Wiki Posts
Search

Question on JetBlue pricing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Question on JetBlue pricing

Hi Everyone,

First time posting, long time lingering. I have a question about JetBlue fares as I’m planning a trip from Portland ME -> Orlando in late September and the pricing seems a bit high ($119 one-way). With SouthWest releasing their Fall schedule next Tuesday, does anyone know if JetBlue would try and compete by lowering their prices?

I prefer JetBlue but if I can grab flights out on Manchester NH on SouthWest for $79-$99 versus JetBlue and their $119 cost I might have to do it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
Hi and welcome to FT. I checked the end of September and while I don't know your dates or restrictions, I noted the cheapest r/t is ~$220. The $119 and $109 fares seem to be prominent for the rest of the week. Someone here on this forum noted that Bing Travel has a predictor tool, which lucky for you (lol) isn't able to predict whether fares will change for this route. However, Bing Travel seems to be a cool site, comparable to the other major search engines.

If your dates are flexible then the $220 ($89 each one-way) seems like a good deal. Now I happen to jet pretty exclusively with jetBlue and recommend them, but it does seem that AirTran has lower fares, so if you are only concerned with fares AirTran has $195 r/t with connection in ATL.

Hope that helps...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBLU421NYC
but it does seem that AirTran has lower fares, so if you are only concerned with fares AirTran has $195 r/t with connection in ATL.
I'd pay the extra $25 up front for the non-stop and extra legroom that jetBlue offers over AirTran. At the $79 price point I'd be on WN. I do not think that jetBlue is going to match WN prices when they're released nor do I necessarily think that the WN prices are going to be so cheap this far out.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, luccadrake!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks everyone!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: WN CP & A list, FL Elite, B6, Hilton Honors VIP, Marriott Gold
I fly out of Portland and Manchester a lot. I perfer Portland for easy parking and no wait at security (Not that Manchester is bad). Also perfer both Jetblue and Airtran over Southwest. I perfer seat assignments over cattle call boarding.

Anyway, I booked the same cities Portland to Orlando for April. It was $79 each way for Airtran or $129 each way for Jetblue. When I go to Wash DC from Portland, I ususaly go Airtran for the price and $49 upgrade to Business class option on the day of the flight. But to Orlando, I decided on Jetblue because of their non stop. If it was not a non stop, then Airtran would have been a no brainer for me. I also perfer internet (on all Airtran flights) over TV (Jetblue).

Airtran is consistantly lower than Jetblue to Orlando (most other cities too). But Jetblue is more comfortable in coach and has the non stop. It really depends on what is important to you.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saltydog
I fly out of Portland and Manchester a lot. I perfer Portland for easy parking and no wait at security (Not that Manchester is bad). Also perfer both Jetblue and Airtran over Southwest. I perfer seat assignments over cattle call boarding.

Anyway, I booked the same cities Portland to Orlando for April. It was $79 each way for Airtran or $129 each way for Jetblue. When I go to Wash DC from Portland, I ususaly go Airtran for the price and $49 upgrade to Business class option on the day of the flight. But to Orlando, I decided on Jetblue because of their non stop. If it was not a non stop, then Airtran would have been a no brainer for me. I also perfer internet (on all Airtran flights) over TV (Jetblue).

Airtran is consistantly lower than Jetblue to Orlando (most other cities too). But Jetblue is more comfortable in coach and has the non stop. It really depends on what is important to you.
Im finding that B6,FL or WN are only cheap if you are lucky to grab their ElCheapo fares once those are sold out look out, as many times I find the fares to be higher on those 3 then say CO or DL etc

Picked up a NY-FLL tkt last week for this coming Sun , ended up on CO as B6,FL,WN were all over $50 more and combine that with either a late night flight down arriving around midnight+ and a 6am flight back up, so basically leaving me with just Mon down there, instead of 3 days

I checked out of ISP,LGA,JFK,EWR and PHL and for kicks BWI and it held true for all those airports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.