Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:25 pm

Arrived at Schiphol at 4.50am. Seemed quiet enough but frustratingly the priority gates (above SP check-in (Schiphol had the little desk manned) weren't activated yet (only the one for Privium) so had to go back down and across (to the alternative security enterance next to the front of the building/doors) where the Priority and non-Priority queues were merged immediately after the boarding pass scan. Apparently dedicating a member of staff to stop anyone going up the escalator (and yelling at anyone who tried to take the stairs) was of prime importance for Schiphol but manning the priority line at the top of the stairs wasn't (I slipped behind the barrier and missed the otherwise long-ish queue but no one else did the same).

I assume it'll be sorted out by later in the morning. Curious at what time.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL, AY+, UA, Bonvoy. My elite status depends on how often my stingy boss sends me on trips.
Just curious, anyone knows about possibly new machines stored in the arrival passport control hall under F pier at Schiphol?

Arrived at AMS last Sunday 27/11 at 7AM, I saw 10-20-ish white machines covered in plastic wrap to the left of the manned passport control booths.
Unsure if they are self check-in/transfer machine (as these have rather large monitor-like screens, but not in typical Schiphol yellow or KLM white-blue casing) or new automated gates, though I didn't see if there are parts resembling of portals or gates.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by sakedon
Just curious, anyone knows about possibly new machines stored in the arrival passport control hall under F pier at Schiphol?

Arrived at AMS last Sunday 27/11 at 7AM, I saw 10-20-ish white machines covered in plastic wrap to the left of the manned passport control booths.
Unsure if they are self check-in/transfer machine (as these have rather large monitor-like screens, but not in typical Schiphol yellow or KLM white-blue casing) or new automated gates, though I didn't see if there are parts resembling of portals or gates.
Maybe they are extending use of the new scanners they had in Sky Priority?
the ones where you save time by not having to remove belts and laptops but lose it again in the post-scanner checks.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I must say - I do miss Johan Rebel’s regular updates in this thread!
Fritz, psollitt, Gajan and 12 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mandolino
the ones where you save time by not having to remove belts and laptops but lose it again in the post-scanner checks.
Those scanners are now present at all security checkpoints (for baggage, body scanners are differing between the tube and two plates types).

However this question is regarding passport control not security control.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Originally Posted by sakedon

As they are in the passport control zone they're most likely new additions or replacements for the current e-gates at the Dutch/Schengen border. These can be operated by anyone holding an EER passport on entry and for some others (US, Canada, Australia, and a few more) on exiting the Schengen area. The reason they're white is that these machines are operated by the KMAR (Dutch Border Police)
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
BA850 : likewise,
his keen observation skills + dry humor added some illumination in Schiphol+KLM dark uncertaintes
Fritz, HB-IWC, Victor88 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BA850
I must say - I do miss Johan Rebel’s regular updates in this thread!
His contributions are sorely missed indeed. Someone should reach out to him and right what went wrong.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mandolino
Doesn’t sound like those then newly-delivered machines would be CT scanners for cabin baggage. More likely they are a product of the Accenture-VisionBox collaboration for a “seamless flow” project aspect unrelated to cabin baggage scanning.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Just adding some data points to this thread. Four times outbound thru AMS, three non Schengen and one Schengen in past 10 days.

No lines or waits at all using Privium. However Privium Lounge was noticeably busy
b12e likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
For those travelling into LCY and with delayed flights

- due to overnight snow and mass cancellations
- planes are still occupying gates / apron
- LCY restricting arrivals severely!

first hand info from pilots as i am on the BA4452 RTM-LCY service....
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
For the first time since spring I had chanced on a slightly short connection of 65 minutes today. Of course it is this day that we pick up a 30 minute delay because swissport "didn't load the baggage correctly" and had to re-pack some bags to the rear hold.

I made my connection no problem but could watch the late connection luggage cart arrive without my bag on it.

Good in the sense that I could hot foot it to the luggage office and get in ahead of the dozen or so unfortunate fellow passengers in a similar situation.

So my confidence in AMS luggage handling took a little knock today. My confidence in swissport at home in BRS is already as low as it can get...
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Is 50 minute connection at AMS with SP doable for a Schenghen to non-Schenghen itinerary: MPL-AMS-LCY? Both flights are on Cityhopper E190s. The connection is scheduled from 18:40-19:30 on a Sunday if it makes a difference. (And I'm a fast walker.) Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:47 am

Currently waiting for my flight to MUC. All Schiphol staff is very unfriendly, very rude, very stressed, or all of the above.

The only smiling staff member was the lady at check-in who said that "it won't get any better until February".

Non priority security for Schengen was about 20 minutes, priority was about 10.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by gncohen
Is 50 minute connection at AMS with SP doable for a Schenghen to non-Schenghen itinerary: MPL-AMS-LCY? Both flights are on Cityhopper E190s. The connection is scheduled from 18:40-19:30 on a Sunday if it makes a difference. (And I'm a fast walker.) Thanks for any thoughts.
Not great, but doable. Hopefully you have a passport that lets you use biometric gates, although you will possibly use short connection passage anyway.

Good news is that LCY will leave from D bus gates which are close to the passport control. Jury is out on whether MPL arrival via bus or on B gates will be better for you. Advantage bus is that it will drop you close to the passport control. Advantage gates is that you don't have to wait for the bus. But it is a long walk from B to D.

Good news is that while the 19:30 is (as of current schedule) the last flight to LCY, there is one more KLM departure at 20:30 and two late BA departures most nights, so you still have a decent chance of getting to London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.