Reload this Page >

Costco Shopping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Aventine
Fukuoka has a Costco as well...

But if you wanna do Korean Costco then definitely goto the Ilsan one from Incheon airport. The closest and one of the bigger ones in the Seoul/Gyeonggi area. It's tucked in behind the main road from Baekseok dong bus stop. Cross the road, walk about half a block and turn right or just follow all the cars going to the Big Red parking sign!
I'll be doing FUK Costco too- might even have a small contingent from the DO

Thanks for the additional tips ^
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'll be doing FUK Costco too- might even have a small contingent from the DO

Thanks for the additional tips ^
FUK was successful thanks to the help of several FTers and also a local who saw our need for a ride back from COST ^

Embarking on my epic Korea adventure tomorrow

Saving a .pdf of this thread for additional support.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Funny... I started the thread, but never made it to Costco in Seoul. I'll be heading back stateside in about 48 hours, and I don't anticipate having time in the schedule for Costco. Time permitting, I may do a trip report in a separate thread some time after I get back.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:29 pm

Success!

Filled a duffel bag full of goodies from Costco- thanks for all the tips.

I took the Airport Express into town (had a discount for my OZ ticket) and walked around Seoul Station. Went into Lotte Market here- it was an absolute zoo! Tons of samples here including a large variety of kimchi- spent too much time, and was difficult to walk around. People bumped into me several times.

Also looked at the old station- they had a free cultural exhibition inside- modern art. It was...modern.

I google mapped directions ahead of time as wifi was limited in the area- figured out bus 1000 would get me from Seoul Station to Costco. But it wasn't in the regular bus queue area- so had to walk a bit further to find. Once I found it, I confirmed with others near the station this was the right one (saw #1000, but just in case).

Was 2000 won- wasn't clear if change was due or not.

Return was very simple as notated in this thread- bus 3300 is nonstop service to ICN Bit more at 8850 won, but I gave the driver a 10000 won note and he gave me change. He went above and beyond as I left a small bag onboard with a few things I bought at Lotte, and he tracked me down in the airport as I was wandering towards my EK checkin desk! That was amazing. (And I need to stop leaving CX bags around)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Success!

Filled a duffel bag full of goodies from Costco- thanks for all the tips.

I took the Airport Express into town (had a discount for my OZ ticket) and walked around Seoul Station. Went into Lotte Market here- it was an absolute zoo! Tons of samples here including a large variety of kimchi- spent too much time, and was difficult to walk around. People bumped into me several times.

Also looked at the old station- they had a free cultural exhibition inside- modern art. It was...modern.

I google mapped directions ahead of time as wifi was limited in the area- figured out bus 1000 would get me from Seoul Station to Costco. But it wasn't in the regular bus queue area- so had to walk a bit further to find. Once I found it, I confirmed with others near the station this was the right one (saw #1000, but just in case).

Was 2000 won- wasn't clear if change was due or not.

Return was very simple as notated in this thread- bus 3300 is nonstop service to ICN Bit more at 8850 won, but I gave the driver a 10000 won note and he gave me change. He went above and beyond as I left a small bag onboard with a few things I bought at Lotte, and he tracked me down in the airport as I was wandering towards my EK checkin desk! That was amazing. (And I need to stop leaving CX bags around)
A nice adventure. Am glad you got in your Costco lol.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
That sounds right for that Lotte Mart. It's old, so it's a tight squeeze. But, hey, as a Westerner, anyone would feel pushed around at any large mart. The concept of personal space here is nonexistent. Just consider it part of the experience. Also, they're very loud and REALLY love to yell the specials at that Lotte Mart!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
That sounds right for that Lotte Mart. It's old, so it's a tight squeeze. But, hey, as a Westerner, anyone would feel pushed around at any large mart. The concept of personal space here is nonexistent. Just consider it part of the experience. Also, they're very loud and REALLY love to yell the specials at that Lotte Mart!
That was awesome to see. Just wish I understood what they were saying

I was in a culture shock for sure coming from Japan where everyone seemed so polite in contrast. But it could of been just my actions

Did I mention the chocolate covered shrimp chips I found there? If I make it back I need to secure more.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:08 am

A nice adventure. Am glad you got in your Costco lol.
Oh I was very happy. Especially to have a nonstop ride on the bus (only 1 other person on the bus too - compare that to the city bus that I was standing up trying to hold on as it accelerated around corners )

Just had some Shanghai Style Seafood Rice (was on demo) tonight from the warehouse I visited. I managed to figure out how long to cook it and was nice n' spicy!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
All they're yelling is "delicious meat, special price, we're having a sale." Also, there are an unusually high number of Chinese tourists at that Lotte Mart because they go duty free shopping next door, too. The old lady staff impressively speak Chinese and Japanese fluently. That also explain why it's a bit more pushy.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I was very happy. Especially to have a nonstop ride on the bus (only 1 other person on the bus too - compare that to the city bus that I was standing up trying to hold on as it accelerated around corners )

Just had some Shanghai Style Seafood Rice (was on demo) tonight from the warehouse I visited. I managed to figure out how long to cook it and was nice n' spicy!
I woulda recommended the frozen gonderae herb rice. Love that stuff!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Not to mention, wouldn't Cholula and Korean food taste weird? As in the different spicy taste?
A friend told me it was delicious on samgyupsal.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Any update for Amex? I see their website is still promoting a Samsung Amex.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any update for Amex? I see their website is still promoting a Samsung Amex.
They accept foreign AMEX branded cards (outside of domestic Samsung) and cash only.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
They accept foreign AMEX branded cards (outside of domestic Samsung) and cash only.
Thanks, good to know! No plans to discontinue it anytime soon right?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I see the Costco Korea Web site is advertising a (Samsung) Visa card, so are Korean Costco stores accepting any Visa card now, just like US stores?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.