Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM wants fully flat beds in business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Seems that after many years of product erosion some things are actually being improved.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I was under the impression that KL and AF are supposed to develop their inflight experience themselves, just like the food offerings are different between the two as well. So I doubt (hope) AF will not be involved in this.
Not only the wines will be better than on AF, but the way things look for the future also the seats will be better

Last edited by Zembla; Feb 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Shiny ones
Aisle access trumps lie flat

Lie (completely) flat seat are great, as well as old news now on the leading airlines. But even more important to me is easy access to the aisle - it seems ridiculous in business class to have to squeeze out/over people when the seats are in the reclined position. The various NEV seats are terrible for this. At least the Swiss, Delta and even herringbone layouts are great for easy aisle access. The BA Club World seats can still be a bit of pain if you have a window seat and are trying to step over the footstool end to get out... So I hope KLM just copies something like the Delta seat in the 767-400.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I hope KLM goes the Swiss route. Seems the best of all worlds, avoiding the problems of aisle access inherent to the BA layout, while still allowing some kind of density (albeit less than now). I hope they don't do what Singapore did... simply having a wide seat means nothing (unless your BMI is above 35). KLM could also score some points with good technology, such as being able to plug in an iPod to watch one's own movies etc.

Wouldn't AF exercising a veto over this plan by KLM by like shooting themselves in the foot? While the arguments that KLM may end up cannibalizing the AF market, does it really matter? The money ends up in the same holding company in the end anyway. Better to be cannibalized by one's own, than by the true competition. Right?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
KLM will market the seats they installed in the 773 as fully flat.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TechnoOenology
Lie (completely) flat seat are great, as well as old news now on the leading airlines. But even more important to me is easy access to the aisle - it seems ridiculous in business class to have to squeeze out/over people when the seats are in the reclined position. The various NEV seats are terrible for this.
As someone who is agile I have no problem with BA's configuration or any other. But I agree of course that people who are not that agile may have difficulties. I always figured that airlines like BA were able to arrange that people like this were in aisle seats.

Personally I don't care. Flat is flat and I will give KL a big hug and kiss if they can give us 180 degree flat seats that we can sleep in.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
It would be too cool to be true. I will only believe it when I see the flat beds.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Any updates?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
No real update other than to say that it was confirmed to me by a senior purser on a recent KL flight.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:38 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by MichielR
No real update other than to say that it was confirmed to me by a senior purser on a recent KL flight.
It was also pointed out to us during the meeting with AF/FB staff in April.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
It was also in luchtvaartnieuws.nl that KLM has chosen a seat and is currently working out the details.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
You really have to hope that there is no interference from on high on this one, but i cannot see the AF chiefs being too happy that their apparently inferior brother is providing a superior product. The fact that KLM has always had the edge (IMHO) will be lost on them and the positive approach of 'we are crap, therefore they have to be at least as bad' will no doubt prevail.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by chunk73
You really have to hope that there is no interference from on high on this one, but i cannot see the AF chiefs being too happy that their apparently inferior brother is providing a superior product. The fact that KLM has always had the edge (IMHO) will be lost on them and the positive approach of 'we are crap, therefore they have to be at least as bad' will no doubt prevail.
First of all, AF senior management only cares about money. So no worries about interference as long as the KL business unit is reasonably profitable. Secondly, while AF was the better airline, KL has recently passed AF in business class food and service. There was no interference there so I don't expect there to be any interference with seats. And as money rules, and KL has likely already invested and committed a lot of money to the new seats, I really doubt AF would stop it. Third, KL doesn't have a First class so AF can always be superior in that respect.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stimpy
First of all, AF senior management only cares about money. So no worries about interference as long as the KL business unit is reasonably profitable. Secondly, while AF was the better airline, KL has recently passed AF in business class food and service. There was no interference there so I don't expect there to be any interference with seats. And as money rules, and KL has likely already invested and committed a lot of money to the new seats, I really doubt AF would stop it. Third, KL doesn't have a First class so AF can always be superior in that respect.
Generally agree. One additional point is that I have heard that KL is keen start replacing the business class seats swiftly, so I am confident that they will stick to their choice and organise a most welcome update. I agree with stimpy that by and large the KLM J product is now marginally better than AF and that this will be extremely cut clear once the new fully flat seat is implemented.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 7, 2011 at 5:38 am
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
Hah, fair enough. Would be nice if KL unilaterally also removed the 10 abreast from the 77W's in Economy as well but I guess that is asking too much! Would mean they have a better Economy product across the board as well.

Anyone know why its in the 77W whilst they have resisted on the 772?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:14 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by chunk73
Hah, fair enough. Would be nice if KL unilaterally also removed the 10 abreast from the 77W's in Economy as well but I guess that is asking too much! Would mean they have a better Economy product across the board as well.

Anyone know why its in the 77W whilst they have resisted on the 772?
The B77W were delivered with 3-4-3. Maybe when the next major overhaul for the B772 come up will they go for 3-4-3 there as well (as I thought that was the plan).

Gajan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.