FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Must Do's and buy's in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:19 am
ace26

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
We're definately going to hit the fish market. I skipped this last time, and really regret it now. I also want to take my wife to the bottom of the department stores. Do you have any department stores we should hit in particular?
Do you know the details for visiting the tuna auctions, etc? When we went the first time, we didn't know anything besides the time (5am), so the MO concierge arranged the car and maps for us. There seem to be some rules in place following the temporary ban on visitors.

check out ranKing ranQueen, locations all over Tokyo. Basically, they sell the top 3/5/10 ranking items in Japan - candy, cosmetics, CDs, etc, totally random stuff. It's an interesting cultural experience. I picked up some funny gifts there. Try the one in Shinjuku or Shibuya.

I like the Mitsukoshi depachika.

An amusing thing in Tokyo is the Harajuku girls in and around Takeshita-dori. The gothic lolita fashion is really something to see. The shopping around Omotesando is far more interesting to me than any department store, plus the architecture is amazing. Check out in particular the Prada store in Aoyama designed by Herzog & de Meuron.

The Meiji Shrine. SecState Clinton visited earlier this year.