FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost Luggage - Catania Airport - Any Help/Advice?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:27 am
stegz

Lost Luggage - Catania Airport - Any Help/Advice?

Apologies if this is the wrong place - new user and there didn't appear to be an appropriate forum category.

We travelled from Glasgow and arrived in Catania around lunchtime on 16 July 2023 but our luggage did not make the transfer at Schipol and so was delayed. As far as we can tell (thanks to AirTags but no thanks to KLM) the luggage arrived at Catania via Zurich later that night but as you may know there was an incident (fire) at the airport and Terminal A has been closed ever since. So we never got our luggage and we have now been back home in Glasgow since Monday 31 July 2023. Until this morning the luggage (two items) were showing as being in Terminal A. They have this morning moved to the freight yard ("Scalo Merci").

We have had practically no help from KLM, the only contact being with what appears to be a WhatsApp bot, and we are at a loss how to recover our bags. We can't get any answer from any of the numbers (lost luggage, lost and found, etc.) at Catania Airport, and I keep being fobbed off by the KLM bot (for nearly three weeks now) that they are awaiting an update from their baggage department. We believe the lost baggage files have been updated with our home address for the luggage to be delivered but I have no idea if/when this will actually happen. Again, we are unable to actually speak to a person who can help or even confirm that this is in hand.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations as to who we might contact to try and get some help? I visited the freight yard ("Scalo Merci") about five days into our holiday and the manager there was very apologetic and searched there for the bags just in case but they were clearly in Terminal A and hence inaccessible. He had no idea when Terminal A might reopen so that he could try and find the bags. Clearly they have now been "found", or at least moved from where they were sitting in Terminal A while it was closed. If I could speak to him again (or someone in his department) I'm sure we could make some headway but I have no idea how to reach him.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd have thought KLM would be more helpful but I have been completely disappointed. The same thing (lost luggage) happened to us last year; in that case it was Ryanair but we at least got our bags back eventually (albeit 40 minutes after we had checked out to return home...).

Stephen