Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a layover in Amsterdam to a stopover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Alaska Airlines MVP, BA Exec Club Blue, Hilton Honors Silver
Arrow Changing a layover in Amsterdam to a stopover

Hi all,

I know KLM offers free stopovers but I only found that out after making a ticket booking. I currently have a 10h layover, I am wondering if I can change that into a longer stopover. Any idea on whether I will be charged change fees or just the cost of the new ticket? The ticket was booked through Delta.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aryan
Hi all,

I know KLM offers free stopovers but I only found that out after making a ticket booking.
That is not a general rule.

Whether or not a stopover will affect the price of your fare depends on the underlying fare rules.

I currently have a 10h layover, I am wondering if I can change that into a longer stopover. Any idea on whether I will be charged change fees or just the cost of the new ticket? The ticket was booked through Delta.
You will have to consult the fare rules of your ticket. There will be a change fee to pay, plus any difference in the fare.

You can sometimes change tickets online; I would advise you to look your ticket up online and see if you can do so. If not, you are stuck with calling Delta.

I expect this will cost far more than you are expecting to do; however, with no idea of routes, fare class, or even class of travel, it's hard to judge.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Alaska Airlines MVP, BA Exec Club Blue, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That is not a general rule.

Whether or not a stopover will affect the price of your fare depends on the underlying fare rules.

You will have to consult the fare rules of your ticket. There will be a change fee to pay, plus any difference in the fare.

You can sometimes change tickets online; I would advise you to look your ticket up online and see if you can do so. If not, you are stuck with calling Delta.

I expect this will cost far more than you are expecting to do; however, with no idea of routes, fare class, or even class of travel, it's hard to judge.
I see. Thanks for clarifying. The Fare Class is X so I am guessing that gives me the least possible flexibility. The flight I'd need to change is the AMS-PIT route. I am a Delta Gold Medallion but I believe that only helps waive a same day change fee, not the change fee in general.
10 hours is enough to see the city real quick and head back I guess, and in the worst case there's the KLM Crown Lounge
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the worst case there's the KLM Crown Lounge
Worst case . . . you said it!

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
The flight I'd need to change is the AMS-PIT route.
Is there a non-stop service AMS-PIT?

If your ticket is within 24 hours, you may cancel it risk-free and then purchase a new one though.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
Is there a non-stop service AMS-PIT?.
No. KL doesn't serve PIT (neither does AF) and the only international service on DL from PIT is to CUN, served seasonally.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By "layover" you likely mean "connection". Whether and what this will cost, if anything, is a matter of the fare rules for your specific ticket. Best thing is to determine the routing you do want and then calculate what it will cost to make the change. It might not be that much.

While KL does not serve PIT, DL most assuredly does and there is service on KL/DL connecting at JFK and DTW. There may also be other more circuitous routings and those may be even cheaper (or not).

Bottom line is that hypotheticals do not mean much when faring a ticket or a change.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No. KL doesn't serve PIT (neither does AF) and the only international service on DL from PIT is to CUN, served seasonally.
Yeah, sorry. This was AMS-ATL-PIT. There is a seasonal AF service CDG-PIT, PIT-CDG but it's always an adventure to see if it is confirmed for the year or not.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
By "layover" you likely mean "connection". Whether and what this will cost, if anything, is a matter of the fare rules for your specific ticket. Best thing is to determine the routing you do want and then calculate what it will cost to make the change. It might not be that much.

While KL does not serve PIT, DL most assuredly does and there is service on KL/DL connecting at JFK and DTW. There may also be other more circuitous routings and those may be even cheaper (or not).

Bottom line is that hypotheticals do not mean much when faring a ticket or a change.
Well, yes. That part is pretty clear. My question was specifically about the KLM free stopover policy but it seems those are subject to these rules too. Regarding "layover" versus "connection", I guess connection is more precise .
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question was specifically about the KLM free stopover policy but it seems those are subject to these rules too.
KLM Free stopovers only currently appear to be advertised for intineraries commencing in:

Argentina
Brazil
Chile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.