Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 504 EWR-FLL diverted to BDL, calling for police on board the aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 504 EWR-FLL diverted to BDL, calling for police on board the aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Platinum (30 years of work!)
JetBlue cites "infrastructure" problem, is that just lack of gates?

Seems like they have a problem prioritizing - this plane shouldn't have even been sent out after refueling... if the news reports are accurate.

I've only heard of one situation where airplane tires were immobilized, so what happened here?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
all the major news stations have picked up on this now. spread the bad news
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, they could get civil penalty for that. They should be offload immediately. They cannot have to spent more time on tarmac for an hours. That's not good at all! They should have followed the rules. Must be obey the law!
Easier said than done. YOU try offloading a full A320 in slippery snow conditions safely and expeditiously, and try to set up a game plan to get them either to EWR in hazardous road travel conditions or find rooms and meals for people.

When your resume shows you have airline operational experience dealing with weather and operational disruptions, then feel free to chime in like the expert you pretend to be.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by deltaflyer7
Seems like they have a problem prioritizing - this plane shouldn't have even been sent out after refueling... if the news reports are accurate.

I've only heard of one situation where airplane tires were immobilized, so what happened here?
Sounds like the BDL manager should have got on the fone early on with the JetBlue ops center and declared his station unable to receive any more flights, scheduled or unscheduled, based on the operating conditions of the airport.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
I thought the new law was to tow the plane if it has been diverted and has been sitting on the runway for more than 2 hours with no food and water . Why couldn't they at least park at a remote stand and shuttle everyone to the terminal?

Furthermore why didn't Jetblue reserve hotels, give food vouchers etc? Since it was at Bradley why couldn't Jetblue get water/beverages/food from LSG Skychefs? Or at least bring all passengers to the terminal for pizza soda etc.

I think all passengers are owed a refund+violation of the new law.
The questions to ask are:

*Was BDL an appropriate alternate to divert to? BDL station manager must be able to get on the phone with with JetBlue operation center and proclaim whether his station and staff are able accomodate any more flights, scheduled or unscheduled, regardless if the airport is still open for departures/arrivals.
*Was it safe to deplane on the ramp, with airstairs, in snow and ice conditions?
*What was the game plan to accomodate the passengers? Assuming it was next to impossible to charter a bus to EWR in those conditions nor get a slew of rooms, would it have hurt to get the company credit card and find pillows, cots, and blankets? At the start of the daily rotations, these are questions service recovery folks need to have answered before launch in such conditions.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:51 pm

It absolutely has to be the responsibility of both the airlines and airports to put *real* contingency plans into place. As I said in another thread:

Part of the problem is the ingrained response (and often defense here) of "ooh, it's weather! The airline can't control the weather!" used to excuse any and all action or inaction, regardless of the cost to the passenger or whether the airline could mitigate it.

No, the airline doesn't control the weather, but they do control their response to it -- scheduling, contingency planning, agreements with airport authorities, decisions on where to divert...none of which are under any control of the passenger.

Americans (and others!) have solved incredibly complex problems throughout our history. I simply can't believe that it's impossible to have a contingency plan at each airport designed to get passengers off of airplanes and into the terminal, at a reasonable cost. Everything from gate contracts specifying that any other airline can borrow the gate and any workers present (with extra pay) in an unloading emergency, to airstairs and designated pathways to an entry door in the baggage service area should be considered in those plans.

What seems to be needed to get the contingency planner's attention is even more fines (and probably liability to each passenger, say $50/hour over 3 hours), plus a requirement to file those contingency plans, both from each airline and each airport that wants to continue having commercial service.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:24 pm

Has anything changed for the better in this regard since David Neeleman left jetBlue?

This is deja vu of a few years ago.

It seems that jetBlue still lacks the infrastructure to handle flight irregularities.

No doubt, the Black and Blue supporters will latch on to every excuse known to man, not the least of which is the weather, and next the airport, but many businesses consider it "their business" to be dealing with irregularities and emergencies, and respond to irregularities like they are regularities.

And to think, jetBlue has a presence and daily operations at BDL........

Just some more Black and Blue passengers.............damaged like pears in the Produce Department.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Based on the weather conditions at EWR, why did the flight even depart FLL. So it left, why did they go to Hartford, the weather was woese there.
Jet Blue is getting bad press again, the same airline they had the problem at JFK a few years back.
Most airlines have operations centers where every aircraft is watched, they have access to the latest weather data. Very bad coordination to have people stuck on plane for 7 hours is rediculous. Now they are trying to blame the airport. You made the stupid decision to land there so it is your problem.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
My understanding is that the ILS at EWR went down, which caused a ton of last-minute diversions across lots of carriers. That's not B6's issue, but it was a total failure when the plane landed.

Someone posted a recording to LiveATC of some of the conversation between the plane and the tower. Seems like total chaos, but the pilot said that B6 was not being responsive.

http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:19 pm

Where did the restrooms go?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by volvo99
Easier said than done. YOU try offloading a full A320 in slippery snow conditions safely and expeditiously, and try to set up a game plan to get them either to EWR in hazardous road travel conditions or find rooms and meals for people.

When your resume shows you have airline operational experience dealing with weather and operational disruptions, then feel free to chime in like the expert you pretend to be.

This:

Originally Posted by jmastron
It absolutely has to be the responsibility of both the airlines and airports to put *real* contingency plans into place. As I said in another thread:

Part of the problem is the ingrained response (and often defense here) of "ooh, it's weather! The airline can't control the weather!" used to excuse any and all action or inaction, regardless of the cost to the passenger or whether the airline could mitigate it.

No, the airline doesn't control the weather, but they do control their response to it -- scheduling, contingency planning, agreements with airport authorities, decisions on where to divert...none of which are under any control of the passenger.

Americans (and others!) have solved incredibly complex problems throughout our history. I simply can't believe that it's impossible to have a contingency plan at each airport designed to get passengers off of airplanes and into the terminal, at a reasonable cost. Everything from gate contracts specifying that any other airline can borrow the gate and any workers present (with extra pay) in an unloading emergency, to airstairs and designated pathways to an entry door in the baggage service area should be considered in those plans.

What seems to be needed to get the contingency planner's attention is even more fines (and probably liability to each passenger, say $50/hour over 3 hours), plus a requirement to file those contingency plans, both from each airline and each airport that wants to continue having commercial service.
There is no reason that Jet Blue (and every other airline) does not have contingency plans up the wazoo, particularly after what happened last time and given the fact that so much of their traffic is O&D the northeast. If they're gonna be boasting about getting their traffic out, they'd better be ready when things go really, really wrong.

Mike
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:41 pm

Exclamation Second Horror Flight

There was ANOTHER JetBlue diversion to Hartford where passengers ALSO were on plane for 6plus hours. Flight was BOS-JFK .... had a friend onboard. Absolute horror, he tells me.

Shame on JetBlue. You'd think they would have learned from that Valentine Day fiasco a few years ago
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
The Weather Channel has a report including still photos of firefighters on the aircraft and an interview with a passenger after he got into the terminal. link

A poster upthread demanded someone's airline management credentials. The whole point of FT is giving "amateurs" like myself the opportunity to ask questions, vent and share our thoughts.

I don't know much about airline management, but I do know a little about bureaucracies and turf. Situations like this are disasters-in-waiting because no one involved is willing to go beyond their job descriptions. Look at the key players in this situation: the airport executive director, the JetBlue station manager, the FAA tower boss, and the offsite JetBlue ops center.

None of those people got where they are by taking risks, and none of them were going to say "by gum, we're going to get that plane in right now to whatever gate is open, and take care of them once inside." Maybe the JetBlue rampers had gone home -- again, if the station manager wanted to really take charge he would have told the rampers they were sleeping at the airport that night or they were fired. And so on. It took the governor busting heads to make anything happen.

People don't become FAA tower managers or airport executive directors by going above and beyond or by taking risks. Same for airline station managers. So it's easier to let a plane full of passengers be someone else's problem,
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Makes sense

Originally Posted by flavorflav
The Weather Channel has a report including still photos of firefighters on the aircraft and an interview with a passenger after he got into the terminal. link

A poster upthread demanded someone's airline management credentials. The whole point of FT is giving "amateurs" like myself the opportunity to ask questions, vent and share our thoughts.

I don't know much about airline management, but I do know a little about bureaucracies and turf. Situations like this are disasters-in-waiting because no one involved is willing to go beyond their job descriptions. Look at the key players in this situation: the airport executive director, the JetBlue station manager, the FAA tower boss, and the offsite JetBlue ops center.

None of those people got where they are by taking risks, and none of them were going to say "by gum, we're going to get that plane in right now to whatever gate is open, and take care of them once inside." Maybe the JetBlue rampers had gone home -- again, if the station manager wanted to really take charge he would have told the rampers they were sleeping at the airport that night or they were fired. And so on. It took the governor busting heads to make anything happen.

People don't become FAA tower managers or airport executive directors by going above and beyond or by taking risks. Same for airline station managers. So it's easier to let a plane full of passengers be someone else's problem,

Sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if the fault of both on B6 and BDL/ATC as both may be tried to hand the problem off to the other . There may be rules that prohibit going out on the ramp during hazardous conditions .
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
the operating cert should be pulled for this.
Seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.