FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Mint cushions without cushion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1847398-mint-cushions-without-cushion.html)

MarkBearSF Jun 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Mint cushions without cushion

As a VX exile, I was happily anticipating my first Mint flight from JFK to SFO. Most aspects of the Mint experience were excellent (although it IS awkward to have the Mint check-in on the opposite end of the terminal from TSA Pre at JFK.

One thing that surprised me was that there seemed to be no cushioning on the seat cushion. After a couple of hours, I took the bag-o-blanket and pillow and sat on it (...surprising my neighbors with a bit of a pop and fart sound - it was the blanket bag, not me. Honest!)

Did I just have one of their oldest seats which was due for repair, or have others found it to be inadequate for a 6 hour flight?

caliform Jun 10, 2017 3:53 pm

It varies a bit. It's not a spectacularly padded seat, but it should be adequate.

A greater annoyance is that the massage feature is seemingly always on?

Carfield Jun 11, 2017 12:22 am

Live reporting from jetBlue Mint flight... I am currently flying 1124 redeye to JFK. I am in seat 4A and when I reached my seat, there was no cushion at all. I felt like sitting in steel. I told the lead F/A and then moment later, his colleague came to reset the seat. Then the cushion was back on.

Next time if you have a cushion issue, please tell the F/A to reset the seat. So they can get the cushion working.

Carfield

MarkBearSF Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield (Post 28428203)
Live reporting from jetBlue Mint flight... I am currently flying 1124 redeye to JFK. I am in seat 4A and when I reached my seat, there was no cushion at all. I felt like sitting in steel. I told the lead F/A and then moment later, his colleague came to reset the seat. Then the cushion was back on.

Next time if you have a cushion issue, please tell the F/A to reset the seat. So they can get the cushion working.

Carfield

Really? So they're inflatable? ...and what you describe is exactly what I felt.

Carfield Jun 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Yes I was not aware of the inflating cushion till that redeye flight.

So if you felt that you are sitting on steel, you can ask the F/A to reset the seat control, and then you can re-inflate the seat cushion again.

Good thing to know!

Carfield

Kacee Oct 26, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Carfield (Post 28428203)

My seat deflated and needed to be reset twice last nice on SFO-BOS. To me, the seat cushioning (and lack of a comfortable lounging position) is the biggest negative of the Mint product.

GW McLintock Oct 26, 2019 5:38 pm

This is not the first time this has happened. Turns out the electric air pumps have a lower MBTF than anticipated. As mentioned, a reset should fix it (which the FA can easily do after getting approval from the pilots), but it is annoying. It's just like turning your computer off and back on again. That said, if the air bladder is actually broken (reset is unsuccessful), it gets fixed as quickly as it can get to wherever there are parts to fix it. As the OP did, a pillow or blanket to sit on makes it comfortable enough!

-J.

Kacee Oct 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 31669437)
if the air bladder is actually broken (reset is unsuccessful), it gets fixed as quickly as it can get to wherever there are parts to fix it. As the OP did, a pillow or blanket to sit on makes it comfortable enough!

The FA specifically mentioned extra pillows/blankets as the next option if the reset didn't work. He clearly has had to deal with this frequently. He mentioned that B6 will NOT be using these seats on new aircraft.

Note that the reset switch is under the seat bottom. I reset myself the second time.

GW McLintock Oct 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31672050)
The FA specifically mentioned extra pillows/blankets as the next option if the reset didn't work. He clearly has had to deal with this frequently. He mentioned that B6 will NOT be using these seats on new aircraft.

Note that the reset switch is under the seat bottom. I reset myself the second time.

I can't recommend doing it yourself because, while it may be convenient, the pilots need to be aware of any time an electrical system in the cabin is being reset. This is a safety precaution in case it shorts out or otherwise creates an electrical fire.

These seats are not expected to be used on the A321LR. Rather, the rumor is that they will pick the Thompson Vantage Solo.

-J.

diburning Nov 5, 2019 1:39 am

The seats that JetBlue has in the Mint aircraft are available without the inflatable air bladder option. Aer Lingus has the same seats on their A330s, minus the inflatable cushion and the suite doors.

Kacee Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31702595)
The seats that JetBlue has in the Mint aircraft are available without the inflatable air bladder option. Aer Lingus has the same seats on their A330s, minus the inflatable cushion and the suite doors.

Sure, it's the Thompson Vantage seat. DL uses it, as does LX. LX has air cushions, DL does not.

Not my favorite seat, though B6's configuration is at least reasonably spacious.

RWPrincess Nov 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Remember this thread next time your aircraft is subbed for a Mint aircraft on a non-Mint route and nobody is allowed to sit in the Mint seats. The FAs are specially trained on how to operate those seats.

billatq Dec 3, 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MarkBearSF (Post 28435022)
Really? So they're inflatable? ...and what you describe is exactly what I felt.

I'm pretty sure this is why the throne seats can get uncomfortably warm on the bit facing the window. I think they house the compressor in it.

caminyx Jun 7, 2021 5:02 pm

This happens to me all the time, and I usually have to ask the FAs to use the awkward under-seat reset button - but on my most recent flight, the FA fixed it by pressing "lumbar +" three times and then "cushion +" once. A minute later, and it was all inflated again! I did that combination myself later in the flight when it failed again and it worked great. She said techops showed it to her, and that it's a 'factory reset' option. The seat stays powered on the whole time, so I don't think it's an actual electrical reset.

MSYtoJFKagain Jun 8, 2021 5:58 am

Originally Posted by caminyx (Post 33310930)
This happens to me all the time, and I usually have to ask the FAs to use the awkward under-seat reset button - but on my most recent flight, the FA fixed it by pressing "lumbar +" three times and then "cushion +" once. A minute later, and it was all inflated again! I did that combination myself later in the flight when it failed again and it worked great. She said techops showed it to her, and that it's a 'factory reset' option. The seat stays powered on the whole time, so I don't think it's an actual electrical reset.

You just saved my brother's butt on a redeye. Cheers!