Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I actually go to the McDonald's to get a quick bite instead of the lounge, heh heh. Gotta get that last minute kroket in before I go kroket-less for a month or two...
Carel1 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
It was packed full when I was there last week. There are some nice design flourishes but overall I felt it was too over-designed with a lot of impractical aspects, unusable taps in the bathrooms, illegible signage, poor location of the flight board, poor entrance layout etc.

The worst example was just getting a simple glass of water. I wandered around the food and drinks area for a few minutes trying to find water. I eventually had to stop a member of staff to ask. They pointed me to a beer like tap with two spouts that was completely unlabeled. I was informed that one was still and the other sparkling. On doing so at least a dozen other pax turned around and made a beeline for the taps, they had all been in the same boat so to speak. That is an ultimate design and user experience fail. When I said to the staff member that they should probably label them he rolled his eyes. Again nice but extremely impractical design.

I don’t think the lounge is going to wear well, too many unique aspects which will be costly to maintain.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majik
It was packed full when I was there last week. There are some nice design flourishes but overall I felt it was too over-designed with a lot of impractical aspects, unusable taps in the bathrooms.
That kind of thing is common everywhere where (perceived) esthetics trump utility.

I've struggled to wash my hands in any number of fancy marble washbasins with shiny designer faucets over the years. Glitzy hotels, lounges, restaurants, airports, you name it. The worst are the ones where some bright spark has come up with the idea of replacing the faucet with a miniature fountain or waterfall.

Johan
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
I took the liberty of taking a few more pictures of the new AMS lounge 52 today, including a few of the lockers (which are back!). The restrooms are disappointing though.

Zembla and Goldorak like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm at the lounge now. The stairs that are in most pictures are not the main ones, there are also standard escalators to take you between levels. So no need to lug bagage over impractical stairs.

The food at the top level is basically like it used to be - salad components, hummus and cold tuna pasta. Downstairs it has some more dishes, like rice with sauce and some soups.

The worst though, regarding food, are the plates and cutlery. Paper plates and wooden forks/knives? Are they kidding?

Overall the atyle/ambiance is quite nice, but the seating is not very comfortable and the food is pretty much the same. Just the presentation has improved.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I was in it last week, am now in lounge 28. I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed in 52. The food tasted better than my last visit (in that some salt and pepper were used) The worst bit was the smoking area, a 20sqm room with a sort of metal table with a slot for ash and butts, no seating and littered with dirty glasses.
Think I'll use this lounge in future if I can
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That kind of thing is common everywhere where (perceived) esthetics trump utility.

I've struggled to wash my hands in any number of fancy marble washbasins with shiny designer faucets over the years. Glitzy hotels, lounges, restaurants, airports, you name it. The worst are the ones where some bright spark has come up with the idea of replacing the faucet with a miniature fountain or waterfall.

Johan
I just expected so much more functionality from a nation of engineers.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:46 am

One thing I dont understand with the new lounge is the food...I have had the same "Beef gulasch" 3 times now. They have built a full restaurant kitchen inside with a €30 000 oven (Im in the catering industry) and have a chef working there...but they just let him serve a prepared stew with rice? What? Is there more development to come or what?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume they are still serving the usual Sodexho gloop, delivered in 4-gallon cans and reheated before serving.

Johan
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I assume they are still serving the usual Sodexho gloop, delivered in 4-gallon cans and reheated before serving.

Johan
Assumed wrong, catering changed to Vermaat.

Originally Posted by criced
One thing I dont understand with the new lounge is the food...I have had the same "Beef gulasch" 3 times now. They have built a full restaurant kitchen inside with a €30 000 oven (Im in the catering industry) and have a chef working there...but they just let him serve a prepared stew with rice? What? Is there more development to come or what?
There is a chef because at a later stage they will have a la carte dining.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
My verdict on the new lounge - https://europeantransit.wordpress.com/2019/02/04/aviation-inside-klms-new-amsterdam-lounge/
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak
There is a chef because at a later stage they will have a la carte dining.
And he is already there at this early stage so he can perfect his skills stirring and reheating Vermaat gloop?

Johan
criced likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Make the chef to a real chef��
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Pardon me Johan, that's a la carte gloop.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So six courses of gloop?

Eeks!

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.