Search

KL or NW on Transatlantic Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
KL or NW on Transatlantic Y?

I've read a bunch of old threads, trying to figure out if I should choose KL or NW for award travel AMS-US
As far as I've understood, KL planes are better, and I've come up with this ranking (based on the notion that I can get select seating on KLM):

1. KLM 747M
2. KLM 747
3. KLM 767
4. KLM MD-11
5. NW 747
6. NW DC-10

On the specific routes I currently have in mind, no KLM 747s show up in the schedules, but I guess that can change :-)

Any comments?

How will the ranking change if I go for C class ticket? Should I then choose NW or KL?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 2:28 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, United PE, Marriott Platinum
Vunder31,

What route do you have in mind?

BA Fan
Old Mar 24, 2003, 3:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm doing (CPH)-AMS-XXX-MCO, where 'XXX' will be either DTW, MEM or MSP (or perhaps MIA if I can find a seat on the tiny MIA-MCO flight). EWR would be another option, but that would involve trying to get a seat on CO flights.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:48 pm

Vunder31,

1) KL no longer serves MSP, will drop service to DTW on effective April 6 (although they’re scheduled to return this fall) and won’t fly to MEM daily in the spring.

2) Due to NW schedule cuts, it’s not possible to fly AMS-MEM-MCO in April and probably May.

3) I wouldn’t recommend flying into MIA – customs/immigration is a total nightmare all day long (but is at its worst in the early morning, when all the flights from South America arrive). It’s difficult to find an award seat on Continental Connection, as they only fly 19-seat tortureprops… fares from MIA-MCO are a pricy $250-$300 round trip.

4) Contrary to what you read in this forum, NW/KL service is very comparable – neither one is significantly better than the other (in fact, both have their good and bad points).

5) If I were you, I’d fly via DTW on an NW B747-400 on the outbound (I fly on these things all the time DTW-NRT… if you can get Row 35 – an exit row usually blocked off until the day of departure – you’ll have more room than WBC!!!) and via MEM on the KL MD-11 on the return… both MCO segments will be operated by A320 – if you get Row 5, you’ll have more room than any First Class seat!
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I knew there was something I forgot to write...
I'm not flying until January next year.

NW have not released any domestic seats yet, but some of the transatlantic flights are already low on award availability. The KLM elite helpdesk suggested that I send a letter to KLM, and they can ask NW to release award seats for me.
All flight options have been taken from the NW and KLM flight booking tools. Of course, schedules can change.

The MIA-MCO flight is listed as a NWA codeshare, operated by Gulfstream. I think I'll stay out of Miami, considering the immigration hoopla .
MEM and DTW seem like much better choices.
As a KLM GE, I can't request select seating on NW, right?
How about requesting exit rows on KLM flights? Can I request those 90 days in advance?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:33 am

Vunder31,

If you're traveling next January, then the choice will be a no-brainer: take NW's A330-300 -- the first half of coach, which you should be able to select as a KLM elite, will feature 33-34" pitch & laptop powerports (and PTV w/ondemand video at every seat... KL's B777 will also have PTV, but very cramped seating).
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:

2) Due to NW schedule cuts, it’s not possible to fly AMS-MEM-MCO in April and probably May.

</font>
IP...You're starting to sound like a KLM customer service person at Schiphol...scary

Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:20 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
[B]Vunder31,

If you're traveling next January, then the choice will be a no-brainer: take NW's A330-300 -- the first half of coach, which you should be able to select as a KLM elite, will feature 33-34" pitch & laptop powerports (and PTV w/ondemand video at every seat..B]</font>

Wher can I find out more details...dates, routes, seat configs etc. ?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by the wide chair:
IP...You're starting to sound like a KLM customer service person at Schiphol...scary </font>
It could be worse - I could imitate a consumer service rep of a certain other airline:

REP: …and then anyway it was like SO COOL…
PAX: um, excuse me, I’m looking for gate B12.
REP: look, don’t f***ing interrupt me, alright. and then, he liked looked at me and…

Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mike turnbull:
Wher can I find out more details...dates, routes, seat configs etc. ?</font>
NW's first A333 routes will be DTW-LGW and DTW-FRA in late summer/early fall. Dates TBD.

The A330-300 will have the new WBC and new Economy configuration -- the first half will have 33-34" pitch & laptop ports, all other seats will have 31-32" but every seat will have PTV with on-demand video.

The A330-300 will be flown in the Domestic USA at first, then entered into service across the Atlantic in late summer or early fall... more details will be announced soon.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 03-26-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.