FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Jetblue Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1779390-jetblue-upgrades.html)

crwecko Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Jetblue Upgrades

Hello Everyone,

I am flying SFO-JFK in September and simply love the new Mint concept for first class. It's truly the best looking first class cabin I've seen for domestic flights. Unfortunately it's more expensive than some of the major airlines are charging ($1200 RT vs. $960 I've seen on Delta for example for the same dates).

I plan on booking economy class and was wondering how much the upgrades usually are (in advance or last minute)? Has anyone ever gotten bumped up somehow? I only have 4,686 - how many points do I need to upgrade to Mint?

jay_dubya Jul 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by crwecko (Post 26939007)
Hello Everyone,

I am flying SFO-JFK in September and simply love the new Mint concept for first class. It's truly the best looking first class cabin I've seen for domestic flights. Unfortunately it's more expensive than some of the major airlines are charging ($1200 RT vs. $960 I've seen on Delta for example for the same dates).

I plan on booking economy class and was wondering how much the upgrades usually are (in advance or last minute)? Has anyone ever gotten bumped up somehow? I only have 4,686 - how many points do I need to upgrade to Mint?

The upgrade will be the difference between what you paid and the current mint price

crwecko Jul 19, 2016 5:12 pm

So they don't do an upgrade 24 hours before or on the spot like Virgin America and most other airlines?

dw Jul 19, 2016 5:19 pm

B6 does not do upgrades; if you want to sit in Mint, you'll have to pay for it.

FLIHGH Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 26940375)
B6 does not do upgrades; if you want to sit in Mint, you'll have to pay for it.

Gate agents occasionally upgrade passengers.

Jimgotkp Jul 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by crwecko (Post 26940347)
So they don't do an upgrade 24 hours before or on the spot like Virgin America and most other airlines?

Virgin America doesn't upgrade elites unless you pay the upgrade fee.

crwecko Jul 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I don't know why but the price of SFO-JFK just went up to $197 from $146. I called the airline and they said that it sometimes goes up at this time of night. They said it might come down and they would adjust it if it did. It was $146 for practically all date in September just earlier today. Again not sure what could have happened and what to do at this point...

zrs70 Jul 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by crwecko (Post 26941233)
I don't know why but the price of SFO-JFK just went up to $197 from $146. I called the airline and they said that it sometimes goes up at this time of night. They said it might come down and they would adjust it if it did. It was $146 for practically all date in September just earlier today. Again not sure what could have happened and what to do at this point...

What to do? I would keep it in perspective. $197 is dirt cheap for a transcontinental ticket. 30 years ago, a cheap ticket on the same route would have been twice as much, without taking inflation into acount!

crwecko Jul 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 26941333)
What to do? I would keep it in perspective. $197 is dirt cheap for a transcontinental ticket. 30 years ago, a cheap ticket on the same route would have been twice as much, without taking inflation into acount!

Of course, I understand that - it's just that I hate myself for missing that deal when I saw it a few days ago and didn't pounce on it. If the original deal was $197 I wouldn't even think about having missed anything. They must have increased the price to match the other airlines. Seems like Virgin went up on the same route the same day too... And Delta did as well...

dw Jul 20, 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by crwecko (Post 26941233)
Again not sure what could have happened and what to do at this point...

I would consider it a good lesson for the future. Airfares can change at any time, so if you see a good deal just buy it immediately. You always have 24 hours to cancel if you change your mind.

zhaofa90 Jul 21, 2016 10:22 am

Originally Posted by crwecko (Post 26941343)
Of course, I understand that - it's just that I hate myself for missing that deal when I saw it a few days ago and didn't pounce on it. If the original deal was $197 I wouldn't even think about having missed anything. They must have increased the price to match the other airlines. Seems like Virgin went up on the same route the same day too... And Delta did as well...

Airfares can change as frequent as hourly nowadays. If you want the fare you see, book it immediately otherwise it will probably be gone the next day.

mhdena Jul 21, 2016 10:17 pm

You can't steal in Slow Motion.

RWPrincess Jul 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by FLIHGH (Post 26940795)
Gate agents occasionally upgrade passengers.

Occasionally Mosaic passengers

FLIHGH Jul 25, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by RWPrincess (Post 26962921)
Occasionally Mosaic passengers

More often than standard pax, but not always.

dw Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by FLIHGH (Post 26964757)
More often than standard pax, but not always.

Normally I would assume as op-ups when coach is oversold, but I thought B6 does not overbook? Are these in situations where coach is full and they are trying to accommodate standbys?