Mint cushions without cushion

Old Jun 10, 17, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Mint cushions without cushion

As a VX exile, I was happily anticipating my first Mint flight from JFK to SFO. Most aspects of the Mint experience were excellent (although it IS awkward to have the Mint check-in on the opposite end of the terminal from TSA Pre at JFK.

One thing that surprised me was that there seemed to be no cushioning on the seat cushion. After a couple of hours, I took the bag-o-blanket and pillow and sat on it (...surprising my neighbors with a bit of a pop and fart sound - it was the blanket bag, not me. Honest!)

Did I just have one of their oldest seats which was due for repair, or have others found it to be inadequate for a 6 hour flight?
Old Jun 10, 17, 3:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It varies a bit. It's not a spectacularly padded seat, but it should be adequate.

A greater annoyance is that the massage feature is seemingly always on?
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:22 am

Live reporting from jetBlue Mint flight... I am currently flying 1124 redeye to JFK. I am in seat 4A and when I reached my seat, there was no cushion at all. I felt like sitting in steel. I told the lead F/A and then moment later, his colleague came to reset the seat. Then the cushion was back on.

Next time if you have a cushion issue, please tell the F/A to reset the seat. So they can get the cushion working.

Carfield
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carfield View Post
Live reporting from jetBlue Mint flight... I am currently flying 1124 redeye to JFK. I am in seat 4A and when I reached my seat, there was no cushion at all. I felt like sitting in steel. I told the lead F/A and then moment later, his colleague came to reset the seat. Then the cushion was back on.

Next time if you have a cushion issue, please tell the F/A to reset the seat. So they can get the cushion working.

Carfield
Really? So they're inflatable? ...and what you describe is exactly what I felt.
Old Jun 12, 17, 11:10 pm

Yes I was not aware of the inflating cushion till that redeye flight.

So if you felt that you are sitting on steel, you can ask the F/A to reset the seat control, and then you can re-inflate the seat cushion again.

Good thing to know!

Carfield
Old Oct 26, 19, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Carfield View Post

My seat deflated and needed to be reset twice last nice on SFO-BOS. To me, the seat cushioning (and lack of a comfortable lounging position) is the biggest negative of the Mint product.
Old Oct 26, 19, 5:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
This is not the first time this has happened. Turns out the electric air pumps have a lower MBTF than anticipated. As mentioned, a reset should fix it (which the FA can easily do after getting approval from the pilots), but it is annoying. It's just like turning your computer off and back on again. That said, if the air bladder is actually broken (reset is unsuccessful), it gets fixed as quickly as it can get to wherever there are parts to fix it. As the OP did, a pillow or blanket to sit on makes it comfortable enough!

-J.
Old Oct 27, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
if the air bladder is actually broken (reset is unsuccessful), it gets fixed as quickly as it can get to wherever there are parts to fix it. As the OP did, a pillow or blanket to sit on makes it comfortable enough!
The FA specifically mentioned extra pillows/blankets as the next option if the reset didn't work. He clearly has had to deal with this frequently. He mentioned that B6 will NOT be using these seats on new aircraft.

Note that the reset switch is under the seat bottom. I reset myself the second time.
Old Oct 27, 19, 4:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The FA specifically mentioned extra pillows/blankets as the next option if the reset didn't work. He clearly has had to deal with this frequently. He mentioned that B6 will NOT be using these seats on new aircraft.

Note that the reset switch is under the seat bottom. I reset myself the second time.
I can't recommend doing it yourself because, while it may be convenient, the pilots need to be aware of any time an electrical system in the cabin is being reset. This is a safety precaution in case it shorts out or otherwise creates an electrical fire.

These seats are not expected to be used on the A321LR. Rather, the rumor is that they will pick the Thompson Vantage Solo.

-J.
Carfield likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 1:39 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
The seats that JetBlue has in the Mint aircraft are available without the inflatable air bladder option. Aer Lingus has the same seats on their A330s, minus the inflatable cushion and the suite doors.
Old Nov 11, 19, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
The seats that JetBlue has in the Mint aircraft are available without the inflatable air bladder option. Aer Lingus has the same seats on their A330s, minus the inflatable cushion and the suite doors.
Sure, it's the Thompson Vantage seat. DL uses it, as does LX. LX has air cushions, DL does not.

Not my favorite seat, though B6's configuration is at least reasonably spacious.
Old Nov 12, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
Remember this thread next time your aircraft is subbed for a Mint aircraft on a non-Mint route and nobody is allowed to sit in the Mint seats. The FAs are specially trained on how to operate those seats.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, JetBlue
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF View Post
Really? So they're inflatable? ...and what you describe is exactly what I felt.
I'm pretty sure this is why the throne seats can get uncomfortably warm on the bit facing the window. I think they house the compressor in it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: