Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol security wait times

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Schiphol security wait times

Dear all - what's a reasonable current security wait time for someone departing from Schiphol (at the end of this month)?
I.e. - for someone with a long layover, who wants to go out to town - how long before the (Schengen, so no immigration, only security) flight should that person return to the airport?

Is there a priority line for *G for those flying LH/LX? (Sorry, I realize this is a KLM forum, but can't seem to find Schiphol forum for *A airlines)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
What time of day is the flight?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:10 am

Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag. Here's a handy link with current wait times plus there's a drop down menu for historic data.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today

​​​​​​The train to Centraal takes ~15 mins and runs roughly every 10mins assuming there's no maintenance on. Best to check that.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jeppo10
Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag.
At Schengen security you still need to take liquids out of your bag.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Carel1
At Schengen security you still need to take liquids out of your bag.
Not at the security point closest to the B-gates. I was there this Saturday and could leave liquids and my laptop in my bag.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Jeppo10
Schiphol is usually very quick at all times of the year (5-10mins) as they have decent staff and you don't need to take liquids etc out of your bag. Here's a handy link with current wait times plus there's a drop down menu for historic data.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today

​​​​​​The train to Centraal takes ~15 mins and runs roughly every 10mins assuming there's no maintenance on. Best to check that.
Sorry, but while the security situation isn't as bad as last year, or at FRA, I can't agree with you. It can take a long time if you arrive in peak time, and liquids out depends on the checkpoint.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Rambol
Not at the security point closest to the B-gates. I was there this Saturday and could leave liquids and my laptop in my bag.
Terminal 1A indeed has the new scanners, if you use T1 you still need to take liquids and electronics out.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. What are the usual peak times? How busy is the Christmas day there?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG PLAT
As a data point, I'll share my experience with leaving the airport during a long layover on Christmas day in 2018. My flight landed at around 06:30 and I was able to breeze through customs and be downtown by around 06:30.

After a nice visit downtown, I returned to the airport at around 11:00 that morning and was through the International SkyPriority security checkpoint within 5 minutes.
The doomed and tr3k like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drchrysler
My flight landed at around 06:30 and I was able to breeze through customs and be downtown by around 06:30.
Blimey, that is fast. ;-)

Last edited by mfkne; Dec 21, 2019 at 1:41 am
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Blimey, that is fast. ;-)
Teleportation, no doubt!

Johan
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tr3k
Thank you all. What are the usual peak times? How busy is the Christmas day there?
It all depends. As other posters indicated, security can be a nuisance at Schiphol at peak times. If your are like me ST Sky priority the worst I had was 15 minutes (which is too long for priority of course). When I am short on time, I plan arriving 1-1.15 in advance at security and never had any problem (also flying intercontinental - of course US with interviews can be a different thing). Most of the time this probably is ok too when you are not a prio. Like other posters said, watch this website with waiting times to get an idea if you face peak time.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Is there priority security for Star Alliance Gold members? If there is - where is the checkpoint located?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Is there priority security for Star Alliance Gold members? If there is - where is the checkpoint located?
There is no specific priority security for *G, you should be able to use any of the priority lanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.