions to get here. can you all confirm if it is a reasonable walk from the Baekseok train station? I see the directions above but I prefer to take the train vs the bus.
2) I use my Costco Citi VISA credit card as my credit card and Costco membership in the US. Any idea if the Korean Costco stores will accept my CC as valid membership?

thanks in advance for any tips.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by renebt
I have a layover in ICN for about 13 hours and very interested in visiting Costco in South Korea (I know...very bizzare)
1) I see from this thread that Ilsan is the closest Costco and there’s some pretty detailed directions to get here. can you all confirm if it is a reasonable walk from the Baekseok train station? I see the directions above but I prefer to take the train vs the bus.
2) I use my Costco Citi VISA credit card as my credit card and Costco membership in the US. Any idea if the Korean Costco stores will accept my CC as valid membership?

thanks in advance for any tips.
I will admit, I don't normally like to shop, but I enjoy visiting Costco in Korea for some reason, so I'm with you. Our whole famn damily enjoyed the visit there, especially the kids (fast food fix). I took more pictures that I didn't bother to post, to show to family members and friends.

Regarding navigation, if you install Naver Map on your smart phone, it can provide pretty detailed directions that would permit you to go by public transportation to Ilsan Costco, and it can provide those navigation instructions in English. KakaoMap will do the same, but not in English that I am aware. But you would need to buy a T-Money card at the airport to pay the subway fare. According to what I see, it appears that it should take around two hours to make the trip from ICN, so you're investing at least four hours of your layover just to travel there.

The Baekseok subway station (백석역) is within walking distance of the Ilsan Costco store, so it would be a pretty easy trip, just requiring a couple of transfers.

Regarding the Visa card, I can't recall if I used mine, but I have an actual Costco membership card, so I probably used that. Some other posters on the thread may be able to advise if they got admission using their Citi Costco Visa. To be direct, Koreans often allow foreigners a pretty wide leeway, especially non-Asian foreigners, so I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting in with the Costco Visa, especially if your picture is on the card. You may need to show them the Costco logo, etc., on the back of the card.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Can't see any issue getting in with the Citi Costco Visa. It's got the membership barcode on the back.

Not sure if they'll accept payment from it however... lots of agreements (even internationally) have been changing for which credit cards are accepted.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Costco is changing to Hyundai cards only as of May 24. Before May 24, they take Samsung cards ONLY. So if you do not have a Samsung (or Hyundai card depending on the date of your visit) - you MUST pay in cash.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:28 am

Thanks! I’m going to try Ilsan Costco because worst thing they can say is no. I’m a bit of a minimalist so back stateside I don’t carry my Costco card and my Citi Costco VISA in my wallet because it’s not necessary so when packing for this trip it didn’t cross my mind to also pack the card.

I am a huge Costco fan and have gone out of my way to visit an international Costco if one is available and it fits my schedule. Maybe I can take some Bibigo (which always seems to be on sale monthly) straight from the source!

should the ilsan Costco say “no” any tips around the baeksoeck rail station on where to eat?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

The Citi Costco Visa used to charge foreign transaction/exchange fees, if I recall correctly, but no longer.

I would describe the neighborhood around Ilsan Costco as urban mixed apartment & retail-oriented, and though we didn't conduct a lengthy tour, we walked from the bus stop and saw a number of places to eat. I popped in to a pub to see what they had on tap. There are tons of places around there.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:01 pm

Take a look at the Costco location in Incheon/Songdo. Assuming no traffic issues it's about 30 minutes on the KAL bus ($6 - 7) to the Holiday Inn Songdo and the Costco is a 5 minute walk from there. I went there in February when I was staying at the Holiday Inn. I had my membership card so I can't tell you if the CC will get you in.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rts123
Take a look at the Costco location in Incheon/Songdo. Assuming no traffic issues it's about 30 minutes on the KAL bus ($6 - 7) to the Holiday Inn Songdo and the Costco is a 5 minute walk from there. I went there in February when I was staying at the Holiday Inn. I had my membership card so I can't tell you if the CC will get you in.
Korea, always changing. Interesting, never occurred to me to look and see if there were new locations. I much prefer to take the bus anywhere in Korea instead of the subway, just to see what is. My wife's side of the family thinks my bus preference is questionable, maybe a bit loony, but joy is in the journey. Such a nice suggestion, check the obvious.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 am

Costco Ilsan: success!

Wow! I was able to use my Costco Citi Card as my membership (I bought a few items with cash/KRW). The Costco Ilsan is accessible via the Boeksoek train station and as others have pointed out, pretty easy to get to from the airport. See some of my pics below.

View from outside!

In addition to Chicken Bakes, Costco Ilsan has Bulgogi Bakes. It was incredible! (Not seen: the Korean favorite: Costco kimchee)

Not quite $4.99 but not bad!

My friends and I rave about Costco’s sheet cakes. Here are a few ready-to-buy!

How is that KS vodka only ~$10USD?!?

Food court.

World famous Costco toilet paper. Not 2-ply....3-ply.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by renebt
Wow! I was able to use my Costco Citi Card as my membership (I bought a few items with cash/KRW). The Costco Ilsan is accessible via the Boeksoek train station and as others have pointed out, pretty easy to get to from the airport. See some of my pics below.

In addition to Chicken Bakes, Costco Ilsan has Bulgogi Bakes. It was incredible! (Not seen: the Korean favorite: Costco kimchee)

Funny, I had just mentioned these to Mrs. Zippy the other day. This is the one item I regretted not buying, but we had no way to keep them frozen until departing Korea. The American "Chicken Bake" is a common school lunch box item for our kids, but these Bulgogi Bakes are not sold in US stores that I am aware of. A great example of how Costco "localizes" product to suit customer preferences. Was it good?

BTW Mrs. Zippy recently asked if Costco Korea sells frozen Bulgogi bakes (as they sell the chicken bakes here in the US) and apparently they do not. A shame; I'm sure they would be popular if they did sell them.
renebt likes this.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; May 21, 2019 at 5:25 pm Reason: Added question
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Costco is changing to Hyundai cards only as of May 24. Before May 24, they take Samsung cards ONLY. So if you do not have a Samsung (or Hyundai card depending on the date of your visit) - you MUST pay in cash.
Read on an reddit thread that foreigners with foreign issued Costco memberships were allowed to use VISA for payment. Have anyone tried?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.