Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Lobster soup is a main now?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Just flew into Amsterdam on the 777 with early evening departure. Having flown AF on the outbound I was not too impressed with KLM's catering in comparison.

Choice of broccoli soup or salmon starter. Mains was fine (I chose beef cheeks) but nothing spectacular. Desert was OK. Only one set of cutlery for the three courses.

Breakfast before arrival was well below standard for an 11 hr flight.

A small amount of fruit, a bread roll, some slices of cheap Gouda and a muffin. The only thing it had going for itself was the fact that it is light - which is probably the better choice when in the air eating breakfast at 1PM.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
HUY-AMS (6AM flight) and AMS-HUY in Y: did not receive a drinks choice, just a bottle of water and crisps (I actually like those crisps, beats the cheese sandwich!).

I am pretty sure they would offer regular drinks service on the route before in Y... not sure if it's my memory playing tricks or not... they do serve drinks in J.

Does anyone remember for sure?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
HUY-AMS (6AM flight) and AMS-HUY in Y: did not receive a drinks choice, just a bottle of water and crisps (I actually like those crisps, beats the cheese sandwich!).

I am pretty sure they would offer regular drinks service on the route before in Y... not sure if it's my memory playing tricks or not... they do serve drinks in J.

Does anyone remember for sure?
On these short sectors to AMS (from DUS, BRE, HAJ, NWI, BRU, LUX, HUY), i can't remember been offered a drink choice. It is water with a snack (most times the crisps), Which is already more than most airlines offer on a flight 25 - 45 minutes long. In business class, there would be probably an offer of drinks including beer or wine. But in economy, with 2 attendants, water and snack is all the can handle during the short flight. The offering in Y is already much more than many competitor oh those short sectors
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by tourguide
On these short sectors to AMS (from DUS, BRE, HAJ, NWI, BRU, LUX, HUY), i can't remember been offered a drink choice. It is water with a snack (most times the crisps), Which is already more than most airlines offer on a flight 25 - 45 minutes long. In business class, there would be probably an offer of drinks including beer or wine. But in economy, with 2 attendants, water and snack is all the can handle during the short flight. The offering in Y is already much more than many competitor oh those short sectors
I've always been offered a "short wanders box" and drink on AMS-BRU, although 0=2
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by b12e
I've always been offered a "short wanders box" and drink on AMS-BRU, although 0=2
in Y? If it was in Business, a Wanders box on a 25 min flight in the air would be excellent service i woiuld think?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by tourguide
in Y? If it was in Business, a Wanders box on a 25 min flight in the air would be excellent service i woiuld think?
my bad, J.
tourguide likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Service on European flights has been depending for long time in which bands/service ring the destination is located, currently these are the destinations and their service;
X short destinations are BRE BRU DUS NWI In EBC a bag is offered hot drinks are optional, NO full bar on these 4 destinations,, in economy a sweet( before noon) or savoury snack and water is offered.Flying time in general is under 30 minutes
X short + service (30-45 min flying..)is available on flights to FRA HAJ HAM HUY LCY LHR LUX, in EBC a mealbox is offered along with drinks(full bar) in economy a sweet/savoury snack with bottle of water.

Short destinations; BER/BHX/BLL/CDG/LBA/MAB/NCL/SOU/STR IN EBC mealbox, and full bar service, in economy a sweet or savoury snack and a bar service including hot beverages and beer/wine/juice/cola etc

On all longer flights in economy a bar service is offered and a (vegetarian )sandwich ( and an additional snack on the longest flights)
There is no difference if the flight is operated by cityhopper or mainline. There is also no difference in beverage selection at any time of the day
Hope this info which is correct for this summer season helps you out on when to expect a drink or snack
hugolover and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by splflyer; Apr 11, 2023 at 1:21 am
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splflyer
Service on European flights has been depending for long time in which bands/service ring the destination is located, currently these are the destinations and their service;
X short destinations are BRE BRU DUS NWI In EBC a bag is offered along with a drink service( full bar) , in economy a sweet( before noon) or savoury snack and water is offered.
I have not flown to/from NWI in a while but the description of "bag + drink service( full bar)" in EBC strikes me as half-fiction or unbridled optimism. The first half (bag) is true but the drink service must be 'when the crew can be bothered'. I have never experienced a crew that was bothered to provide a drink service on that route so the drink service was always the water bottle that was in the bag and absolutely nothing else whatsoever.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: KL Plat
Posted originally in the wrong thread yesterday. Last month AMS-NWI in J late flight was the bag and coffee/tea but nothing more. NWI-AMS early flight the same (although didn't ask for anything more as I guessed it would be no, certainly nothing offered).
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
After your remarks about the service, my klm contact checked their inflight manual, and you guys are correct these 4 destinations DO NOT get a full barservice The post has been updated
Hot drinks are optional ! as well so its the bag... On other flights eg HAM klm received many complaints from crew and passengers as there was no beverage selection in C class, this has been changed now into a full beverage selection. Also CPH receives a so called Medium product iso Short.

On a different note.... Champagne is back in WBC since last Saturday/april 8th ... i did not see it mentioned yet.
in other news; on longer European flights Ginger ale is now available iso Sprite/Zero, and with the introduction of b 777 flights to TLV a hot meal will be offered again in economy, in this way the product is more in alignment with the current AF product on TLV flights( effective may 29th)
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: FB Gold
I know flying Y concerns very few of you guys, but it seems like KLC (Cityhopper) has cut back its short-haul Y service to absolute minimum : a bottle of water and bag of crisps. Take it or leave it.

Guess even a beverage cart is too much cost and effort
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
I know flying Y concerns very few of you guys, but it seems like KLC (Cityhopper) has cut back its short-haul Y service to absolute minimum : a bottle of water and bag of crisps. Take it or leave it.

Guess even a beverage cart is too much cost and effort
Which route? Per posts above, this has been the norm on some of the shortest (e.g., AMS-BRU) for a while.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by BA850
Which route? I think this has been the norm on some of the shortest (e.g., AMS-BRU) for a while.
This was AMS-FRA. Took a look a couple posts above, confirms what was mentioned by splflyer

Not too long ago, this was a snack plus normal beverage service in Y- as in, beverage cart with at least a choice.....which is what AF Hop ! does on CDG - FRA.
BA850 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Yeah they definitely scaled down Y service on some destinations which used to have a drinks cart before.

Also the last flight I took in J did not have fresh OJ (or tonic) but I hope they just failed to load it, and that it's not a permanent change.
BA850 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.