Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Luggage - Catania Airport - Any Help/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Lost Luggage - Catania Airport - Any Help/Advice?

Apologies if this is the wrong place - new user and there didn't appear to be an appropriate forum category.

We travelled from Glasgow and arrived in Catania around lunchtime on 16 July 2023 but our luggage did not make the transfer at Schipol and so was delayed. As far as we can tell (thanks to AirTags but no thanks to KLM) the luggage arrived at Catania via Zurich later that night but as you may know there was an incident (fire) at the airport and Terminal A has been closed ever since. So we never got our luggage and we have now been back home in Glasgow since Monday 31 July 2023. Until this morning the luggage (two items) were showing as being in Terminal A. They have this morning moved to the freight yard ("Scalo Merci").

We have had practically no help from KLM, the only contact being with what appears to be a WhatsApp bot, and we are at a loss how to recover our bags. We can't get any answer from any of the numbers (lost luggage, lost and found, etc.) at Catania Airport, and I keep being fobbed off by the KLM bot (for nearly three weeks now) that they are awaiting an update from their baggage department. We believe the lost baggage files have been updated with our home address for the luggage to be delivered but I have no idea if/when this will actually happen. Again, we are unable to actually speak to a person who can help or even confirm that this is in hand.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations as to who we might contact to try and get some help? I visited the freight yard ("Scalo Merci") about five days into our holiday and the manager there was very apologetic and searched there for the bags just in case but they were clearly in Terminal A and hence inaccessible. He had no idea when Terminal A might reopen so that he could try and find the bags. Clearly they have now been "found", or at least moved from where they were sitting in Terminal A while it was closed. If I could speak to him again (or someone in his department) I'm sure we could make some headway but I have no idea how to reach him.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd have thought KLM would be more helpful but I have been completely disappointed. The same thing (lost luggage) happened to us last year; in that case it was Ryanair but we at least got our bags back eventually (albeit 40 minutes after we had checked out to return home...).

Stephen
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to flyertalk @stegz. As this is a KL flight issue, we'll move your query to the KL forum. Best of luck. CTA is quite a unique area of the country.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:42 pm

Hello Stephen,

Sorry for this bad adventure.

In very unusual circumstances like these, it's not unusual for airlines and airports to play ping pong with each other until a solution is found. Theoretically, your bag is still part of a police investigation area. Once released, it's up to the authority to deliver the bag back to airport services, and then back to the airline. And KLM is theoretically in charge of bringing it back to you.

Call KLM instead of using the bot at +44 20 76 60 02 93 and explain the situation very simply. "Bag was delayed, airport burnt, bag is still at Catania. Have you located the bag ?" Do not let them go away with an easy answer, ask for a clear info on wether or not they have located the bag and are able to bring it back or if they are working with the authorities to solve this. If you are not happy with the answer, ask to speak to a manager. If denied, hang up and call again.

Otherwise, you can try to call SAC, one of the service company of Catania Airport, it deals with all sorts of management of support structures/services. +39 095 346350 or email them at [email protected] / You can also try with Catania airport lost items here : +39 095 7239630 and at [email protected]

And for your information, because this is a very special situation, at Catania airport, OPS (pax and ramp services, load control, flight operations, ticketing sales desk) are all operated and supervised on behalf of airlines by GH ITALIA. They are the one probably holding your bag at this point. Here are the contacts for Catania airport specifically : The station Manager is Vincenzo Cocina / E-mail: [email protected] / Try to call +39 095 7239305 or e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

The website of GH ITALIA Handling services is here : Link.

And when they tell you vaff_____ just say : Mi aiuti per favore.

Good luck.

Other than that, it's Sicily, and you know what that means. Pray Saint Anthony of Padova everyday.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stegz
We believe the lost baggage files have been updated with our home address for the luggage to be delivered but I have no idea if/when this will actually happen. Again, we are unable to actually speak to a person who can help or even confirm that this is in hand.
Using the WorldTracer file reference you should have been given, you can add this address or verify that this address has been added yourself on the WorldTracer website
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 12, 2023 at 3:35 am
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Exactly, check the progress & amend your delivery address here:
https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...2-B7FB5C8EE7E3
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:45 am

Hello!
New here but experiencing a similar situation, flew Catania to Rome to NY JFK and apparently my luggage never made it onto the plane in Catania. Wondering if Stegz had any luck in retrieving their luggage?? Desperate here, getting no updates from anyone (flew ITA/Delta)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.