FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

Markie May 24, 2022 8:29 am

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 34275929)
Honestly, I'd rather spend the money and switch from the Sheraton to Yotelair for the privilege of getting an extra couple hours of shut-eye... As long as we don't end up bringing checked luggage (apparently the hotel won't allow it and we'd need to keep it in a locker airside, which would defeat the purpose). Given our trip is a week long, I think we can get away with it.

I have booked the Yotelair for exact same reasons for my trip next week. I hope it's not too hot as I won't sleep!

BubbaX May 24, 2022 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 34275698)
Wow, that's 0.1 point lower than KLM :p

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dbe80a7005.png

And yet somehow still above BA, LH, LX, SAS, and the rest. I'd blame the Verstappen effect, but AF is even higher. Very weird system.

HadesNL May 24, 2022 8:52 am

Originally Posted by jongesander (Post 34275605)
we are heading to Lombok tomorrow. Flying QR J .

Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Looking forward reading your impressions on your blog.

TGW5 May 24, 2022 8:55 am

Got to Schiphol around 14:30 today, so around 2.5h before my Schengen KLM cityhopper flight. No checked luggage, so straight to security. Maybe I got lucky or it had eased up today because the queue really wasn't that bad, I waited maybe 10 minutes. Then the flight ended up being delayed by over an hour.

HadesNL May 24, 2022 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BubbaX (Post 34276030)
And yet somehow still above BA, LH, LX, SAS, and the rest. I'd blame the Verstappen effect, but AF is even higher. Very weird system.

The reviews of Schiphol are even worse:
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.schiphol.nl
(Switch to Dutch and you will see that even the locals are getting desperate)

And picked up by national news:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2430047-probl...erug-uit-davos

Fabo.sk May 24, 2022 9:11 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34266543)
According to Luchtvaartnieuws KLM is blaming airport congestion, the weather, and staff shortages.

Captain blamed weather delaying previous flights.
No matter, 90 minute delay on departure was pulled to about 60, giving me enough time to grab a quick drink of champagne in the Paris lounge, though not the dinner I hoped for.
AF still didn't manage to load my bag, though in the end they did me a favor, as it arrived the next day, and was delivered straight to my cabin on the ship I was boarding, so I was saved from having to carry it around Barcelona.

​​​​

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34268480)
Precisely like this.

Until the airlines stop flying to AMS what are passengers going to do?.

I understand Corendon is planning to do just that.

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34274043)
They will have to cut flights immediately and move them to RTM or EIN, even BRU or DUS if necessary.
There is no other option the coming few months.

What makes you think RTM, EIN, BRU or DUS would be any better suited to deal with sudden uptick in capacity? They are better at dealing with what they have now, but growth will be similarly stunted, especially sudden and immediate.

Originally Posted by HadesNL (Post 34275572)
And i know see the Privium lounges have become pay4use for non members:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/privium/a...r-journey/Even if you are not a Privium member, you can enjoy all the convenience and comfort of one of the Privium Lounges. Costs:
  • Privium ClubLounge Departures: € 50
  • Privium ClubLounge West: € 60
  • Privium ExpressLounge: € 40

I thought that was already an option? Or was it only for guests of Privium users?
I certainly had guests in the old NS lounge previously, and also paid way less than even the 40€ per pax, though vouchers were involved for at least one of the guests...

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34275627)
Eeks! Eeks! Eeks!

That’s a slippery slope.

Let's hope the ridiculous prices will deter most prospective guests.

Johan

​​​​​​​At 40€ for the express lounge, I sure expect so.

Netherlines May 24, 2022 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34276127)
No matter, 90 minute delay on departure was pulled to about 60, giving me enough time to grab a quick drink of champagne in the Paris lounge, though not the dinner I hoped for.
AF still didn't manage to load my bag, though in the end they did me a favor, as it arrived the next day, and was delivered straight to my cabin on the ship I was boarding, so I was saved from having to carry it around Barcelona.

​​​​

What makes you think RTM, EIN, BRU or DUS would be any better suited to deal with sudden uptick in capacity? They are better at dealing with what they have now, but growth will be similarly stunted, especially sudden and immediate.

I thought that was already an option? Or was it only for guests of Privium users?
I certainly had guests in the old NS lounge previously, and also paid way less than even the 40€ per pax, though vouchers were involved for at least one of the guests...

At 40€ for the express lounge, I sure expect so.

The catering at the Privium lounges is all of a sudden pretty poor.Exactly the same trash that's being served in the KL lounges..
I will ask staff in the departures lounge this Friday before my Hamburg flight if they took on a new catering company.Not worth 40 EUR

BobTL May 24, 2022 9:42 am

​​​​

At 40€ for the express lounge, I sure expect so.

well it’s not a like for like situation in all airports, is it? So DUS for example were able to accommodate Corendon flights so at least there has to be looked at the other nearby airports what the options are. Also, KLM can look at using bigger aircraft but fewer departures for example.
There is not just one simple solution for this problem.
Maybe the conclusion is that a part just has to be canceled. That would be a shame but the safety of employees and other pax is most important.

LHKE May 24, 2022 2:46 pm

I had an EU to EU connecting flight today via AMS. My luggage did not make the connection. Would you be kind to direct me or give advice where and how to claim the expnces of the esential items. I did really small shopping today. Hope that my bag will appear tomorrow or day after tomorrow. So, I intend to buy day by day esential items only. I mean, bought ony a toothbrush and a new shirt today.

johan rebel May 24, 2022 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Netherlines (Post 34276171)
The catering at the Privium lounges is all of a sudden pretty poor.

Yeah, I was far from impressed in the Express Lounge this morning: plain and fruit yoghurt, mixed fruit (all of which ran out), some pastries, a few rolls, a very limited selection of prepackaged cold cuts and cheese in the fridge, two bags of mixed nuts and some Toblerone, that was about it. Not good at all, and certainly not what I expect of them.

Johan.

johan rebel May 24, 2022 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 34275166)
I'm not sure you'd be able to go airside with a BP for the following day.

I can confirm from personal experience that you can. I've done it more times than I care to remember when staying at the airside Mercure.

Johan

johan rebel May 24, 2022 3:27 pm

My captain blamed runway maintenance and winds that insistence on blowing from the wrong direction. There was some truth in that, only runways 24 (departures) and 27 (departures and arrivals) were in use. However, the plane originally slated to operated the flight arrived at Schiphol in plenty of time to do so, but was sent to another destination instead. The aircraft we got instead was running hours late. Pure speculation, but I suspect this may have suited KL just fine. The next flight to CPH having been canceled, the delay allowed them to squeeze a number of pax from that canceled flight onto mine.

Johan

johan rebel May 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34276206)
Also, KLM can look at using bigger aircraft but fewer departures for example.

How would that reduce the number of passengers? Also, does KLM have a bunch of bigger aircraft lying around in some drawer somewhere? And the pilots to fly them?

Johan

JeffersonCampervan May 24, 2022 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34277413)
How would that reduce the number of passengers? Also, does KLM have a bunch of bigger aircraft lying around in some drawer somewhere? And the pilots to fly them?

Johan

They could dust off the 747s (additional bonus - I could fly KLM with our dog in the hold again, something not possible on the 787s which mostly replaced them on the Toronto run!)

johan rebel May 24, 2022 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan (Post 34277443)
They could dust off the 747

They could, but that just won't fly. There's a reason they are gathering that dust. Those that are left, that is.

Johan