Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, but not exactly as you describe it. There should be a published Mint fare for LGB-BOS that you can buy. Otherwise you're just buying LGB-SFO + SFO-BOS as separate fares and that is likely to be more expensive.

That said, the regular site often has trouble with mixed cabin itineraries like that. BlueInc is better at them. If you search LGB-BOS does it offer you the Mint fare option?
No. Jetblue . com only lists coach fare for this routing LGB-BOS via SFO. Mint column shows 'N/A'. I thought this is because LGB-SFO only has coach in A320 aircraft. Hence I was thinking if i can just pay the difference of the mint cost for SFO-BOS leg.

How do I search BlueInc? I don't have any business account with jetblue.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You need an account to use BlueInc. What date are you looking to travel? Send it via PM if you prefer. I can check if it shows on the BlueInc site and what the price is.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:33 pm

You need an account to use BlueInc. What date are you looking to travel? Send it via PM if you prefer. I can check if it shows on the BlueInc site and what the price is.
Do they care if you really own a business to open Blue Inc account? I was able to create a dummy account using a dummy business information in another country. And the combined fares of blue and mint really show up when searching in the blue inc portal. I think this is really convenient. But I am just curious if they care if you must own a business to book a flight using blue inc portal.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:30 am

A followup to my earlier posts about changing a flight. I decided to give it a run today via phone changing and it worked great.

I had booked BOS-SFO on an EMS seat, fare was around $270. I'm checking a second bag (Jetblue plus card member) so that'd tack another $35 on top of it for a $300 effective cost. I decided to check Jetblue.com and see what the going rate was and I was shocked to see that Mint was at $399. That's the lowest I've ever seen it on BOS-SFO. I called 800-JetBlue, waited on hold for about ten minutes, and the nice person on the other end of the line charged me the fare difference, refunded my previous fare and EMS charge, and assigned me to seat 4F.

Paying gate upgrades is for suckers. If you really want to switch on the same flight (which has no change fee), call Jetblue on the phone. It'll cost you some time on hold, but that's a lot cheaper than a $499 gate upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kefkafloyd
Paying gate upgrades is for suckers. If you really want to switch on the same flight (which has no change fee), call Jetblue on the phone. It'll cost you some time on hold, but that's a lot cheaper than a $499 gate upgrade.
Sure, unless the flights are not on sale for $399.

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Do they care if you really own a business to open Blue Inc account? I was able to create a dummy account using a dummy business information in another country. And the combined fares of blue and mint really show up when searching in the blue inc portal. I think this is really convenient. But I am just curious if they care if you must own a business to book a flight using blue inc portal.
I don't think they really care, but I also don't really know. I have a real business so I'm not worried about my usage there.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:19 pm

Sure, unless the flights are not on sale for $399.
Yes, Yes. But even then, I bet you'd still come out ahead by changing over the phone. Most mint legs I've seen are in the $599 range at most times of booking (BOS-SFO, BOS-LAX), with a +/-$100. Depending on what you paid for a regular Blue fare the difference will probably be in the $200-$300 range versus the $499-$599 gate upgrade fee.

Now, the BOS-LAS flights I've seen have had $1049 (!) mint fares, and in that case, you'd come out ahead with a gate upgrade.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by kefkafloyd
A followup to my earlier posts about changing a flight. I decided to give it a run today via phone changing and it worked great.

I had booked BOS-SFO on an EMS seat, fare was around $270. I'm checking a second bag (Jetblue plus card member) so that'd tack another $35 on top of it for a $300 effective cost. I decided to check Jetblue.com and see what the going rate was and I was shocked to see that Mint was at $399. That's the lowest I've ever seen it on BOS-SFO. I called 800-JetBlue, waited on hold for about ten minutes, and the nice person on the other end of the line charged me the fare difference, refunded my previous fare and EMS charge, and assigned me to seat 4F.

I've had two instances where upgrading at the gate was my only choice. The flights had no Mint seats available, and people jut failed to check-in, so they allowed me to upgrade for the $499. I don't think at T-10 I could have done that via res.
Also, when there's only 1 seat left, I've seen Mint at ~$1100.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:15 pm
zod

I have a Blue fare that was booked through work that I'd like to upgrade to Mint (paying whatever fare difference) but when I called JB they told me the only way to make the switch is to cancel my fare and rebook in Mint. Is this normal? I could've sworn I was able to pay for an upgrade before, seems odd to have this restriction.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by zod
I have a Blue fare that was booked through work that I'd like to upgrade to Mint (paying whatever fare difference) but when I called JB they told me the only way to make the switch is to cancel my fare and rebook in Mint. Is this normal? I could've sworn I was able to pay for an upgrade before, seems odd to have this restriction.
Fairly sure that's normal. If you can't go with the cancel & rebook because of work, there is the option to take the upgrade at the gate (with the fee 599? 649?).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Question for other JFK based flyers. If I'm flying a JFK-FLL-SJO trip as the outbound leg of a RT, when I'm checking in at the Mosaic desk, is it possible to get the EMS upgrade for the FLL-SJO leg from the desk at JFK? Seems like it'd be the easier place to try as opposed to waiting until FLL if I'm going to get the 2nd boarding pass at the time.

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Yes they should be able to upgrade you for both legs of the trip to SJO
Intheair2night likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Wanted to share a data point. There was one Mint seat open on a SFO->JFK flight. It was being sold for $1300 online and they wanted fare difference. At gate I heard someone ask for the cost to upgrade and it was $649, so they passed.

I go to board and they tell me that the flight is full but a crewmember plans to deadhead, so they're giving me a complimentary upgrade to Mint! Amazing, first OpUp I've ever had. I didn't even know it was possible on Jetblue. I guess being a single Mosaic traveler has it's perks
sbm12 and RWPrincess like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Congrats! As I mentioned a few pages back, there is an opaque op-up process where they will op-up pax to Mint based on certain criteria (that I'm not allowed to share), but op-ups only occur when there are standbys on a full flight (regardless of whether they are revenue or nonrev)
ralphs likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by zod
Maybe it depends on how it was booked in the first place? I originally booked on Jetblue.com When I called, they gave me two options: cancel and rebook and get a refund on my card, or rebook with the existing fare going into Travel Bank and then immediately applying Travel Bank to the rebook purchase and then paying the difference. I took the travelbank option because it would take a few weeks for the refund to show up on my Jetblue card statement. They just immediately used the travelbank to rebook and I paid the fare difference on my Jetblue Plus card.

That may be problematic for a "booked through a business portal" type thing like Concur.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Wanted to share a data point. There was one Mint seat open on a SFO->JFK flight. It was being sold for $1300 online and they wanted fare difference. At gate I heard someone ask for the cost to upgrade and it was $649, so they passed.

I go to board and they tell me that the flight is full but a crewmember plans to deadhead, so they're giving me a complimentary upgrade to Mint! Amazing, first OpUp I've ever had. I didn't even know it was possible on Jetblue. I guess being a single Mosaic traveler has it's perks
Congrats! I've never had this happen but I have seen it happen to another Mosaic. I had booked my Mint seat on points.

Also, the flight I was on was half empty on account of a troop of Boy Scouts who had confused 12:30am with 12:30pm. It may have been a sold out flight but definitely didn't leave full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.