Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returned refund from bank

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Returned refund from bank

JetBlue cancelled my reservation and provided refund to my CC that was closed before. So the bank returned refund. I have transactions ID. JetBlue is not responding to any channel of communication now answering all the time "we already refunded". Whom should I reach to locate funds in JB account and to get the refund processed? The funds are on JetBlue account in their bank - their Customer Service Agents even don't try to understand the problem if I reach them by email or twitter.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
You should contact the bank that issued the credit card. They will send you a check (or direct deposit) for the amount that was refunded.
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I did. Bank returned the refund to JetBlue as the account was closed and purged. I identified the transactions ID of return. So the funds are on JB's account
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Not sure what to tell you then. You could file a DOT complaint (https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer) but it will probably take a while to get a reply.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Bank returned the refund to JetBlue as the account was closed and purged.
The bank still owes you the refund. It's not your problem that the bank is transferring your money - without any authorization - to a third party.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do with B6 or DOT. It is solely an issue for the bank.

Where are you located, what is the specific card issuer (bank) and where is your account located, e.g. US?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

It is Chase. Yes. I am based in US. But I don't have any account nor Credit Card in this bank anymore, so this is according to Chase the reason why they needed to return money to B6.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:30 am
Suspended

That seems odd. A US bank would ordinarily send a check to the former customer's last known address if it had not been contacted by the former customer to make other arrangements. Barring that, it would hold the funds for a period of time (generally some number of years) as per the former customer's state of residence's unclaimed property law and then turn the funds over to the state. Chase does this pretty routinely.

Did you close the account or did Chase?

Probably best to send a short and clear letter to Chase advising that you have been advised by B6 that it issued a refund to your closed account and that your instructions are to send a check in that amount to you at a specified address. Leave out the rest as it is not relevant to the issue at hand.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:23 am
Original Poster

I closed the account. I did write similar letter. And I got as a reply that Chase returned the refund to B6 as they couldn't identify my active account. and I should contact merchant (B6) to locate funds and send me the refund directly. B6 doesn't even want to start searching for returned money
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
This is a long shot, but have you checked your JetBlue travel bank to see if there are funds there?
krobbins likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I don't have account with B6 - so no possibility to check travel Bank
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:05 pm

Call your bank and say there was an unauthorized transfer of money back to the merchant - basically make it explicitly clear that it is the bank's fault.

If you want to go the complain-to-government route, filing a CPFB claim will be better than DOT.
bgasser likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Originally Posted by Maciej Gruszka
I don't have account with B6 - so no possibility to check travel Bank
Just because you don't have a frequent flyer account with JetBlue doesn't mean you don't have travel bank. It can be searched by your name, email, or phone number. If you purchased directly through JetBlue, it should be easy to check on the existence of a travel bank. If you booked through a third party, your best bet is to have your confirmation code that will have a profile number that can be searched, or ask to search by name. I wouldn't even bring up the rest with the agent - just say you are looking for a travel bank that you think may have been issued.

Also, JetBlue has no way to refund you other than the original credit card used. You cannot request a check or return to another card - it's a flag for fraud. Your bank needs to handle this.

Last edited by krobbins; Aug 6, 2020 at 3:41 pm Reason: more info
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
That said, ultimately it really isn't a JetBlue issue, as others have said, but they may be able to at least tell you if you have a credit. Definitely push your bank on it, even if it means going into a branch and talking to someone there in person. Phone agents can brush you off a lot more easily than someone sitting across from you at a desk can.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

The best OP is going to do is to get B6 to reissue the credit to his now closed account. B6 won't vary from long-standing practice across US commerce. Thus, it will always take Chase to assist as that still would mean that a credit hits which it will need to convert to a check and mail to OP.

I would do all of this in writing because front-line customer service people have no capacity or understanding of how to deal with fact patterns which do not fit the form.
krobbins and TEBraniff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.