Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Do's and buy's in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Must Do's and buy's in Tokyo

Following this thread which started in 2004, I'd like to start another one with more updated info. (Original thread got a little strange near the end...)

My wife and I will have 2 full days to spend in Tokyo before we head back home to Chicago. I've been to Tokyo once before, she hasn't.

We're definately going to hit the fish market. I skipped this last time, and really regret it now. I also want to take my wife to the bottom of the department stores. Do you have any department stores we should hit in particular?

Also, I noticed that in the above mentioned thread, somebody recommended the New York Bar atop the Park Hyatt. Per the Hyatt website, there is a Y2,000- cover charge for Monday - Saturday after 8pm and Y2,500- cover charge on Sunday after 7pm. There is also another bar in the same hotel, but I can't tell if that's at the base of the hotel or high above the city.

Any other suggestions are also appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
The basement of Tokyu called the Tokyu Food Show in Shibuya is my favourite. You can find a lot of nice things down there and food. Always very lively and busy.. If you take the Ginza line, it actually stops inside Tokyu.. on the 3rd floor or something.. pretty cool
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
Also, I noticed that in the above mentioned thread, somebody recommended the New York Bar atop the Park Hyatt. Per the Hyatt website, there is a Y2,000- cover charge for Monday - Saturday after 8pm and Y2,500- cover charge on Sunday after 7pm. There is also another bar in the same hotel, but I can't tell if that's at the base of the hotel or high above the city.
The other bar is also high above the city, just not quite as high as the New York. It's definitely worth the trip, although even better is to get to the New York before the cover charge kicks in.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

F There is also another bar in the same hotel, but I can't tell if that's at the base of the hotel or high above the city.
All of the same hotel (Park Hyatt) is high above the city. There is no 'base' level.
The alternative bar is called "The Peak Bar" (or The Peak Lounge) and is on the 41st floor. I'm not aware of any supplement here. Other regulars on this forum know it much better than I do.
http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...nges/index.jsp

Although I've visited many of the 'depachika' (basement food halls at department stores) in Tokyo, I'm not sure if there is one that is 'better' than the rest, it's all down to preference and needs. Mitsukoshi may offer one of the most 'polished' of the depachika, but I tend to gravitate towards the Isetan stores for my own requirements.
This is one of the few areas where a tour might make the experience more worthwhile.
The local government offer a free depachika tour here:
http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/en...e/guide_2.html
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Any other suggestions are also appreciated.
There's plenty of things to do and buy. It all depends on what your tastes are.

You could go to 3 star Michelin Italian/French restos, maid cafes in Akihabara, hot springs in Hakone.... the list is endless.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by Steve M
The other bar is also high above the city, just not quite as high as the New York. It's definitely worth the trip, although even better is to get to the New York before the cover charge kicks in.
I've done this bar and the cover charge is even put on your bill in the bar after you've paid for your little appetizers that you have in the bar. Think of it as your "inexpensive elevation charge." This bar is much higher -- its on the top floor of the Park Hyatt when you go (take the _other_ elevator up to access it). Its also the same bar that Bill Murray grinned as he sat in it for his take in "Lost in Translation." as he was searching for lost romance.

Sanosuke!

Last edited by Sanosuke; Aug 16, 2009 at 5:42 pm
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sanosuke
I've done this bar and the cover charge is even put on your bill in the bar after you've paid for your little appetizers that you have in the bar. Think of it as your "inexpensive elevation charge."
Please could you clarify for the OP which bar you are referring to.

'The Peak Bar' or 'The New York Bar'?

(You've mentioned before it was The New York Bar where you had your non-alcoholic cocktail and fruit bowl). This is the Bar that has the hefty cover charge. ChiTownAbs is enquiring about The Peak Bar.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was referring to the New York Bar. Most nights there is a live jazz singer and accompanist doing sets here too so the door charge is partially for that.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
Ah, thank you, I was wondering if you could get in before the cover charge kicks in! We do arrive around 3pm into NRT, maybe we'll do this on our first night.

I have fond memories of walking Akihabara the day the Sony PSP (December 2004) was launched. We'll definately hit that up as well.

I also recommended to my wife that we pop in "Lost In Translation" before we leave.

Any other "must see and do" suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
The local government offer a free depachika tour here:
http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/en...e/guide_2.html
Thank you! Very cool, and I love the price!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: UA GS
We're definately going to hit the fish market. I skipped this last time, and really regret it now. I also want to take my wife to the bottom of the department stores. Do you have any department stores we should hit in particular?
Do you know the details for visiting the tuna auctions, etc? When we went the first time, we didn't know anything besides the time (5am), so the MO concierge arranged the car and maps for us. There seem to be some rules in place following the temporary ban on visitors.

check out ranKing ranQueen, locations all over Tokyo. Basically, they sell the top 3/5/10 ranking items in Japan - candy, cosmetics, CDs, etc, totally random stuff. It's an interesting cultural experience. I picked up some funny gifts there. Try the one in Shinjuku or Shibuya.

I like the Mitsukoshi depachika.

An amusing thing in Tokyo is the Harajuku girls in and around Takeshita-dori. The gothic lolita fashion is really something to see. The shopping around Omotesando is far more interesting to me than any department store, plus the architecture is amazing. Check out in particular the Prada store in Aoyama designed by Herzog & de Meuron.

The Meiji Shrine. SecState Clinton visited earlier this year.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
ranKing, ranQueen is pretty cool - and a big thumbs up on the architecture around Omotesando in Aoyama - the Prada store is breathtaking - and there are several other very cool buildings in the area (and an easy walk from Harajuku - but the girls are really out on Sundays, less so during the week, we found).

If you go to Tokyu for the food hall - step outside and visit the Starbucks - seating on the 2nd floor lets you watch the crowds cross in a rhythmic mayhem.

As for scenic bars - check out the bar at the Mandarin Oriental - on the 38th floor, nice views of the city - but the real cool feature is the bathroom - floor to ceiling windows. The men's urinals face the windows, the women's sink is at the window - its really an awesome experience.

Roppongi Hills is pretty cool as well - again, fantastic architecture - a city of tomorrow, today.

Have a great time! We can't wait to go back.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by ace26
Do you know the details for visiting the tuna auctions, etc? When we went the first time, we didn't know anything besides the time (5am), so the MO concierge arranged the car and maps for us. There seem to be some rules in place following the temporary ban on visitors.
Since you already know the time. There is very little else to know except 1) there is a lineup to get in - mostly foreigners (not long in terms of wait time) 2) no camera flash - but it is not dark in there, if you use no flash with ISO 400 - it's good enough 3) Don't touch the fish.. There must be at least 10 signs saying no flashes and the guards there tell you prior to you entering, but I can't understand why so many dumb people still have their flashes on.. And these guards speak perfect English too.. And yes the signs are in ENGLISH! And why do some people must have the urge to touch a frozen fish?? It's frozen!! Go touch a rock or something...Haha.. No wonder the Japanese thinks we're all nuts..
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Since you already know the time. There is very little else to know except 1) there is a lineup to get in - mostly foreigners (not long in terms of wait time) 2) no camera flash - but it is not dark in there, if you use no flash with ISO 400 - it's good enough 3) Don't touch the fish.. There must be at least 10 signs saying no flashes and the guards there tell you prior to you entering, but I can't understand why so many dumb people still have their flashes on.. And these guards speak perfect English too.. And yes the signs are in ENGLISH! And why do some people must have the urge to touch a frozen fish?? It's frozen!! Go touch a rock or something...Haha.. No wonder the Japanese thinks we're all nuts..
When I was there, I think the visitor area was clearly marked. It was really just a lane through the middle of the auction area. I don't remember the signs, but perhaps some of those tourists don't speak/read English? Or maybe they're just oblivious. Taking photos was easy; plenty of fluorescent lights in there. Actually, I think the hardest part was finding the auction area because the driver dropped us off outside the market (cars can't get into the market). Watch out for those trucks/carts!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ace26
check out ranKing ranQueen, locations all over Tokyo. Basically, they sell the top 3/5/10 ranking items in Japan - candy, cosmetics, CDs, etc, totally random stuff. It's an interesting cultural experience. I picked up some funny gifts there. Try the one in Shinjuku or Shibuya.
Excuse my ignorance -- What do you mean by "top 3/5/10 ranking items"? How do you rank the items? I guess the store only sells 3-10 different items?

edit:
found this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.