"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Reply

Old Dec 20, 18, 12:57 pm
  #61  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 1,276
I actually go to the McDonald's to get a quick bite instead of the lounge, heh heh. Gotta get that last minute kroket in before I go kroket-less for a month or two...
Carel1 likes this.
caliform is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 18, 4:23 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YVR, YYC, SEA, AMS, ORK
Programs: AS, FB, SPG, MR
Posts: 321
It was packed full when I was there last week. There are some nice design flourishes but overall I felt it was too over-designed with a lot of impractical aspects, unusable taps in the bathrooms, illegible signage, poor location of the flight board, poor entrance layout etc.

The worst example was just getting a simple glass of water. I wandered around the food and drinks area for a few minutes trying to find water. I eventually had to stop a member of staff to ask. They pointed me to a beer like tap with two spouts that was completely unlabeled. I was informed that one was still and the other sparkling. On doing so at least a dozen other pax turned around and made a beeline for the taps, they had all been in the same boat so to speak. That is an ultimate design and user experience fail. When I said to the staff member that they should probably label them he rolled his eyes. Again nice but extremely impractical design.

I donít think the lounge is going to wear well, too many unique aspects which will be costly to maintain.
majik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 18, 3:54 am
  #63  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,119
Originally Posted by majik View Post
It was packed full when I was there last week. There are some nice design flourishes but overall I felt it was too over-designed with a lot of impractical aspects, unusable taps in the bathrooms.
That kind of thing is common everywhere where (perceived) esthetics trump utility.

I've struggled to wash my hands in any number of fancy marble washbasins with shiny designer faucets over the years. Glitzy hotels, lounges, restaurants, airports, you name it. The worst are the ones where some bright spark has come up with the idea of replacing the faucet with a miniature fountain or waterfall.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:50 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 50
I took the liberty of taking a few more pictures of the new AMS lounge 52 today, including a few of the lockers (which are back!). The restrooms are disappointing though.














Zembla and Goldorak like this.
roelb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 18, 8:33 am
  #65  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 4,627
I'm at the lounge now. The stairs that are in most pictures are not the main ones, there are also standard escalators to take you between levels. So no need to lug bagage over impractical stairs.

The food at the top level is basically like it used to be - salad components, hummus and cold tuna pasta. Downstairs it has some more dishes, like rice with sauce and some soups.

The worst though, regarding food, are the plates and cutlery. Paper plates and wooden forks/knives? Are they kidding?

Overall the atyle/ambiance is quite nice, but the seating is not very comfortable and the food is pretty much the same. Just the presentation has improved.
Xandrios is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 18, 11:36 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Amsterdam&Stuttgart& Edinburgh
Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Posts: 342
I was in it last week, am now in lounge 28. I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed in 52. The food tasted better than my last visit (in that some salt and pepper were used) The worst bit was the smoking area, a 20sqm room with a sort of metal table with a slot for ash and butts, no seating and littered with dirty glasses.
Think I'll use this lounge in future if I can
ninjalad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:13 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YVR, YYC, SEA, AMS, ORK
Programs: AS, FB, SPG, MR
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
That kind of thing is common everywhere where (perceived) esthetics trump utility.

I've struggled to wash my hands in any number of fancy marble washbasins with shiny designer faucets over the years. Glitzy hotels, lounges, restaurants, airports, you name it. The worst are the ones where some bright spark has come up with the idea of replacing the faucet with a miniature fountain or waterfall.

Johan
I just expected so much more functionality from a nation of engineers.
majik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:46 am
  #68  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 236
One thing I dont understand with the new lounge is the food...I have had the same "Beef gulasch" 3 times now. They have built a full restaurant kitchen inside with a €30 000 oven (Im in the catering industry) and have a chef working there...but they just let him serve a prepared stew with rice? What? Is there more development to come or what?
criced is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:16 pm
  #69  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,119
I assume they are still serving the usual Sodexho gloop, delivered in 4-gallon cans and reheated before serving.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:46 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Gold | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
I assume they are still serving the usual Sodexho gloop, delivered in 4-gallon cans and reheated before serving.

Johan
Assumed wrong, catering changed to Vermaat.

Originally Posted by criced View Post
One thing I dont understand with the new lounge is the food...I have had the same "Beef gulasch" 3 times now. They have built a full restaurant kitchen inside with a €30 000 oven (Im in the catering industry) and have a chef working there...but they just let him serve a prepared stew with rice? What? Is there more development to come or what?
There is a chef because at a later stage they will have a la carte dining.
glennhaak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:56 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 35
My verdict on the new lounge - https://europeantransit.wordpress.com/2019/02/04/aviation-inside-klms-new-amsterdam-lounge/
George Moore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:56 am
  #72  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,119
Originally Posted by glennhaak View Post
There is a chef because at a later stage they will have a la carte dining.
And he is already there at this early stage so he can perfect his skills stirring and reheating Vermaat gloop?

Johan
criced likes this.
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:48 am
  #73  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 236
Make the chef to a real chef��
criced is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 2:01 pm
  #74  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 1,276
Pardon me Johan, that's a la carte gloop.
caliform is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:10 am
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,119
So six courses of gloop?

Eeks!

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: