Search

Antwerp - Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Question

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Most likely, yes. The new high-speed Fyra trains will commence service on the HSL-Zuid line between Amsterdam, Schiphol and Rotterdam-CS this September; when Fyra services are finally extended into Belgium (currently expected in mid 2010), the journey time from Schiphol to Antwerpen Centraal will be cut from 1h50 to just 53 minutes;
I heared that KLM are expected to open up check in desks at Antwerp Centraal, does anybody know if this is true? (or it's a rumor, just like the one that Eurostar are going to run, AMS-ANR-LON, which dosen't seem to be happening)
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
Difference in fares is starting to get interesting enough for me to book ZWE-AMS-TATL-AMS-ZWE instead of BRU or even AMS direct. I just have to make my way to ZWE which is virtually "just around the corner".

Is there anyone here who has experience with the ZWE-AMS train part of a KLM ticket?

- Do you have to check in your bags at ZWE or do you keep them with you until AMS? Same coming back or do you collect your bags at AMS?
- Who checks that you've actually taken the ZWE-AMS train portion of the ticket?
- Can you get off the AMS-ZWE train when it's the last leg of the ticket without penalties?

Any info is most welcome, thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:11 am

Sorry, I see that most of my questions have already been answered before. Only the bags question remains.
Thank you!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canada freak
Sorry, I see that most of my questions have already been answered before. Only the bags question remains.
Thank you!
You always carry your bags by yourself on the train
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:24 am

Thanks ELAL!

Any idea if it is allowed to catch an earlier train than booked? It seems to me a two hour stop-over is quite risky considering the regular delays on the Brussel-Schiphol trains...
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thalys tickets include a seat reservation; therefore your ticket is valid only for the particular service and seat printed on the ticket.

You could perhaps ask when collecting your ticket at the station if you could instead change to an earlier train; however, this may not be possible, or possible only for a fee. In which case, it might be just as cheap to pay for a regular ticket on the Benelux train which travels the same route hourly (Thalys travels every 2 hours, sometimes 3), and which doesn't take all that much longer to reach Schiphol but which is more prone to delays.

I wouldn't recommend doing this; not only would you be unnecessarily (in my view) adding an extra 2 hours to your journey, but from KLM's point of view, you may have invalidated the remainder of your itinerary. When you arrive at checkin in AMS with a Thalys ticket used on a service other than the one you purchased as part of your KLM ticket, they could perhaps take the view that you violated the terms of your ticket - and who knows what would happen in NMBS/SNCB's computer when you alter your booking in Antwerp - it could have the effect of immediately cancelling the rest of your KLM itinerary when KLM does their check and finds that your reservation was changed/deleted.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 6, 2009 at 3:30 am
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Thalys tickets include a seat reservation; therefore your ticket is valid only for the particular service and seat printed on the ticket.

You could perhaps ask when collecting your ticket at the station if you could instead change to an earlier train; however, this may not be possible, or possible only for a fee. In which case, it might be just as cheap to pay for a regular ticket on the Benelux train which travels the same route hourly (Thalys travels every 2 hours, sometimes 3), and which doesn't take all that much longer to reach Schiphol but which is more prone to delays.

I wouldn't recommend doing this; not only would you be unnecessarily (in my view) adding an extra 2 hours to your journey, but from KLM's point of view, you may have invalidated the remainder of your itinerary. When you arrive at checkin in AMS with a Thalys ticket used on a service other than the one you purchased as part of your KLM ticket, they could perhaps take the view that you violated the terms of your ticket - and who knows what would happen in NMBS/SNCB's computer when you alter your booking in Antwerp - it could have the effect of immediately cancelling the rest of your KLM itinerary when KLM does their check and finds that your reservation was changed/deleted.

Totaaly disagree

I always change my ticket for a normal train (it can be done even before the date of travel), it's free and KLM have no problem with it, you can also change it in Amsterdam train station, and when changing there you receive a first class ticket
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:46 am

I don't want to take any chances... I just spoke to KLM. They confirmed that when I book over the phone I can choose earlier train connections.

I meant to ask if they will waive the extra EUR 25 reservation fee per ticket for booking over the phone because this connection cannot be booked online but I forgot
Will have to call again...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
Totaaly disagree

I always change my ticket for a normal train (it can be done even before the date of travel), it's free and KLM have no problem with it, you can also change it in Amsterdam train station, and when changing there you receive a first class ticket

I was thinking about getting a ticket Ex-ZWE, I would get on the train in Rotterdam... think this is do-able? The ticket is a few hundred euros cheaper, I would use the Rotterdam-Schiphol bit... so could try and find a conductor and get it stamped? I read in another thread you need to pick up the ticket in Antwerp on the day of departure, but you are saying you just rock up at Amsterdam train station and get it changed before travel date.. what do you use? Just your KLM booking receipt?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by festis21
I was thinking about getting a ticket Ex-ZWE, I would get on the train in Rotterdam... think this is do-able? The ticket is a few hundred euros cheaper, I would use the Rotterdam-Schiphol bit... so could try and find a conductor and get it stamped? I read in another thread you need to pick up the ticket in Antwerp on the day of departure, but you are saying you just rock up at Amsterdam train station and get it changed before travel date.. what do you use? Just your KLM booking receipt?
On the return I've done it in Amsterdam, and I assume it can be done for the outbound flight too.
If I'm not mistaken any train station in Holland would change it for you, try it and report back
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't think that would work. The ticket has to be picked up on the day of travel - and KLM wants you to travel from Belgium, seeing as you pay a much cheaper fare when travelling from there. This means that they in all likelihood would not tolerate the scenario you've suggested - somehow managing to change the first train ticket ex-ZWE to a train ticket ex-Rotterdam.

And I don't think NS in Rotterdam or anywhere else in the Netherlands would likely be able to retrieve the reservation to re-issue the ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:51 am

Programs: FB Plat HH Gold
But it can be done at any Belgium trainstation at any day. Exchange your Thalys voucher for an ordinary train ticket valid on the day of the outbound flight. And when not stamped...., you cannot help not seeing any conductor during the trip to Schiphol.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:13 am

This means that they in all likelihood would not tolerate the scenario you've suggested - somehow managing to change the first train ticket ex-ZWE to a train ticket ex-Rotterdam.
No no, I am thinking just change the ticket to a NS ticket instead of a Thalys ticket, "make the journey from Antwerp", but in matter of fact just get on the train in Rotterdam. I cannot help it if a conductor does not check my ticket until after this point? Right?

FWIW, why does KLM actually care? So we get a cheaper ticket? Why not make it cheaper ex AMS in the first place? Also, from AMS there is a direct flight leaving to destination XXX, but if I want to do this from ZWE, it offers me some stupid stopover flights (granted it earns more miles!) but because of this Thalys option, it restricts the online options. "Call the helpdesk" I know.. but surely this comment if from someone who has never called the KL helpdesk.. hehe..
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite what titanio82 has said, it is my understanding that the train ticket can only be issued in Belgium on the actual day of travel - source being this post - so I am really struggling to see how exactly you think you can get NS to issue you any sort of ticket to get you to Schiphol in co-operation with your KLM itinerary that won't invalidate your entire journey.

It's clear that you don't need to use the Thalys voucher you receive from KLM on the way back home and after completing all your flights or you can take it only as far as Rotterdam - but that's not the issue. But to begin your journey, your first point of contact will not be with KLM, but with the Belgian Rail Operator. I don't see how you can get your train ticket unless you turn up at ZWE (or perhaps some other Belgian train station) on the day in question as it seems only the ticketing counter at ZWE can convert your KLM booking into a Thalys ticket valid on that day. The check-in process at AMS seems to include a phonecall to a supervisor to check that the train ticket was issued as expected in Belgium. Perhaps you should take ELAL's advice and just try it, rocking up at Rotterdam Centraal with your KLM booking code, but I think it could be a costly experiment for you.

And why does KLM care? Because KLM wants to attract extra passengers coming from Belgium by offering somewhat cheaper fares, rather than enabling Dutch residents to easily bypass the system and pay a cheaper fare to travel from Belgium without ever even going to Belgium. If you check KLM.de or any of the other European websites, you will see that journeys from neighbouring countries connecting through Schiphol often are cheaper than the equivalent fares for Dutch residents beginning their journeys in Amsterdam. That's part of most airlines' pricing models.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 17, 2009 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Despite what titanio82 has said, it is my understanding that the train ticket can only be issued in Belgium on the actual day of travel - source being this post - so I am really struggling to see how exactly you think you can get NS to issue you any sort of ticket to get you to Schiphol in co-operation with your KLM itinerary that won't invalidate your entire journey.

Nonsense

I've personally done this trip many times in advance, and I always change my tickets well in advance, (the post you mentioned, only mentions that when actually taking the Thalys you can receive your ticket only on the day of travel, there's no mention of changing tickets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.