Baggage Delay Compensation

Old Sep 16, 17, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Baggage Delay Compensation

Dear all,

on a KLM flight yesterday my baggage got delayed and did not arrive with me at my destination. I talked to KLM who told me that the suitcase would arrive "on the next flight" but the ground staff in Berlin told me that it usually takes 2-4 days to get the bag.

In response I called Air France (I'm a Platinum member) and asked what I should do since I have several appointments I need to go to and nothing to wear. The service rep told me not to worry and to buy "whatever I need".

I'm happy to do that, but I assume there must be some maximum reimbursement rules. Anyone has an idea how much they are? I would like to avoid buying "whatever I need" and then end up with receipts not being reimbursed ...

Thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 16, 17, 12:06 pm

As long as you stay within reasonable "whatever you need" you should be fine.
1000€ shoes might not cut it, but by all means buy what you need, I had no trouble getting reimbursed even for sunglasses...
Mike_Paris and Hanna_ like this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:17 pm

Delayed baggage

Hi There,

I was travelling from Ottawa to Amsterdam with KLM when my baggage did not arrive. I was told to buy neccessities as well. I had to buy enough for meetings that night and again with the exact same person the next day starting very early. In total I spent 500 euros on 2 pants,shirts, underwear, socks, toiletries and 1 pair of shoes. How hard to claim and when can I file it? I reported delayed immediately at the KLM desk and a file reference and all the receipts.

Thanks,

Todd
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:26 pm

You should use this form on their website, I would advise to wait until your baggage arrived (if it haven't yet), as you might need to buy more necessities.

Please do report back if you managed to get it all refunded, or if you encountered any issues.
Hanna_ likes this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
You should use this form on their website, I would advise to wait until your baggage arrived (if it haven't yet), as you might need to buy more necessities.
But be sure to claim within 21 days of it being delivered or you won't be reimbursed anything.
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a general rule, ask yourself what you would do if you were not going to be reimbursed. Because you might not be. Thus, spend as though it is out of your pocket until it is not.

Also bear in mind that if the bag is lost or stolen and thus never recovered, at 21 days, up to a maximum of EUR 1,410 will be paid. Anything for interim expenses will reduce the EUR 1,409 by the amount reimbursed.

If you absolutely must check a bag, do remember to keep the first 2-3 days of clothing in your carryon. That will eliminate a lot of stress and running around prior to meetings.
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:26 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Lockett24 View Post
I had to buy enough for meetings that night and again with the exact same person the next day starting very early. In total I spent 500 euros on 2 pants,shirts, underwear, socks, toiletries and 1 pair of shoes.
tbh €500 seems a hell of a lot for 2 changes of business clothing... but if they do accept it without question, the repayment is quick.
I've had this happen about 3 times in my last 20 flights, average €50 reclaimed each time. I took a photo of the receipt, filled in the form, and the money arrived in my account 3 days later.

oh yeah, and pants&socks weigh nothing, so always put a change in your hand luggage!
Old Oct 18, 17, 1:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by husball View Post
tbh 500 seems a hell of a lot for 2 changes of business clothing... but if they do accept it without question, the repayment is quick.
I've had this happen about 3 times in my last 20 flights, average 50 reclaimed each time. I took a photo of the receipt, filled in the form, and the money arrived in my account 3 days later.

oh yeah, and pants&socks weigh nothing, so always put a change in your hand luggage!
Doesn't seem excessive at all, with a pair of dress shoes.
Old Oct 19, 17, 6:55 am

Indeed, at €500 for two suits plus shoes, those are pretty cheap suits already.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold
Is there any limit on whether reimbursement for such necessary costs is due when baggage goes missing on the return flight (ie, the flight home)? My bag was recently delayed and since I had all (ie, both) of my suits in it, I had to buy a new one because I needed it for a next day appointment [i'm in a field where two suits is more than most of my peers own]

KLM agent at the airport told me that I am not going to be reimbursed for the costs because "we expect that you have sufficient change of clothes at home". Is that really the case, or should I just go ahead and file a request for reimbursement?
Old Jun 19, 19, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ok986 View Post
Is there any limit on whether reimbursement for such necessary costs is due when baggage goes missing on the return flight (ie, the flight home)? My bag was recently delayed and since I had all (ie, both) of my suits in it, I had to buy a new one because I needed it for a next day appointment [i'm in a field where two suits is more than most of my peers own]

KLM agent at the airport told me that I am not going to be reimbursed for the costs because "we expect that you have sufficient change of clothes at home". Is that really the case, or should I just go ahead and file a request for reimbursement?
you can try for sure but do not be too optimistic.
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:56 am

Ditto, could you, please kindly give an advice

1000 shoes might not cut it, but by all means buy what you need, I had no trouble getting reimbursed even for sunglasses...
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:00 am

Ditto, could you, please kindly give an advice

How did you explain in this complain form that you needed sunglasses as one on those first need items.
Does it matter when they decide on compensation if you are flying to your homecity or you are flying somewhere FROM your homecity.

Any kind of advice willbe highly appreciated as you already have experience 🙂

1000 shoes might not cut it, but by all means buy what you need, I had no trouble getting reimbursed even for sunglasses...
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Hanna_ View Post
How did you explain in this complain form that you needed sunglasses as one on those first need items.
Does it matter when they decide on compensation if you are flying to your homecity or you are flying somewhere FROM your homecity.

Any kind of advice willbe highly appreciated as you already have experience 🙂
I didn't explain anything, I submitted my claim and attached the receipts, which is why I'm saying as long as the expenses are reasonable you should be fine, obviously I bought a cheapish pair of sunglasses (somewhere around 50 IIRC)
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:44 am

O, thank you very much for such a quick reply!!
may I also kindly ask you to tell the total amount of money they reinbursed you?
Thank you in advance for the answer

I didn't explain anything, I submitted my claim and attached the receipts, which is why I'm saying as long as the expenses are reasonable you should be fine, obviously I bought a cheapish pair of sunglasses (somewhere around 50 IIRC)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: