FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   First time in AMS! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1878841-first-time-ams.html)

mattya9 Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

First time in AMS!

Hi everyone. Coming up next May my wife and I will be flying LAX-AMS-CPT in business class on KLM. I have never been to AMS and, after booking our tickets, I noticed we only have 1 hour to catch our flight to CPT. Is this enough time? Thanks in advance!

OPS

Goldorak Nov 22, 2017 12:04 am

Yes, enough time. Otherwise they would not sell you this connection ;).
Enjoy your trip.

caliform Nov 22, 2017 1:04 am

Totally fine. You'll have to disembark and walk to the gate, but no passport control is necessary. Perhaps just about enough time to grab a McKroket, the weird local treat! ;)

shotb83 Nov 22, 2017 2:22 am

I've had connections that have been 40 minutes and still made the gate for my next flight comfortably and that's from Schengen to Non Schengen.

mattya9 Nov 22, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks everyone! What's a McKroket???

Fabo.sk Nov 22, 2017 8:25 am

https://www.mcdonalds.nl/producten/b...ggets/mckroket

KLouis Nov 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 29089275)

Certainly off-topic, but I couldn't help it: It is amazing to see how large corporations and their different coutry branches spend lots of $$$ to design food that can only be described as assault to good taste. Even more amazing, that cr.p is eaten by millions of people.

brunos Nov 23, 2017 2:07 am

Originally Posted by mattya9 (Post 29088011)
Hi everyone. Coming up next May my wife and I will be flying LAX-AMS-CPT in business class on KLM. I have never been to AMS and, after booking our tickets, I noticed we only have 1 hour to catch our flight to CPT. Is this enough time? Thanks in advance!

OPS

Personally, I would never buy a 1hr transfer between two longhaul flights at any airport with any airline. The risk is just too significant in case of delay of the first longhaul.
I assume that you are booked on KL602 from LAX; in May you only have 55min transfer and KL is not selling that connection (less than an hour).

Ditto Nov 23, 2017 2:31 am

It's only risky in the sense that any rerouting means arriving the next morning at the earliest, that might or might not be a concern for the OP

irishguy28 Nov 23, 2017 3:00 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29092028)
I assume that you are booked on KL602 from LAX; in May you only have 55min transfer and KL is not selling that connection (less than an hour).

This is a very salient point; it does appear that the only single-stop connection KLM sells on the LAX-CPT route for May of next year is a 43h30 long ticket, including an overnight layover of 21h 45min in Amsterdam.

Could the OP perhaps clarify the ticket they are holding? Are they flying directly from LAX to AMS, and is the AMS-CPT booked on a separate ticket? If so - I would be very, very worried about travelling in this manner.

brunos Nov 23, 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 29092059)
It's only risky in the sense that any rerouting means arriving the next morning at the earliest, that might or might not be a concern for the OP

Sure, it is not the risk of a plane crash.
All the OP is asking is about how risky the connection is.
If the OP has no concern about being stranded for a day in AMS (single KL flight to CPT), or the stress of being rerouted via LHR (assuming KL propose it) and arrive over 12 hours late after spending some two days in planes and airport, then this is not risky indeed.

Ditto Nov 23, 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 29092450)
Sure, it is not the risk of a plane crash.
All the OP is asking is about how risky the connection is.
If the OP has no concern about being stranded for a day in AMS (single KL flight to CPT), or the stress of being rerouted via LHR (assuming KL propose it) and arrive over 12 hours late after spending some two days in planes and airport, then this is not risky indeed.

There are a few rerouting options (LHR/MUC/ZRH) that allows early morning arrival, and I'm pretty sure KL will oblige if OP insists, so unless he must be in CPT for the night, the alternatives are not too bad ;)

mattya9 Nov 23, 2017 1:43 pm

The ticket was purchased through a DL Diamond agent via phone using GUC's. Not sure if legal connection times differ between DL and KLM but that's what the agent on the phone sold me. So I guess that would make it DL coded and KLM operated, correct? Regardless, it's vacation and we are a little flexible. However, that being said, we would rather not have to spend the day in Amsterdam (although if we had to get stuck somewhere I've heard AMS doesn't suck:D).

OPS

EvD86 Nov 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Minimum connection time for intercontinental is 50 minutes at Amsterdam/KLM..

So, no worries...

brunos Nov 24, 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by EvD86 (Post 29093713)
Minimum connection time for intercontinental is 50 minutes at Amsterdam/KLM..

So, no worries...

50 might be MCT but that does not mean that you should not worry about missing connection.
And KLM is not selling that connection LAX-AMS-CPT anymore. Maybe they are risk averse?

I can understand that they might reroute you via LHR if flight LK602 is delayed. But means departing LAX at 13:45 local time on day t (say leave home 3 hours earlier). Then getting in CPT at 10:00 local time on day t+2 (say arriving hotel at 11:30), In the meanwhile enjoying 4 different airports, over 40 hours of travel and two nights in a plane. Even in J, I would not wish it. Best choice might be spending a day in AMS. Could be worse.