Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Was he? Isn't he Japanese as he is a Yokozuna?
He is Mongolian.

Come to think of it, I don't know if they naturalize or not. I don't think Takanohana or Akebono did. As far as I know, they retained their American citizenship. I'm pretty sure Asa is still Mongolian as that is where he went "home to" to recover from his nervous breakdown.

JR
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:37 am

Going soon and was wondering how long it's been taking on average to go through...
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
He is Mongolian.

Come to think of it, I don't know if they naturalize or not. I don't think Takanohana or Akebono did. As far as I know, they retained their American citizenship. I'm pretty sure Asa is still Mongolian as that is where he went "home to" to recover from his nervous breakdown.

JR
I think most yokozunas naturalize at the point of reaching the yokozuna rank. Asashoryu is a notable exception and IIRC, he got some flak for not taking up Japanese citizenship (and more so for being dumbly vocal about not doing so).

Oh and Takanohana is Japanese-born, you may have been thinking of Musashimaru or maybe Konishiki. Takanohana was one of the first "cute" rikishis and he was dating Miyazawa Rie at one point. He has slimmed down tremendously after retiring and can be seen ringside as one of the oyakatas.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
I just entered Japan after the JFK-NRT AA flight; took about 30-45 min to go through (I was one of the last people from my flight, and it took me closer to 45...if I'd been faster, could have been a shorter wait)
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by tide
I think most yokozunas naturalize at the point of reaching the yokozuna rank. Asashoryu is a notable exception and IIRC, he got some flak for not taking up Japanese citizenship (and more so for being dumbly vocal about not doing so)..
And for playing soccer while "injured." Not the brightest bulb in the box. I didn't know that about other foreign-born yokozuna.

Oh and Takanohana is Japanese-born, you may have been thinking of Musashimaru or maybe Konishiki...
Oops! Right.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:01 am

Next week, my return to NRT will be at Terminal 1 North. How do I recognize the line for those that don't have to be fingerprinted/photographed? I assume that the line for those "exempt" from the new procedures should be the same line as for those that are registered.

thanks,
Marc
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I zoomed through when I came in, possibly because it was at a less typical time (7:30pm on a Friday, T2). Just about the fastest I have ever been through immigration. Amazing!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question OT for those that have been here longer than 7 years!

Do any of you long timers think that the authorities kept our original fingerprints from after the supreme court case defeat? If so where do you think they keep them? At Homushyo, Nyukokukanrishyo, Shiakushyou?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:38 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by imiloa
Going soon and was wondering how long it's been taking on average to go through...
In two recent entries in Terminal 1, one in late Oct 07 around 11PM, the other in early Nov 07 around 3PM, there was either no line or one person ahead of me.

I was dreading the 50-60 minute wait I'd come to expect. Going out took about 10 minutes each time.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rjh
In two recent entries in Terminal 1, one in late Oct 07 around 11PM, the other in early Nov 07 around 3PM, there was either no line or one person ahead of me.

I was dreading the 50-60 minute wait I'd come to expect. Going out took about 10 minutes each time.
We are looking at entries after November 19th...........
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Isn't that special, the xenophobes begin to line up all their ducks. When they finish with the foreigners who will they blame?
This whole deal seems inconsistent with this statement:

From Nikkei.net 12/3
On Nov. 28, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare released projections that by 2030, Japan's working population will have shrunk by some 10 million people compared to 2006. Accepting foreigners will be vital for maintaining the Japanese economy over the medium- to long-term future. As a result, many are realizing that the day when Japan must truly seek a symbiotic relationship with foreign residents is not far off.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:23 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I entered this afternoon, NRT T1 @ 3:40PM. Our flight got in about 20 minutes early and when I came down the stairs into the immigration hall, I was shocked to see that it was empty!

Cut through the rat maze and was directed right into a booth. Got fingerprinted and photographed in parallel with the immigration officer messing with my passport and immigration card. Overall, I would say that the process took no more time than before.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Oh and Takanohana is Japanese-born, you may have been thinking of Musashimaru or maybe Konishiki.
Or maybe Takamiyama, the first foreign-born rikishi to win a top division championship (and Akebono's stablemaster).
Old Dec 5, 2007, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Came in on NRT T2 today. The great unwashed line was the usual CF, and the Japanese lanes were all moving smoothly. There is an orange lane for re-entry permit holders, which was also empty. Got off the plane at 14:30, was safely esconced on the Skyliner at 14:42, so obviously not an issue.

Processing took slightly longer as the machine takes the prints and the picture.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:53 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Safari/413 Nokia/X01NK)

Passed through NRT twice since the new system started, and today finally got to see for myself how it is at KIX.
Out of about 15 counters, five were dedicated to foreigners and reentry permit holders. For the latter, there was an express lane to get to the counters faster, which was a relief (I though the two groups above would be lumped into one line and processed in first come first served order)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.