First time in AMS!

Old Nov 21, 17, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
First time in AMS!

Hi everyone. Coming up next May my wife and I will be flying LAX-AMS-CPT in business class on KLM. I have never been to AMS and, after booking our tickets, I noticed we only have 1 hour to catch our flight to CPT. Is this enough time? Thanks in advance!

OPS
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes, enough time. Otherwise they would not sell you this connection .
Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 22, 17, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Totally fine. You'll have to disembark and walk to the gate, but no passport control is necessary. Perhaps just about enough time to grab a McKroket, the weird local treat!
Old Nov 22, 17, 2:22 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
I've had connections that have been 40 minutes and still made the gate for my next flight comfortably and that's from Schengen to Non Schengen.
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! What's a McKroket???
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:25 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
https://www.mcdonalds.nl/producten/b...ggets/mckroket
Old Nov 22, 17, 6:59 pm

Certainly off-topic, but I couldn't help it: It is amazing to see how large corporations and their different coutry branches spend lots of $$$ to design food that can only be described as assault to good taste. Even more amazing, that cr.p is eaten by millions of people.
Old Nov 23, 17, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Hi everyone. Coming up next May my wife and I will be flying LAX-AMS-CPT in business class on KLM. I have never been to AMS and, after booking our tickets, I noticed we only have 1 hour to catch our flight to CPT. Is this enough time? Thanks in advance!

OPS
Personally, I would never buy a 1hr transfer between two longhaul flights at any airport with any airline. The risk is just too significant in case of delay of the first longhaul.
I assume that you are booked on KL602 from LAX; in May you only have 55min transfer and KL is not selling that connection (less than an hour).
Old Nov 23, 17, 2:31 am

It's only risky in the sense that any rerouting means arriving the next morning at the earliest, that might or might not be a concern for the OP
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I assume that you are booked on KL602 from LAX; in May you only have 55min transfer and KL is not selling that connection (less than an hour).
This is a very salient point; it does appear that the only single-stop connection KLM sells on the LAX-CPT route for May of next year is a 43h30 long ticket, including an overnight layover of 21h 45min in Amsterdam.

Could the OP perhaps clarify the ticket they are holding? Are they flying directly from LAX to AMS, and is the AMS-CPT booked on a separate ticket? If so - I would be very, very worried about travelling in this manner.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 23, 17, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
It's only risky in the sense that any rerouting means arriving the next morning at the earliest, that might or might not be a concern for the OP
Sure, it is not the risk of a plane crash.
All the OP is asking is about how risky the connection is.
If the OP has no concern about being stranded for a day in AMS (single KL flight to CPT), or the stress of being rerouted via LHR (assuming KL propose it) and arrive over 12 hours late after spending some two days in planes and airport, then this is not risky indeed.
Old Nov 23, 17, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Sure, it is not the risk of a plane crash.
All the OP is asking is about how risky the connection is.
If the OP has no concern about being stranded for a day in AMS (single KL flight to CPT), or the stress of being rerouted via LHR (assuming KL propose it) and arrive over 12 hours late after spending some two days in planes and airport, then this is not risky indeed.
There are a few rerouting options (LHR/MUC/ZRH) that allows early morning arrival, and I'm pretty sure KL will oblige if OP insists, so unless he must be in CPT for the night, the alternatives are not too bad
Old Nov 23, 17, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

The ticket was purchased through a DL Diamond agent via phone using GUC's. Not sure if legal connection times differ between DL and KLM but that's what the agent on the phone sold me. So I guess that would make it DL coded and KLM operated, correct? Regardless, it's vacation and we are a little flexible. However, that being said, we would rather not have to spend the day in Amsterdam (although if we had to get stuck somewhere I've heard AMS doesn't suck).

OPS
Old Nov 23, 17, 2:40 pm

Minimum connection time for intercontinental is 50 minutes at Amsterdam/KLM..

So, no worries...
Old Nov 24, 17, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EvD86 View Post
Minimum connection time for intercontinental is 50 minutes at Amsterdam/KLM..

So, no worries...
50 might be MCT but that does not mean that you should not worry about missing connection.
And KLM is not selling that connection LAX-AMS-CPT anymore. Maybe they are risk averse?

I can understand that they might reroute you via LHR if flight LK602 is delayed. But means departing LAX at 13:45 local time on day t (say leave home 3 hours earlier). Then getting in CPT at 10:00 local time on day t+2 (say arriving hotel at 11:30), In the meanwhile enjoying 4 different airports, over 40 hours of travel and two nights in a plane. Even in J, I would not wish it. Best choice might be spending a day in AMS. Could be worse.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: