FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KL or NW on Transatlantic Y?
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:48 pm
IndustrialPatent

Vunder31,

1) KL no longer serves MSP, will drop service to DTW on effective April 6 (although they’re scheduled to return this fall) and won’t fly to MEM daily in the spring.

2) Due to NW schedule cuts, it’s not possible to fly AMS-MEM-MCO in April and probably May.

3) I wouldn’t recommend flying into MIA – customs/immigration is a total nightmare all day long (but is at its worst in the early morning, when all the flights from South America arrive). It’s difficult to find an award seat on Continental Connection, as they only fly 19-seat tortureprops… fares from MIA-MCO are a pricy $250-$300 round trip.

4) Contrary to what you read in this forum, NW/KL service is very comparable – neither one is significantly better than the other (in fact, both have their good and bad points).

5) If I were you, I’d fly via DTW on an NW B747-400 on the outbound (I fly on these things all the time DTW-NRT… if you can get Row 35 – an exit row usually blocked off until the day of departure – you’ll have more room than WBC!!!) and via MEM on the KL MD-11 on the return… both MCO segments will be operated by A320 – if you get Row 5, you’ll have more room than any First Class seat!