Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - Transit Security?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That implies that all arrivals from outside of Schengen require a security check on arrival at AMS. And that transit passengers may need "exit control" at AMS. That is incorrect.

The security check has nothing to do with Schengen. The vast majority of flights arriving at AMS are from trusted or "clean" origins - all of the Schengen countries, plus many others such as the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, UAE, Singapore, etc etc.

Only passengers arriving from the non-trusted origins - or passengers self-connecting from the low-cost pier to the "main" airport - would be forced to go through a security check while transiting at AMS. [Spot checks can occur on flights from any origin at any time, if deemed necessary by the authorities].

However, passengers transiting AMS and either arriving from non-Schengen and going to a Schengen destination, or arriving from a Schengen origina and going to a non-Schengen destination, will need to go through passport control.

Passengers transiting Schengen-to-Schengen, or non-Schengen to non-Schengen, won't need any passport checks.
No, it doesn't imply that.
It implies that while a Schengen arrival will never require security control (true), a non-Schengen arrival might (also true), and that while a Schengen to NS connection will include a passport check (true), a NS-NS connection will not involve passport check (true, except for the ID check)
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Somewhat related - if I arrive on a non-Schengen flight (from the US) with a Schengen connection - is it possible to stay in the non-Schengen area for a while, and then go through passport control to the Schengen area? How is this handled practically?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Somewhat related - if I arrive on a non-Schengen flight (from the US) with a Schengen connection - is it possible to stay in the non-Schengen area for a while, and then go through passport control to the Schengen area? How is this handled practically?
Yes you can stay in the non-schengen area for as long as you want, your US flights arrives directly to the terminal and you will not have to pass security.
Just make sure to get to immigration with plenty of time to spare as queues can be long at times.
tr3k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.