Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Does Even More Space get cheaper during Check-In

Old Jun 10, 18, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Just booked MSP-BOS for next week and only 3 out of the 30 Even More Space seats were reserved. Upgrade is at $50.

Does the upgrade get cheaper during Check-In?
Old Jun 10, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
Not that I am aware of
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Just checked the seating map again and all of the regular seats are taken but still 27 out of the 30 even more space seats are avaialble. So Jetblue will just let them fly empty then rather than discount the upgrade?

I'll take the upgrade if it's $20. But definately not worth $50.
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by UnitedFTW View Post
Just booked MSP-BOS for next week and only 3 out of the 30 Even More Space seats were reserved. Upgrade is at $50.

Does the upgrade get cheaper during Check-In?
Yes, if seats are available, I have seen it drop many times. On transcons it usually goes down to $99 instead of $109, etc.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: Free agent
I've seen the TCON flights drop as well but never shorter flights.
Old Jun 12, 18, 6:19 am

So Jetblue will just let them fly empty then rather than discount the upgrade?
You don't know if they are empty, B6 might have sold tickets without seat assignments. They also upgrade Mosaics then the unassigned ticketed pax get non-EMS seats.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Just checked the seating map again and all of the regular seats are taken but still 27 out of the 30 even more space seats are avaialble. So Jetblue will just let them fly empty then rather than discount the upgrade?

I'll take the upgrade if it's $20. But definately not worth $50.
If they consistently drop the price to $20 at check in, eventually no one will pay $50 in advance.

Same reason airlines don't give away the last tickets on a flight for pennies right before departure.
James91 and RWPrincess like this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
I've seen the TCON flights drop as well but never shorter flights.
I'm pretty sure I saw a small drop on BOS-RIC, but it was trivial ($43 to $39?)
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
You don't know if they are empty, B6 might have sold tickets without seat assignments. They also upgrade Mosaics then the unassigned ticketed pax get non-EMS seats.
I don't think they voluntarily do this. I think they do it if a Mosaic asks or checks in at the counter but I don't think they proactively upgrade just to assign non-EMS seats to unassigned pax.
Old Jun 19, 18, 1:25 am

Not the same question as OP, but less about discounted upgrades and more about...free upgrades

On booking LGB-SJC (departing July 1 at 2:50 pm) I noticed that, in the main cabin, just about 4 middle seats were available. No windows or aisles. On the other hand, plenty of Even More Space seats open (I want to say only 3 or so were selected). Upgrade ran $18-22.

I opted to not select a seat assignment thinking perhaps, by chance, I'd be placed into an EMS seat at no charge. I made this choice due to the complete lack of windows or aisles (figuring, hey, if I just get placed into one of those 4 middle seats in the main cabin, I'm back where I started and that's just fine).

My question is, any chance I get placed into an extra legroom seat at no charge? Or am I missing something?

I often fly Southwest SJC-BUR. Never flown JetBlue for an intra-California flight -- thought I've made a handful of B6 SJC/LAX-BOS flights and it was great each time. Thank you!
Old Jun 19, 18, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
I don't think they voluntarily do this. I think they do it if a Mosaic asks or checks in at the counter but I don't think they proactively upgrade just to assign non-EMS seats to unassigned pax.
Once I was paged to the desk to receive a new BP when I didn't ask for the move. And usually when I check in at the Mosaic counter at JFK they'll ask me if I want the EMS seats rather than waiting for me to request them. But it is not a systemic thing where the computer automagically moves pax around.
Old Jun 23, 18, 12:11 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by maybebehindyou View Post
Not the same question as OP, but less about discounted upgrades and more about...free upgrades

On booking LGB-SJC (departing July 1 at 2:50 pm) I noticed that, in the main cabin, just about 4 middle seats were available. No windows or aisles. On the other hand, plenty of Even More Space seats open (I want to say only 3 or so were selected). Upgrade ran $18-22.

I opted to not select a seat assignment thinking perhaps, by chance, I'd be placed into an EMS seat at no charge. I made this choice due to the complete lack of windows or aisles (figuring, hey, if I just get placed into one of those 4 middle seats in the main cabin, I'm back where I started and that's just fine).

My question is, any chance I get placed into an extra legroom seat at no charge? Or am I missing something?

!
Not likely. An upgrade to EMS, where you are likely to not be stuffed into a middle seat for $18-$22 is a no brainer for me. I'm Mosaic, but happy to pay for an EMS upgrade almost every time.
Old Jun 23, 18, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
Not likely.
Disagree. There are some blocked seats on the map so possible that maybebehindyou ends up in one of those or one of the middles but there's also a pretty good chance that they end up in EMS for free. Someone has to get there eventually.

Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
I'm Mosaic, but happy to pay for an EMS upgrade almost every time.
I am to, and I almost never pay. When I do it is points, but even that's rare.
Old Jun 23, 18, 1:12 pm

thanks all for the tips! I'll let you know what ends up happening
Old Jun 24, 18, 9:27 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Disagree. There are some blocked seats on the map so possible that maybebehindyou ends up in one of those or one of the middles but there's also a pretty good chance that they end up in EMS for free. Someone has to get there eventually.

I am to, and I almost never pay. When I do it is points, but even that's rare.
Indeed, its dirt cheap in some respects with points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: