Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Schiphol featured in a short report on yesterday's Nieuwsuur (http://nos.nl/uitzending/6191-nieuwsuur.html, starts at 6:10) and it's pretty clear they made damn sure that all security lanes were open at that time because there is nobody standing there at all.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grouchy
At the current situation passport control (for non privium pax) will be certainly a bottleneck when it's getting busy.
Why's that?

Are there fewer KMar checkpoints than before, is it a staffing problem, or is poorly designed infrastructure the issue?

Why on earth they can't provide a dedicated Privium checkpoint is beyond my comprehension. Even if they were to feed it a trickle other priority pax at busy times, they would still be giving their paying customers something for their money. Automated passport checkpoints are already undermining their business case, by abolishing the dedicated checkpoints they simply digging their own grave at a faster pace.

Johan
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Schiphol apologized, sort of, in a page large advertisement in the Metro newspaper this morning.

Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Schiphol apologized, sort of
A very oblique apology indeed!

Schiphol "wil de beste zijn"?

Here's an idea: stop screwing around your most frequent passengers who are paying a substantial annual fee for priority services. Yes, that's Privium I'm talking about!

Johan
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
During my today's transit in AMS I checked the lines from airside and looked very decent with all security stations manned. Passport control with a 30m queue with no e-passport lines open.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Were the automated kiosks opened? Which Departure Hall?
Negative, no automatic kiosk operational & I-Sec territory: Departure 2. Also did hear that on Sunday they moved G4S employees from 3 to 2 to assist I-Sec @departure 2?
1st world problem: Lady guarding priority access at the ground floor decided that a Diamond medailon didn't have access. C'mon Schiphol is 60-70%? transfer pax and certainly not everyone is a KLM FB plat or gold. Privium got me in though....

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Why's that?

Are there fewer KMar checkpoints than before, is it a staffing problem, or is poorly designed infrastructure the issue?

Why on earth they can't provide a dedicated Privium checkpoint is beyond my comprehension. Even if they were to feed it a trickle other priority pax at busy times, they would still be giving their paying customers something for their money. Automated passport checkpoints are already undermining their business case, by abolishing the dedicated checkpoints they simply digging their own grave at a faster pace.

Johan
2 KMar staff at each checkpoint: Observed at departure hall 2 and also 2 at the Non-Schengen -Schengen transfer checkpoint. All automatic passport control checkpoints inoperational. Especially the transfer checkpoint was bad. It was not particular busy but all the (longer) lines were at passport control checkpoints.

They at least could follow the same setup as used @ Departure hall 1 were at least Priviums have their own lane instead of dumping every priority pax at the same waiting area. Still a lot WIP though....

Originally Posted by ajs123
During my today's transit in AMS I checked the lines from airside and looked very decent with all security stations manned. Passport control with a 30m queue with no e-passport lines open.
Hopefully the e-passport checkpoints will be operational soon, easy solution to get rid of the lines. However they had them for some time when you arrive and they never seem to be operational when i arrived.

Last edited by Grouchy; Jun 9, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Schiphol apologized, sort of, in a page large advertisement in the Metro newspaper this morning.
The ad appeared on page 5.

Did you also notice the article on page 3: "Verstoringen en lange wachtrijen plagen Schiphol"?

"Schiphol spreekt van "ongewone drukte" ... en weigert de problemen af te schuiven op het nieuwe controlesystem. "

Schiphol won't acknowledge that the problems are due to the new security setup, claiming the airport was "unexpectedly busy".

Tens of thousands of last minute bookings, no doubt!

Johan
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Tens of thousands of last minute bookings, no doubt!
All those people that wanted to go through the new security twice. ;-)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
All those people that wanted to go through the new security twice. ;-)
This new attraction may well prove so popular that they will have to start charging admission.

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
This new attraction may well prove so popular that they will have to start charging admission.

Johan
Don't give them any ideas!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why have the installed so many e-Passport readers if they're never in use?

It is so frustrating!!!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the million-dollar question.

Sure beats me.

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yep, and the excuses they are making up are beyond lame:

"Het is niet zeker dat de drukte met de nieuwe manier van passagierscontrole te maken heeft. "Afgelopen week was het er ook extra druk, maar later bleek dat dat met de treinen te maken had. Daardoor stonden ineens veel passagiers tegelijk voor de controle", aldus de woordvoerder.

Ook in de aankomsthallen was het druk. Volgens Schiphol was daar geen specifieke oorzaak voor aan te geven. "Dat kan soms gebeuren als er veel vliegtuigen tegelijk aan komen."
"

In English: The problems are not necessarily due to the new security procedures. Last week was very busy too, but that was caused by the railroads. The long lines at arrivals were not due to any specific cause, this just sometimes happens when many aircraft arrive simultaneously.

What a bunch of totally incompetent and lying morons!

Johan
Indeed the airport and government are being deceptive.

It's the centralization that has created these massive fail choke point lines.

And automated epassport reading gates are not the solution to solving all the issues which were created by the additional government paranoia about passengers leading to a push for more centralization and a switch to increased passport scanning of EU/EEA passport users.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And automated epassport reading gates are not the solution to solving all the issues which were created by the additional government paranoia about passengers leading to a push for more centralization and a switch to increased passport scanning of EU/EEA passport users.
Sorry?

By definition, the e-passport readers scan ALL passports presented - that's how they work.

So, by funnelling EU/EEA passport holders via the e-passport gates, then they INCREASE the number of such passports scanned. So, if they want increased passport scanning - then they should be making all EU/EEA passport holders use such gates - NOT installing them and rarely/never using them.

(In almost all cases where I queue up to present my passport to the Marechaussee, in the EU/EEA passport lines, they don't always scan the passport. And they certainly don't need to have a KMar agent scan the passport - the epassport gates makes every passport holder do the scanning for them!)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Sorry?

By definition, the e-passport readers scan ALL passports presented - that's how they work.
I know how these things work (and how they don't work, too well for some).

An AMS passport control checker looking at the EU/EEA+ passport photo and passenger was a generally faster clearing process than is the case when scanning passports at an e-passport reader and matching person to photo -- whether the passports are self-scanned at an epassport checking gate or not, the (time-eating) relationship is in the same direction -- is part of the process.

The official paranoia about positive and negative match fail rates for manual photo-face matching, and the paranoia about non-visitors and visitors alike, has come with a push for more, slower checks -- including checks reliant upon more technology at EU/Schengen airports and elsewhere in the EU/schengen countries. That has slowed things down on the front and back end. Don't you recall how it used to be frequently the case that AMS passport control would look at the cover of the passport and then simply clear the citizen or stamp the visitor's passport without even caring to examine the biodata passport info? And scanning machine use wasn't even common for EU/EEA passport users; and scanning wasn't even certain for US or Canadian passport users at AMS passport control.

Automation regularizes outcomes in the main, opens a potential window for new, larger systemic fail opportunities, and does some other things good and bad; but automation doesn't necessarily mean that it results in time savings for passengers over other options that were previously in use.

Outsourcing scanning to passengers isn't always a faster thing than leaving it In the hands of professionals or keeping the user base relatively more narrow. Look at how APC kiosk use time in the U.S. has gotten worse since the self-scanning was expanded to non-US/non-Canadians. People don't always realize (or want to acknowledge) that the way people, processes/policies/practices and technology interact means that a self-service automation tool is not guaranteed to come with reduced processing times over what was the case at some earlier period.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 10, 2015 at 4:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.