Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-CLT upgrade to A320?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
RIC just has too much NYC capacity right now

Originally Posted by prhs1989
According to a.net, PIT and RIC are struggling. RIC doesn't surprise me, but I thought that they said that PIT's initial bookings were strong? That is a market that I thought would be doing very well.

On a side note, according to multiple people on a.net, it seems that the marketing department is slacking in the newer markets. Apparently, there has next to nil marketing at BNA, and it is not much better at PIT. What's going on?
RIC is a very strong US and DL flyer base, and the fact that US has flooded the LGA-RIC route with frequencies and DL is on the JFK-RIC route, it's going to be tough for B6 to steal market share from anyone but leisure travellers. US is even competing on walkup fares on this route. And while, yes, B6 flights are more pleasant, who cares about that for such a short flight?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c
I thought is was suprising that B6 went with the A320 on the JFK-PWM route. I didn't question it because I thought they may have had research figures that proved it was worth running A320's up there. I hope that route works out for them

On a side note, is it just me or has B6 had a lot of new routes recently that have struggled? (ex. BUR to MCO/LAS is defunked, EWR/SJU is shutting down, JFK to PIT, RIC, PWM amoungst others rumored to struggle)
PWM is beginning to book really well. Infact, tomorrow ... B6 has 9 or less seats on most flights returning to JFK.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by Seat13c
I thought is was suprising that B6 went with the A320 on the JFK-PWM route. I didn't question it because I thought they may have had research figures that proved it was worth running A320's up there. I hope that route works out for them

On a side note, is it just me or has B6 had a lot of new routes recently that have struggled? (ex. BUR to MCO/LAS is defunked, EWR/SJU is shutting down, JFK to PIT, RIC, PWM amoungst others rumored to struggle)

B6 would take BOS away from US if only B6 would ADVERTISE!!! PLEASE!! US is still raping the customers in PIT and we are letting them....well not me. I'll take B6 to BOS every time now and I'm a diehard US1 (chairman's). But there has to come a time when I say enough is enough w/ US.

Please tell B6 to spread the word they are in PIT. My mouth is only so BIG!

Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by B6AUS
PWM is beginning to book really well. Infact, tomorrow ... B6 has 9 or less seats on most flights returning to JFK.
I am going off of hearsay on a.net, but one member claimed that most flights were being booked in advance with fares around $60 to $90. I understand the bucket system used by Jetblue, but I wonder if they are trying to keep fares very low to entice travellers?

P.S. Memo to Jetblue marketing: Put your name out there. Even though the brand is massive on the east coast, it is still relatively new in the midwest. I remember hearing that when they established big plans for BOS, they put a full page ad at the front of the Boston Globe. Why wouldn't they be doing in PIT? That is a city with potential that is being slaughtered by their "hometown" carrier.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by CHOwahoo
RIC is a very strong US and DL flyer base, and the fact that US has flooded the LGA-RIC route with frequencies and DL is on the JFK-RIC route, it's going to be tough for B6 to steal market share from anyone but leisure travellers. US is even competing on walkup fares on this route. And while, yes, B6 flights are more pleasant, who cares about that for such a short flight?
The NY-BOS and BOS-DCA markets are also predominantly US and DL flyer bases as well, but that hasn't prevented Jetblue from succeeding in those markets. They have been able to stimulate new traffic in those markets, and that was probably desired as well in Richmond. Now, maybe 4 flights a day is too much. Maybe they could take away two flights from RIC and add them to CLT, or start BOS-CLT. Again, I think this goes back to a lack of marketing in this smaller market, which makes me think twice about this approach when they enter Nashville and Columbus in the upcoming weeks.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:17 pm

I was on 1085 tonight (10/7) JFK-CLT. Sure enough, I booked it last week as an E190 and it was changed to an A320. It was still fairly full. I asked an FA just to make sure I was on the correct flight. She said that JFK-CLT has been such a success that they're upgrading to A320s.

Another employee told me that they're looking to add a fifth daily round trip on that route, if they can work out an open gate position.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:08 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
My dad is flying JFK-CLT-JFK today...the first flight is about 90% and his return flight is 100%. Looks like this route turned out to be a major success...even so early in the game! Mr. Parker might need to re-think his strategy in terms of competing with jetBlue at CLT.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Love it

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
My dad is flying JFK-CLT-JFK today...the first flight is about 90% and his return flight is 100%. Looks like this route turned out to be a major success...even so early in the game! Mr. Parker might need to re-think his strategy in terms of competing with jetBlue at CLT.

I love how Parker and US are eating his words. Story in USA Today about a week ago about how the merger is not going so well as before. Come on Jetblue how about CLT-FLL!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by Brigri
I love how Parker and US are eating his words. Story in USA Today about a week ago about how the merger is not going so well as before. Come on Jetblue how about CLT-FLL!
CLT and RDU to FLL and MCO would be nice. However, pickups of MSP, ORD/MDW, and STL from JFK/BOS would be great too.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr64
US is still raping the customers in PIT and we are letting them....

I would not call that a rape.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by PointJunkie
I was on 1085 tonight (10/7) JFK-CLT. Sure enough, I booked it last week as an E190 and it was changed to an A320. It was still fairly full. I asked an FA just to make sure I was on the correct flight. She said that JFK-CLT has been such a success that they're upgrading to A320s.

Another employee told me that they're looking to add a fifth daily round trip on that route, if they can work out an open gate position.
I booked for 10/28 and 10/31 CLT-JFK-CLT, the flight numbers are greater than 1000, but when I went to the seat maps, it was 3x3 A320 both ways...

I am driving up from CAE, because for the price of one ticket on a legacy, I can fly 2 people up to NYC... Even with gas prices what they are....
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:53 pm

It does not matter how high the loads are. What matters is the yield, which is difficult to determine. With the entire industry operating a record load factors, just about all flights to anywhere are close to full. Anyplace that is not running close to full loads all the time is probably either in bad shape or a hub operation trying to keep utilization high.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AADC10
It does not matter how high the loads are. What matters is the yield, which is difficult to determine. With the entire industry operating a record load factors, just about all flights to anywhere are close to full. Anyplace that is not running close to full loads all the time is probably either in bad shape or a hub operation trying to keep utilization high.
Actually, the record load factors on U.S. airlines have dwindled since the peak summer travel season. JetBlue has successfully maintained high loads in CLT even during this much slower season...not to mention the upgrade to A320's on this route!

You have a valid point and as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, jetBlue's fare structure on this route allows for nice yields. The lowest (non-sale) fare is just above break-even compared to CASM...then, factor in all the higher fares closer to date of departure. Therefore, when you have loads well above 90%, as in jetBlue's case, you're destined to make some nice money.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I booked for 10/28 and 10/31 CLT-JFK-CLT, the flight numbers are greater than 1000, but when I went to the seat maps, it was 3x3 A320 both ways...

I am driving up from CAE, because for the price of one ticket on a legacy, I can fly 2 people up to NYC... Even with gas prices what they are....

The flgiht numbers don't seem to be as good an indicator as they were before. I fly JFK-BOS 1002 pretty often and it's always operated with an A320.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Therefore, when you have loads well above 90%, as in jetBlue's case, you're destined to make some nice money.
So, JetBlue's LF in Sept was among the lowest in the industry: lower than every single legacy and only higher than Airtan and Southwest, while yield was among the lowest as well, regardless of some nice increase over last year, what is your interpretation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.