Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Workers Accused Of Identity Theft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Workers Accused Of Identity Theft

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2007, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, management is ultimately responsible for this fiasco. The crime apparently went on for 3 years at the JFK ticket counter. Amazing, considering how stupid the employees were ("now let's see, I left my card at the JetBlue ticket counter and now there are all these unauthorized charges -- who could have used it."). To say management isn't uktimately responsible for hiring these clowns or stopping this crime is what strikes me as incredible. Because other hospitality employees have stolen from their guests (maids at a hotel, etc), doesn't mean that it's "just business" to have a ring of airline employees ripping folks off at the ticket counter. There really isn't any precedent for this and, because they are JetBlue, they will be judged by the supposed "humanity" of their company. These are frontline airline service personnel, and I can't recall a single incident of such employees stealing from their customers.
Either you're a family member of one of those employee's try to cover up the bad crime they commited by blaming management, or you're just not getting the main point here.

IMO, the customers were not responsible by forgetting their credit card. The first thing I do after ANY transaction ANYWHERE is check if I have my walle with credit card in it. Yes, mistakes do happen, but to blame jetBlue management for "hiring these clowns"...that is beyond ridiculous to say.
Old May 2, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
I work in the CC industry and trust me this happens in every aspect of retail, food, airline, cars, etc. It is a crime of opportunity. There usually is no "history" that would alert you that these people would be prone to pulling this scam. Its usually something that grows out of getting away with it once. Then word spreads to a friend or two and they continue to take it on. I'm sure when they say it was going on for years, it was sproatic at best, which is also why it probably too so long to piece together the crime.

The actions of Management are to ensure that going forward their employees understand that this will not be tolerated and they will prosecute, and then follow through. If anything, allowing this to go public does ensure that the employees know their fate should they try to do the same thing.
Old May 2, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Anyone should go to Jail for that..Good Job Port Authority Police! ^
Old May 2, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks to me that JetBlue has largely dodged this one as most of the national media have not reported it. It was prominently featured this morning on CBS Radio News (that 5 minute bit they do on the top of the hour), but the other networks don't seem to have the story. So far the coverage is confined to the NYC media, and it doesn't seem like even they're playing it up bigtime.

Perhaps most importantly, Dow Jones doesn't have the story, which (as usual) means its not being reported on CNBC. CNBC made a really big deal about the stranded passengers.
Old May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ladiflier
The actions of Management are to ensure that going forward their employees understand that this will not be tolerated and they will prosecute, and then follow through.
Could any employee really be that stupid to think otherwise? I would hold management to a higher standard, but it appears that many here do not seem to believe that theft prevention is management's job.

I guess the benefit of the arrests is that dumb, dishonest employees now know it's possible to get caught. If there were 4 of them at JetBlue, the odds favor the existence of others.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by iahphx
Could any employee really be that stupid to think otherwise? I would hold management to a higher standard, but it appears that many here do not seem to believe that theft prevention is management's job.
That is certainly not what I was implying, especially since, once B6 management found out about the fraud, they cooperated fully with the authorities.

Your earlier post implied that jetBlue ought to be held accountable for this fraud before they found out about it.

While clearly the employees turned out to be less than trustworthy, without any additional facts on the hiring process involving the employees involved, making blanket accusations about the inadequate process in this case is not really possible.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
The downward spiral continues.

Despicable.

Theft prevention is certainly management's job.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bam Bam

Despicable.

Welcome back, Bam Bam.

Your views during the 2/14 fiasco made no sense and now with this small bit of bad news, you make even less sense!

How is theft prevention management's job? Does this apply to the few bad apples at Ritz Carlton or St. Regis who steal from guests' rooms? What about the few bad apples at 5-star restaurants in NYC who take little by little extra off customers' credit cards each time for years?

I point out world class organizations to show that this is a problem at EVERY company in EVERY industry. It is not tolerated and it is 100% unethical, but unfortunately it happens. As mentioned in earlier posts by others with some sense, unlike you Bam Bam, it is not preventable.

On another note, this is a tiny problem for jetBlue compared to other, larger issues the company faced. I personally think it takes something bad like this to happen in order to prevent other employee's from commiting this crime in the future. How? Because they will see that it's not worth the 7 years or so in jail.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Top Story at 6 P.M. WNBC 4 NY. Shows employees in uniform and handcuffs being loaded into ploice van. Jetblue statement did not sound strong enough to me. It only mentions suspenson not firing.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:35 pm

I will never ever condone these actions. I hope that the NY courts throw the book at these lowlifes. In saying this I also condemn the corporate theft that goes on at many carriers at the expense of their employees. Glenn Tilton at United destroyed the pensions and morale of thousands of dedicated employees, however he was compensated with $39 million. There are always so many different angles to these theft issues.

Last edited by dietcoke; May 2, 2007 at 8:30 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
Originally Posted by dietcoke
I will never ever condone these actions. I hope that the NY courts throw the book at these lowlifes. In saying this I also condemn the corporate thief that goes on at many carriers at the expense of their employees. Glenn Tilton at United destroyed the pensions and morale of thousands of dedicated employees, however he was compensated with $39 million. There are always so many different angles to these theft issues.

On both counts, you and I (surprisingly) agree.

In JetBlue's case, this bad publicity could not come at a worse time, though.
Old May 2, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Bam Bam

Despicable.

Agreed. As a matter of fact these employees were apprehended because jetBlue management alerted the authorities to the fraud ring and then cooperated fully with the investigation.

What else would you suggest jetBlue management do?
Old May 2, 2007, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Agreed. As a matter of fact these employees were apprehended because jetBlue management alerted the authorities to the fraud ring and then cooperated fully with the investigation.

What else would you suggest jetBlue management do?

Perhaps if they had an effective Corporate Security Department, the "ring's" actions could have been stopped, or at least, mitigated earlier.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Welcome back, Bam Bam.

Your views during the 2/14 fiasco made no sense and now with this small bit of bad news, you make even less sense!
And, similarly, I find your consistent need to commend JetBlue at every turn, minimizing and negating the reporting of the very real problems going on at the carrier, to be just as illogical.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:20 pm

I really am surprised, though, that the article quoted above would include the suspects' names. Even though the authorities may have pretty good evidence of their guilt, I really think withholding the names until, at least, they are on trial would be fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.