Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a fair fare to Tanzania from the US (non-hub city)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

What is a fair fare to Tanzania from the US (non-hub city)

Hi, I am looking into making a trip to Tanzania next year. I am thinking about June or July (dry season = high season). What is a fair fare from the non-US hub city to Tanzania? When is best to buy those tickets?

I am seeing that looking for June/July next year, the fares are now at about $1500+. Is this typical? Or, because it is still a year ahead, there are no discounted fares?

Or, because it is a peak season, there will be no discounted tickets?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Destination in TZ for KL can have a big impact on price (ZNZ, JRO, DAR). Do shop around also on days of the week.

As the US has a big Embassy and not oh so super secret military radar whatever base in DAR there is high demand for tickets to US via AMS due to some rules of US government obliged to fly certain airlines.

1500 for economy sounds a bit excessive but is sort of what I think you should expect.

if you are going to Serengeti, you can start in NBO to. It is often much cheaper.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hi

buying tickets at fair price is not rocket science but there are tips

regardless of the season you will travel , tickets tend to be more expensive when you buy them during summer and booking one year ahead may not be a good idea

You need to know the trends of the markets , especially for your origin and destination.

can i ask what is this non-hub city ? is delta or klm flying there ? is there a bigger international airport close from this non-hub city ??

If you opened this thread here , it mean you would like to fly with a skyteam airline , then KLM is your only choice for the last leg of your journey

You can use google and see the prices for the next 12 months and use filters to see prices with skyteam airlines or others , and also track prices by setting up alerts

I hope this will help you
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fifty_two
If you opened this thread here , it mean you would like to fly with a skyteam airline , then KLM is your only choice for the last leg of your journey
KQ...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by typical
KQ...
Oh yes also , you are correct

To the extent that OP can find codeshares between KQ and AF/KL/DL on your route
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your inputs. I would like to fly into JRO and fly out of NBO.

I am looking for July next year, and I am thinking that it might be still too early for any discounted fares. From what I have been reading, it appears that discounted fares are not loaded into the system until a bit closer to the departure date. For instance, flights 11 month out are typically more expensive than 8-9 month out (simply because airlines start putting better deals into the system closer to the departure date).

My question was about the typical price of airfare for high season (dry season) in northern Tanzania. I know that there is a limited supply of flights, and perhaps a relatively large demand, so airlines are incentivized to put higher fares for the high season.

I was trying to get a sense of the typical in-season pricing.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input! Really appreciate it, and this is incredibly helpful. The nearest large airport is IAD, but the prices are actually significantly more expensive than from my smaller airport in the area (Delta has good connections to JFK, from where I can connect onto KLM).

My question was about the typical airfare for high season (dry season) in northern Tanzania. I know that there is a limited supply of flights, and perhaps a relatively large demand, so airlines are incentivized to put higher fares for the high season.

I know that Google flights is a great tool, and I see that prices are cheaper for flights departing 6 to 8 months out. I was curious whether the flights departing 11 months are the best fares there ever will be, or whether the airlines may start loading some discounts into the system closer to the actual departure date. And if the latter, when can I expect those to happen?

Also, for the KQ:
  • Is this airline reliable? I was reading that they are experiencing massive financial losses (though decreasing). I would hate to buy a flight on an airline that can go bankrupt.
  • I am trying to reach gold status with Delta next year. I am seeing that Delta "penalizes" lower fares with 50% MQM and pretty dire MQDs on KQ flights, so it perhaps makes more sense to fly KLM or Delta, or KQ on DL/KL stock.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I live near IAD and just visited Tanzania, so Ive been watching these routes for the past year. For what it is worth Ive seen sale fares from IAD to NBO and DAR over the past two months RT in economy ranging between $600-700 on Skyteam. I also was able to purchase tickets for my family from PHL-NBO RT in Delta/KLM business class for just over $1700pp via the Expedia deal that has been discussed in the premium fare deal thread. We decided it was worth adding the drive to PHL to get that price. We just returned from that trip, but tickets at that price were still available at the beginning of the summer. So if you know what youre willing to do in terms of airports and dates and keep an eye on the deals, you can probably find something at or near those price points.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue
In question to KQ

they are fine to use if required due to ticketing. I would however choose for KL or AF if you have the choice. The service level is not on par with KQ. But reliability is ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.