Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-EWR!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dm84
Unless it's raining, snowy, windy, or congested at EWR, in which case you'd probably regret flying when the "slower" methods of transportation would've gotten you there quicker.
If delayed, yes a bus or train would be faster, but not every flight in the world is delayed.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I doubt that, as B6 does not have AVOD on any aircraft today and there is no indication that they will be changing from the existing LiveTV offering to something new.

No it isn't. Flying is faster. But this route isn't about the NYC market so much as the northern NJ market.
I meant PTV...

Flying is faster in terms of time traveling. I know the actual flight is short, but factoring in the time to get to the airport, boarding, TSA, etc. it would be about the same time that a bus would take from departure to arrival.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N639DL
Flying is faster in terms of time traveling. I know the actual flight is short, but factoring in the time to get to the airport, boarding, TSA, etc. it would be about the same time that a bus would take from departure to arrival.
I disagree. I used to commute NYC-WAS on a regular basis. I often took the train because I was much more productive during the trip but even accounting for ground transfer times on both ends the flying was still faster. Given that BOS is at least 45-60 minutes longer by train/bus and only maybe 10 minutes longer flying, if that, the flight with everything else is almost always still going to be faster.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:00 pm

I disagree. I used to commute NYC-WAS on a regular basis. I often took the train because I was much more productive during the trip but even accounting for ground transfer times on both ends the flying was still faster. Given that BOS is at least 45-60 minutes longer by train/bus and only maybe 10 minutes longer flying, if that, the flight with everything else is almost always still going to be faster.
Well I am a person that wants more time in the airport before boarding. I feel rushed to get through security and board right away. From the time it takes from my house to the airport, the time I would want to spend before flying out, the actual flight time, and getting to Manhattan would be slightly less than taking a bus or train from departure to arrival.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:27 pm

Well I am a person that wants more time in the airport before boarding.
How much time do you need? At the Marine Air Terminal anything more than 30 minutes inside the terminal is way too much. It isn't rushed unless you leave your office in midtown at 12:03pm and make the 12:30pm shuttle (Yes, I did that once but that's not the timing I'm counting in my above report).

If you give a metric of spending excessive time at the airport prior to the flight than a train from NYC to anywhere could be faster than flying; it just depends on how long that stay is.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:01 pm

How much time do you need? At the Marine Air Terminal anything more than 30 minutes inside the terminal is way too much. It isn't rushed unless you leave your office in midtown at 12:03pm and make the 12:30pm shuttle (Yes, I did that once but that's not the timing I'm counting in my above report).

If you give a metric of spending excessive time at the airport prior to the flight than a train from NYC to anywhere could be faster than flying; it just depends on how long that stay is.
For example:

30 mins from my house to central parking at BOS
90 mins from car to door closing
75 mins gate to gate BOS-LGA
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:35 am

90 mins from car to door closing
I'd say that you're leaving at least 30 if not 45 or 60 minutes on the table there in wait time. I'm a mass transit guy, not a car guy, so my travel time to/from the airport is a bit different but for Shuttle operations I would never arrive 45 minutes prior to departure in NYC and generally the same in BOS or LGA. Just not worth it to camp out in the gate area.

Even still, the numbers you've posted have the trip at 3:15 so far. Add in 15 minutes to deplane and 30 more minutes to get to your final destination and you're up to 4 hours total. There is no bus nor train that can do the BOS-NYC run - including ground transfers at both ends - anywhere near that fast. Flying is faster. Period.

Back when I was commuting to DC I would take the train anyways roughly half the time because I was much more productive on the train than in the air, but it was not faster.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:06 pm

I'd say that you're leaving at least 30 if not 45 or 60 minutes on the table there in wait time. I'm a mass transit guy, not a car guy, so my travel time to/from the airport is a bit different but for Shuttle operations I would never arrive 45 minutes prior to departure in NYC and generally the same in BOS or LGA. Just not worth it to camp out in the gate area.

Even still, the numbers you've posted have the trip at 3:15 so far. Add in 15 minutes to deplane and 30 more minutes to get to your final destination and you're up to 4 hours total. There is no bus nor train that can do the BOS-NYC run - including ground transfers at both ends - anywhere near that fast. Flying is faster. Period.

Back when I was commuting to DC I would take the train anyways roughly half the time because I was much more productive on the train than in the air, but it was not faster.
Greyhound does 4h20m BOS-NYC. I know it's out of South Station in BOS but don't know where the 'New York, NY' station is.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Greyhound does 4h20m BOS-NYC. I know it's out of South Station in BOS but don't know where the 'New York, NY' station is.
You have to lookup on the webpages at www.greyhound.com to find any streets where you want go there. I think it is Grand Central Terminals where you will stop there.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Port Authority. Ugh.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by cjgibson
You'd rather add 2+ hours to the trip and risk a misconnect in BOS vs. taking a CO non-stop?
I was thinking of the secondary VFR and leisure market.

Yes, if you're traveling on business or time is tight, one would most likely opt for the CO nonstop.

But if one is traveling for VFR or leisure, and the price is significantly lower, or one has a free ticket, a one stop itinery on B6 where the long segment (BOS-SEA) is comfortable, shouldn't be a deal breaker.

In addition to transcon flights, B6 also has interline agreements with some foreign carriers and AA for TATL service.

What would be the probable likelihood of a misconnect in BOS?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I was thinking of the secondary VFR and leisure market.
What's VFR?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
You have to lookup on the webpages at www.greyhound.com to find any streets where you want go there. I think it is Grand Central Terminals where you will stop there.
Hmm...I'm pretty sure that's where it is but I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me because I'm likely to never ride Greyhound again.

Originally Posted by amejr999
Port Authority. Ugh.
Tell me about it. I say they just tear down both JFK and LGA and build a huge modern airport. It's much better than doing all of these renovation projects.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:57 am

Port Authority, and 4:20 is slower than 4:00, isn't it??

Originally Posted by nerd
What's VFR?
Visiting Friends and Relatives. It describes passengers who aren't on business nor just on vacation. A ton of JetBlue's traffic in the Caribbean is in the VFR market.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:02 pm

Port Authority, and 4:20 is slower than 4:00, isn't it??
Where is the Port Authority?

Yes, it is slower.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:29 pm

Where is the Port Authority?
The Port Authority Bus Terminal is between 8 & 9th Avenues and 40 & 42nd streets in Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.