Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antwerp - Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:40 pm

Actually... I might try it next month.. but I am not convinced.. Besides the hassle, I got one of them gold BD cards, and have been flying *A with great results lately and even with the ex-ZWE flights.. *A is offering cheaper flights ex AMS regardless... the hassles of trying to use KLM
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by festis21
Actually... I might try it next month.. but I am not convinced.. Besides the hassle, I got one of them gold BD cards, and have been flying *A with great results lately and even with the ex-ZWE flights.. *A is offering cheaper flights ex AMS regardless... the hassles of trying to use KLM
Give it a try, and get convinced, and bring us some feedback
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Online check-in offer

Hi,

As you all know, recently KLM introduced some special upgrade fares to Biz when you check-in online. However, I was wondering what happens in cases where you start from ZWE and you can't online check-in. Do you lose out on this? Or should I call when online-check in is open to ask about this?

Thanks.

Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

As you all know, recently KLM introduced some special upgrade fares to Biz when you check-in online. However, I was wondering what happens in cases where you start from ZWE and you can't online check-in. Do you lose out on this? Or should I call when online-check in is open to ask about this?

Thanks.

I got offered one of those upgrade to business fares for a one way flight, it was actually more than a business return on a competitor airline. Brilliant marketing team at KLM.. I have never seen any of those offers worth taking.

I was not aware you could not check in online if leaving ex ZWE... hmm...
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by festis21
I was not aware you could not check in online if leaving ex ZWE... hmm...
Have tried, and it isn't possible

Pain in the neck
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ELAL
Nonsense

I've personally done this trip many times in advance, and I always change my tickets well in advance, (the post you mentioned, only mentions that when actually taking the Thalys you can receive your ticket only on the day of travel, there's no mention of changing tickets).
OK - but can you explain then how you can collect the train ticket for the first sector leaving Antwerp, then? I don't see how you change a ticket that you don't physically have in your possession.

If you have to travel to Antwerp just to collect the ticket on the day of travel, I fail to see the benefit for Dutch residents - it would be much handier if you could just collect the ticket in advance when you're already passing through. And I fail to see the benefit of changing the ticket on the day for an earlier train - if KLM booked you on that ticket, then they have to look after you if you miss your connection in AMS, not that I think that it's likely you would miss that connection.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
OK - but can you explain then how you can collect the train ticket for the first sector leaving Antwerp, then? I don't see how you change a ticket that you don't physically have in your possession.

If you have to travel to Antwerp just to collect the ticket on the day of travel, I fail to see the benefit for Dutch residents - it would be much handier if you could just collect the ticket in advance when you're already passing through. And I fail to see the benefit of changing the ticket on the day for an earlier train - if KLM booked you on that ticket, then they have to look after you if you miss your connection in AMS, not that I think that it's likely you would miss that connection.

You change it by going to the train ticket desk, and showing your KLM eticket, and presto they will give a regular train ticket to AMS, and that can be done in advance too, so Dutch residents can just pass through in advance and change it.
The benifet of changing the ticket is not for an earlier train, but for a later train, as KLM will always originaly book you on a Thalys train, even if it means arriving in AMS 5 hours before your flight, that's why people change their tickets to a regular train, in order to be there only 2 hours in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You change it by going to the train ticket desk, and showing your KLM eticket, and presto they will give a regular train ticket to AMS, and that can be done in advance too, so Dutch residents can just pass through in advance and change it.
Ah - thanks. It had been written in another thread that the train ticket could only be generated on the day so had to be physically collected from Antwerp. Now that you have firmly stated that this is not true, it all makes sense. You have actually done this, right?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Ah - thanks. It had been written in another thread that the train ticket could only be generated on the day so had to be physically collected from Antwerp. Now that you have firmly stated that this is not true, it all makes sense. You have actually done this, right?
I've done it many times before and it works perfectly.
Although I always change my ticket in Antwerp, I wouldn't be superised if it's possible at any Belgian station, is there anybody who has tried it?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Exclamation Check your dates!

All,

Please check your dates on the Thalys ticket issued. Yesterday, I nearly had a heartattack when the conductor informed me that my ticket was valid only 2 days later! Luckily he was kind and realized that it was the person at the station that had reserved it on the wrong date when I showed him my e-ticket printout.

Also a warning for those who plan to do this without actually taking the train. Another guy if I overheard correctly, tried to check and he was not allowed to check-in. I did not follow the whole thing, but I am not sure what happened. He did not argue much or rather kept it low profile. So just a warning to all.

Btw, another question, can I online-check in for the return trip?

Thanks.

Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
does anyone ever experienced problems on the return trip to ZWE, with luggage being labeled to ZWE and therefore getting lost at AMS? Is it possible to ask at the departure airport to have your luggage labeled to AMS and not ZWE? I will travel ZWE-IAD and JFK-ZWE in December. Apparently I will not be eligible for OLCI, can I reserve seats in advance by calling KLM? Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AF/KL PLAT
Originally Posted by stijnec
does anyone ever experienced problems on the return trip to ZWE, with luggage being labeled to ZWE and therefore getting lost at AMS? Is it possible to ask at the departure airport to have your luggage labeled to AMS and not ZWE?
The answer is simple : your luggage will be labeled to AMS only in any case. Unfortunately there is no luggage handling between AMS and ZWE : you will need to collect your bags at the luggage belt in AMS and carry it on the train yourself.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
I know, but heard a story from someone who had his luggage labeled to ZWE, hence his luggage was lost at AMS as the handling system could not handle any luggage to ZWE. Hopefully my luggage won't get lost.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lpjanssen
The answer is simple : your luggage will be labeled to AMS only in any case. Unfortunately there is no luggage handling between AMS and ZWE : you will need to collect your bags at the luggage belt in AMS and carry it on the train yourself.
Can anybody confirm or deny a rumor I heared, that once the Thaly's willl be operating high speed from Antwerp - Amsterdam, there will be the option of checking in bags at Antwerp Central
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thaly's willl be operating high speed from Antwerp - Amsterdam
The day has finally come!!!

On the 13th DEC. Thaly's is starting their high speed service from Antwerp to Amsterdam, taking only 1:12.

Will the train go all the way to Schipol, or you will have to take a different train from Amsterdam Centraal to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.