Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JFK Disability Assistance (Getting to Parking Lot)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I traveled this weekend from JFK. I was told to park in short-term parking as I am handicapped and to use my place-card. While it was close to the door... it was an extremely far walk (for me) to security and then to the gate. I had a very very difficult time. I am in a significant amount of pain now and dreading the trip home. I don't want to use a wheelchair, as I am heavy and I know I am not easy to push for that amount of distance.

I do see on the JetBlue site that they mention "electric carts" but am unsure what these are. Are anyone familiar with what these are? I did contact JetBlue, but they said I would have to contact the airport... when I contact their airport they said I have to contact JetBlue. I am not sure what I need to do about it. I fly tomorrow and am very anxious.

Thank you for your help!
Old May 10, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
AFAIK they do not have electric carts at JFK T5. I would recommend using a wheelchair even if it is a long distance -- they are trained for this type of situation and it is not a bother. Depending on the gate you arrive into, it can be quite a long walk, and then having to go all the way to the parking lot makes for quite a journey. Wishing you the best of luck and a safe trip.

-J.
jjbiv likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:27 am

They actually used to have a single electric cart on the long walk from the garage to the terminal building when they were building the TWA building and moved yellow cab pickup to the NYCTA Bus area (partway to terminal closer to garage). Maybe that is what is left on the website, you know the excellent web services provided by B6 are.

I haven't seen it in ages. Even when it was there it usually was parked by the elevators on the terminal side with no one around.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:34 am
Suspended

Ive used B6 @ JFK tons of times and Ive yet to see an electric cart. However Ive seen on numerous occasions a person in a wheelchair being pushed towards the airtrain/garage area in the indoor pathway.

I have no idea if they would push a person up to their car but Im sure a nice tip after sitting in the chair would take care of that. I have seen the same on the airtrain platform so I assume that the person was changing terms and being pushed to the new term/gate
Old May 16, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
JetBlue uses FSS (lowest bidder) as a vendor/contractor for chair services at JFK (and BOS). FSS does not do electric carts. Wheelchair is your only option besides walking.

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
They actually used to have a single electric cart on the long walk from the garage to the terminal building when they were building the TWA building and moved yellow cab pickup to the NYCTA Bus area (partway to terminal closer to garage). Maybe that is what is left on the website, you know the excellent web services provided by B6 are.

I haven't seen it in ages. Even when it was there it usually was parked by the elevators on the terminal side with no one around.
That may have been left over from the previous vendor/contractor, or it's owned/operated by PANYNJ. I wouldn't count on it being available.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by diburning
That may have been left over from the previous vendor/contractor, or it's owned/operated by PANYNJ. I wouldn't count on it being available.
I think I recall it being operated by the Port, or at least having a yellow PANYNJ sticker on it.

-J.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Take a wheelchair and tip well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.