Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by scotcat
What I have not seen (no surprise on my side at all here) is any reduction in lowest fare.
Indeed, but they did not say that they were going to reduce fares as a result of this. Their only concession to the change was to increase the number of destinations offered at €99 (to 30).

Prijsverlaging Europese bestemmingen
Voor retourvluchten naar nog meer Europese bestemmingen worden de instaptarieven verlaagd naar EUR 99. Daarmee breiden wij het aanbod van Europese bestemmingen voor EUR 99 uit naar ruim 30.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
Thught I would share something interesting. Have an upcoming flight to London this weekend, and when I checked my booking today, it is saying I can have 3 pieces check in baggage (!!) flying economy with gold. Of course must be something wrong with the system again.

(Nothing edited except name and did not buy any additional baggage)
Old May 14, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Indeed!!!

And it's the case for ALL of my bookings now!

Last edited by irishguy28; May 14, 2013 at 6:07 am
Old May 14, 2013, 6:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
For me too - however only for KLM flights. AF and AZ flights show 2 bags allowance.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by davedior
Thught I would share something interesting. Have an upcoming flight to London this weekend, and when I checked my booking today, it is saying I can have 3 pieces check in baggage (!!) flying economy with gold. Of course must be something wrong with the system again.

(Nothing edited except name and did not buy any additional baggage)
I noticed the same for an intercontinental flight I just booked for mid-June and I will have 3 pieces. Printed the info out, I may take the risk and not buy the 3rd checked luggage on line with the 20% discount and present the printout when checking in the 3 pieces.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:43 am

Just out of curiosity: How does one carry three pieces of luggage (plus hand luggage?) to the airport, through the terminal and so on? Whenever I try to move with only two rollaboard suitcases I get into serious trouble.. :P
Old May 14, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
That is always a pleasure to watch. I take a train which rides via Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol every morning, and at A'dam Centraal all the tourists get on on their way home. I'm always surprised by the sheer ineptitude of people to handle their bags, and most surprisingly it's usually those who have the most humongous ones who fail miserably.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Just out of curiosity: How does one carry three pieces of luggage (plus hand luggage?) to the airport, through the terminal and so on? Whenever I try to move with only two rollaboard suitcases I get into serious trouble.. :P
two suitcases are easy to transport, I do that (almost) all the time. Two suitcases and up to three pieces of carry on luggage is doable as well, but using a cart always makes life easier
Old May 14, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: FB-LTPE
When you move from one to another continent and it takes 5-6 weeks for your household shipment to arrive, you take as much as you can on the flight .....
Old May 27, 2013, 3:24 am

Thats one of the checkin machines at AMS. So the issue is not actually limited to the website. If anybody likes to actually (ab) use this opportunity, try to do check in using the machines and tag the bags yourself. The (non skypriority) area at AMS will allow you to do everything yourself, no questions asked.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
That puzzles me too... But for some reason some people (and especially from certain geograpically regions without offending anyone) manage to bring more stuff that what I actually own of material goods with them when going to the airport.

lastly when arriving at SFO I declered food stuff I was unsure if I could actually bring or not and there was a family from one of the regions mentioned above (5 people) who had so much luggage with them that the customs officials needed to call in extra employees to help load the xray machine.

I m not going to get into what happened next on the other side of the xray machine but chaos did not even get close in describing what happened...
Old May 27, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.

Thats one of the checkin machines at AMS. So the issue is not actually limited to the website. If anybody likes to actually (ab) use this opportunity, try to do check in using the machines and tag the bags yourself. The (non skypriority) area at AMS will allow you to do everything yourself, no questions asked.
What a shame that you are not able to click on the minus, and watch the free allowance go from 3 to 2 to 1, whilst the EUR amount increases from 0 to 15 to 30.

Hit the big red button.

Ching Ching Ching, payout in EUR coins for maximum effect.

Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I just booked an inter EU flight and it shows 2 checked in bags allowance, due to status. Have they reversed the one bag for all rule?
It seems like there will only be one row of EC seats on the flight, AMS-EDI another reversal?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Indeed 2 free luggage for Elites.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to an article in the latest issue of VNC Magazine, only 10% of pax end up having to pay for a bag.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.