Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be making up for lost time.

There are usually at least three of them hanging around by the exit, yet the I don't see them inspecting luggage more than about once a year or so.

Johan
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would have agreed, but in recent times I have seen more activity at the customs checkpoints when passing through.

Last Sunday evening, there even appeared to be "plain clothes" officers conducting a search as I returned via AMS. I have never before seen anyone at AMS that appeared to be a douanier that wasn't wearing a uniform. And there were several uniformed colleagues doing the usual "three hanging around by the exit" routine while the search was ongoing nearby.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Often there are 'plain clothes' officers around. They are dressed like a tourist, sometimes even with the small backpack to complete the picture. They wait at the luggage belt and listen to the waiting travelers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje
Often there are 'plain clothes' officers around. They are dressed like a tourist, sometimes even with the small backpack to complete the picture. They wait at the luggage belt and listen to the waiting travelers.
Don't they stand out when you see they are still there after ten minutes of queuing?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Don't they stand out when you see they are still there after ten minutes of queuing?
Most pax have to wait much longer than 10 minutes for their luggage! And when your luggage arrives, most people leave. Anyone else waiting will just assume they are still waiting for their bags, too!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje
They wait at the luggage belt and listen to the waiting travelers.
And these waiting travelers while away the time bragging loudly to everyone within hearing about the vast quantities of drugs, ivory, live turtles and talking parrots craftily concealed in their bags?

If these under cover officers really earn their keep, then one must assume that there are plenty of dumb smugglers around.

Johan
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More than somewhat to my surprise, I sailed through Schengen security in the shortest time possible this afternoon, on what looked like a very busy day at Schiphol.

Johan
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
More than somewhat to my surprise, I sailed through Schengen security in the shortest time possible this afternoon, on what looked like a very busy day at Schiphol.

Johan
Clearly, Sir, you weren't bragging to your pals!

-- H
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

I thought centralized security works pretty well. The baggage belts are very fancy.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I thought centralized security works pretty well. The baggage belts are very fancy.
But the body scanners are a pain in the behind, if not in the whole body.

I have a 100% guarantee of a pat-down, even yesterday in bermudas and a polo, with not a shred of metal in my clothing.

Johan
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Then why don't you save yourself some time and opt out anyway?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
with not a shred of metal in my clothing.
These don't check for metal though. Or at least not only.

Recently I had a paper BP in my pocket. That never bothered the old detectors but this time the guy just straight up told me that I still have something in my left pocket. So if they can detect a paper BP, I guess any piece of clothing that doesn't match their pre-defined patterns will set off the alarms..

On the other hand, one of the advantages is that metal doesn't need to be removed. So there is no need to remove your belt if you're wearing any - which I always find a pain.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Then why don't you save yourself some time and opt out anyway?
What would be the correct Dutch term to say you're opting out?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
"Ik wil graag een handmatige controle". That's what I always tell them. When you intend to ask for that, you can already take off your shoes and send them through the x-ray because they will ask you to anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:46 am
Suspended

But the body scanners are a pain in the behind, if not in the whole body.

I have a 100% guarantee of a pat-down, even yesterday in bermudas and a polo, with not a shred of metal in my clothing.

Johan
Yes, that is very strange. What's the point of having those scanners if you get patted-down anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.