Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2/17: Winds cause almost all westbound transcons to technical stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2/17: Winds cause almost all westbound transcons to technical stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
When I read this at first, I didn't get it -- SFO isn't really on the way from YVR to HNL. Then I figured it out: there's nowhere else to stop along the way, so you'd better take that detour to SFO and gas up to get a short enough route overwater!

I know it's all taken into account by the airlines and that the fuel calculations have to be correct for any aircraft, but it is a little disconcerting that they're flying a plane on a route where it can't always make it all the way to dry land. I guess the weather forecasts are accurate enough that they don't have a problem with this happening unexpectedly along the way. I wish our regular weather forecasts were that good!
I wonder if WestJet is going to buy any of those new 737-700ERs.
I think that the article said that they had a range of like 4,500 miles
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by DanJ
I don't think the Next Generation 737's has this issue to the same extent the 320 does. The 737-700 has a range of a good 1000 or so miles longer than the A320. I think Jetblue's 320's have a range in the 2700 mile area, while the 737-700 has a 3800-ish mile range. JFK-LGB is just under 2500 miles.

But, the head winds will take their toll on the 737 as well. Westjet flies a 3500-mile range 737-800 from Vancouver to Hawaii (2700 miles) and has had to make the odd fuel stop in San Francisco on the westbound leg.
I guess that this is the reasone that JetBlue volunteered one of their jets for the Winglets testing:

http://stagev4.airbus.com/en/pressce...0_newwing.html

Airbus to test new wing tip devices for A320 Family
15 February 2006

Airbus is studying the value of new wing tip devices for its Single Aisle Family as part of its commitment of continuous improvement. Airbus seeks to apply innovations to its products whenever it makes sense and brings real benefits to operators.

Wing tip devices are designed to improve wing aerodynamics and thus reduce fuel burn.

Two different new wing tip device types will be flight-tested on Airbus's A320 development aircraft in March. In addition, JetBlue Airways Corporation, the New York-based low-cost carrier, will also provide an aircraft for part of the flight test programme. Winglet Technology LLC, located in Wichita, Kansas, will provide one of the winglet designs for testing.

With the advent of more sophisticated analysis techniques, in particular in the context of A380 development, Airbus recently reviewed the application of more advanced methodologies to the A320 Family wing. This allows Airbus today to consider the application of new wing tip devices.

The first set of wing tip devices arrived at the A320 final assembly line in Toulouse at the beginning of February, with the second set due to arrive a few weeks later. During a series of flight tests in the coming months, a large set of parameters will be recorded. Depending on the outcome of a thorough analysis of the results achieved, Airbus will decide later this year on the way forward.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by DataBaseDude
I wonder if WestJet is going to buy any of those new 737-700ERs.
I think that the article said that they had a range of like 4,500 miles
You never know. I haven't heard much about the -700ER, and there is nothing on Boeing.com about it, so it might still be a fantasy aircraft. Not sure if it would have enough seats for Westjet. Their -700's only carry 136 now, and their -800s that they use to Hawaii only have 166 seats compared to the typical 189 for that model. Fewer seats and more range might be a good trade off if the tech stop for fuel was a regular thing, but I guess they've only had to do it half a dozen times or so since they started the route in December.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Here's a pix of the 2nd design being tested.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...on+Airbus.html
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DanJ
You never know. I haven't heard much about the -700ER, and there is nothing on Boeing.com about it, so it might still be a fantasy aircraft.
Apparently this was launched end of January by NH converting 2 existing orders to -700ERs. Apparently it's really just a BBJ (737-700 fuselage with -800 wing & main gear, with up to 9 extra fuel tanks).

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...ackground.html

Their -700's only carry 136 now, and their -800s that they use to Hawaii only have 166 seats compared to the typical 189 for that model.
Wonder how WS manages to make money with so few seats? AS 738s with 2 CoS seat 160. I flew on an Eurocypria 738 2 weeks ago and that was fitted with the maximum 189 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.