Issue Changing a Flexible Ticket

Old Sep 2, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
Issue Changing a Flexible Ticket

Booked a flexible ticket yesterday and now want to move the outbound flight to earlier time.

When I try to change it online, it shows there is 0 fare difference and no penalty. Yet when I try to complete the transaction it tells me 17 is due.

I called and spoke to KLM who said cost over phone was 17 fare difference.

Thoughts? Other than just pay it...
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by The doomed View Post
Thoughts? Other than just pay it...
Flex tickets have no change fee, but do require the fare difference to be collected, where the fare is higher.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Flex tickets have no change fee, but do require the fare difference to be collected, where the fare is higher.
Yes. And when I view list of available flights, I'm choosing one with 0 fare difference
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:21 am

Is it possible that while the fare of the leg you are changing is available on the alternative flight, you no longer meet the conditions for the fare of the return leg, and that one is being repriced?
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Current booking is 16:15, seeking to change to 08:00

Cost breakdown:

Final payment page:

Old Sep 2, 19, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Is it possible that while the fare of the leg you are changing is available on the alternative flight, you no longer meet the conditions for the fare of the return leg, and that one is being repriced?
May be possibly but I'd find that unlikely.
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd advise caution here.

I recently had a very tight (45 minute) connection in CDG on an AF J ticket. Bought while feeling brave, as it was the cheapest connection on the day I needed to travel, but then started to get a bit worried about how likely it would be to realise that connection, I later checked again how much it might be to change to an earlier flight into CDG. The AF website wanted €260, but the KLM website was happy to charge just the €70 change fee and no fare difference.

Great! I thought - €70 is acceptable for the peace of mind.

But the KLM website fell over every time, jumping back up to the €260 price also showed by the AF website.

I tried several times from several browsers over several days - always the same outcome. KL's €70 either fell into a black hole or came back looking for €260.

I gave up.

Several weeks later, a few weeks before travel, I got a new e-Ticket out of the blue. With my flight changed as I had desired.

How is this possible, I thought? But - I wasn't going to complain. Result!

But then, a few days later, a charge of €260.01 hit my account.

Cue LOTS of hassle trying to get the charge reversed. The first call via the AF Dutch number eventually routed me through to somewhere (the Phillippines?) where after a total of 30 minutes between explaining, holding, etc, the call dropped.

Eventually on the second or third such call, I got an assurance that the charge would be reversed, and a new e-Ticket, with the original flights and a "refund file reference" hit my inbox.

A month goes by, and no refund.

Given that the phone isn't such a great tool for getting money, I raise a regular web complaint, citing the refund reference.

A few weeks later, as I am in the middle of a medical, "KLM Voice Call" rings. They leave no message but send an email - they want my bank account details. Why not refund onto the card used?

I reply using the web interface, giving the details.

Two more weeks go by; I get an update from the system, saying that they are still waiting for my bank details. (This despite having added them to the ticket).

Ring the AF Dutch number again. Again, passed through myriad calls, before ending up in the Philippines (?) again. Spell out my IBAN in agonising detail.

Another week goes by. I get an email from "Air France Cargo" telling me that the refund - less the €0,01 ) has been refunded.

Still takes another week to get the money.

(To complete the story: my 45-minute connection became 14 minutes. And I made it!)
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
I'd advise caution here.

I recently had a very tight (45 minute) connection in CDG on an AF J ticket. Bought while feeling brave, as it was the cheapest connection on the day I needed to travel, but then started to get a bit worried about how likely it would be to realise that connection, I later checked again how much it might be to change to an earlier flight into CDG. The AF website wanted 260, but the KLM website was happy to charge just the 70 change fee and no fare difference.

Great! I thought - 70 is acceptable for the peace of mind.

But the KLM website fell over every time, jumping back up to the 260 price also showed by the AF website.

I tried several times from several browsers over several days - always the same outcome. KL's 70 either fell into a black hole or came back looking for 260.

I gave up.

Several weeks later, a few weeks before travel, I got a new e-Ticket out of the blue. With my flight changed as I had desired.

But then, a few days later, a charge of 260.01 hit my account.

Cue LOTS of hassle trying to get the charge reversed. The first call via the AF Dutch number eventually routed me through to somewhere (the Phillippines?) where after a total of 30 minutes between explaining, holding, etc, the call dropped.

Eventually on the second or third such call, I got an assurance that the charge would be reversed, and a new e-Ticket, with the original flights and a "refund file reference" hit my inbox.

Given that the phone isn't such a great tool for getting money, I raise a regular web complaint, citing the refund reference.

A few weeks later, as I am in the middle of a medical, "KLM Voice Call" rings. They leave no message but send an email - they want my bank account details. Why not refund onto the card used?

Two more weeks go by; I get an update from the system, saying that they are still waiting for my bank details. (This despite having added them to the ticket).

Ring the AF Dutch number again. Again, passed through myriad calls, before ending up in the Philippines (?) again. Spell out my IBAN in agonising detail.

Another week goes by. I get an email from "Air France Cargo" telling me that the refund - less the 0,01 ) has been refunded.

(To complete the story: my 45-minute connection became 14 minutes. And I made it!)
OMG
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I'd advise caution here.

I recently had a very tight (45 minute) connection in CDG on an AF J ticket. Bought while feeling brave, as it was the cheapest connection on the day I needed to travel, but then started to get a bit worried about how likely it would be to realise that connection, I later checked again how much it might be to change to an earlier flight into CDG. The AF website wanted 260, but the KLM website was happy to charge just the 70 change fee and no fare difference.

Great! I thought - 70 is acceptable for the peace of mind.

But the KLM website fell over every time, jumping back up to the 260 price also showed by the AF website.

I tried several times from several browsers over several days - always the same outcome. KL's 70 either fell into a black hole or came back looking for 260.

I gave up.

But then, a few days later, a charge of 260.01 hit my account.

Another week goes by. I get an email from "Air France Cargo" telling me that the refund - less the 0,01 ) has been refunded.

Ouch! How many FB mikes did you get for that complaint?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The doomed View Post
Ouch! How many FB mikes did you get for that complaint?
No mikes, no miles, but the experience left me with a fear of even looking at the price to change a flight in future.

They had no explanation as to why the system, seemingly autonomously and randomly, processed the flight change and charged my card, about 3 weeks after I had last queried the system for a change.

Perhaps it's not such a great idea to keep card numbers stored in your AF/KL account after all!
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 2, 19 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:27 pm

No mikes, no miles, but the experience left me with a fear of even looking at the price to change a flight in future.

They had no explanation as to why the system, seemingly autonomously and randomly, processed the flight change and charged my card, about 3 weeks after I had last queried the system for a change.

Perhaps it's not such a great idea to keep card numbers stored in your AF/KL account after all!
This! I keep online profiles, but don't enter payment methods. Yes, it takes about 90 seconds to fill in the fields every time, but I accept that inconvenience.
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:32 am

I have my card saved, but I think it still asks for the CVV when booking? At least it used to do that.
I quite often look at changing flights, I never had anything automatically done, even when I'm on a flexible ticket and there is no fare difference.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:10 am
q

What is 1 June 2020 ?
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by q View Post
What is 1 June 2020 ?
Whit Monday.

And the date the PNR is scheduled for deletion and can be re-used for a new booking. Commonly seen on Amadeus bookings that have been changed.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In retelling the story, I forgot that I'd received this in parallel with the new e-ticket.

It appears to be an invoice for collection of 70 - the fee that I had been quoted several times by the KL website, and which I would have been happy to pay - and despite the reference to my credit card number near the bottom (blacked out) I instead expected that I may have to pay this at check-in.

The shock of seeing a charge of 260.01, instead, caused me to forget about this invoice. Perhaps, on the strength of this invoice, I could have "forced" them to keep me on the changed flight for the stated 70 rather than the charged 260.01, but that never occurred to me.

And yes, despite the mails emanating from Amadeus, this booking was originally made directly with Air France on their website.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread